Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 (Pentax fit)

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
As some of you may have seen from a post yesterday, I am looking for a new lens.

The lens I have in mind is a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 (Pentax fit).

My question is this, I own a Samsung D-Xenon 50-200mm f4-5.6 and I am looking at the tamron to increase the focal range I can use and for the macro ability. However reports I have read suggest that the Tamron is soft past 200mm so is good for a tele up up to 200mm.

So other than the macro function I get with the Tamron, am I gaining anything by getting Tamron?

I thought about macro filters and a teleconvertor but would need one that is digital so that I could control the apature on the Samsun lens but can't find one and they'd more than likely be expensive.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

I have the same lens for my K20, I bought it when i had my K100D and for the price it's a nice lens. I know some people prefer the Sigma 70-300 APO version but I have never tried that one.

As for being soft over 200mm this is news to me, the following was shot handheld at 300mm, see what you think.

2501777322_7dfe14eb3d_o.jpg

This one is at 200mm

2423580502_eea4b17a6c.jpg

another 300mm one, this has also been cropped:

2423608268_fd58e5de0b.jpg

DarknFuzzy

thanks very much for your help there. This is the first time I have seen shots taken with the lens. And great shots they are too.

ANy chance you could give me a little feedback on how you rate it? Usability etc?

You have helped a lot, likely to go and get one tomorrow. Thanks again,

Rob

Hi again

I like the lens a lot, it's quite light and easy to carry, focus is a little noisy but nothing major. For the price it is a nice lens, I have used it alot and had no problems with it so far (touches wood). Build quality is pretty good, feels nice in the hand, alhtough not a true 1:1 macro lens I have got some decent close up shots with it. Unfortunately none are on my Flickr to show you.

You may want to look at the the Sigma alternative too (with APO), I have heard many singing it's praises so it maybe worth just looking at to give you another option.

I hope you enjoy which ever lens you go for. :)

Hi Rob,

I have a Canon fit of the Tamron lens. I like mine. It takes nice shots. I don't get a 100% hit rate but I don't know if that is the lens or the operator :shrug:

I am lusting over something far more heavy and expensive - but there's no rush I am happy with my Tamron.

The only real drawback for me is it's slow (f/5.6) at 300mm so when I am trying to take Rugby shots in the middle of winter I have to up the ISO and give up in the middle of the second half...

Here are some examples:

Back