kood filters

Edit My Images
Yes
brought 3 skylight filters 2x77mm 1x 62mm £21 for all three very impressed and cheap to boot, i have hoya as well and tried a comparison, i could spot nothing between the two, one £39 the other £6. so Whats the difference apart from price, will be staying with kood, i think. I am not saying that if anyone purchased a dearer filter that in my opinion it was not worth the cost, just trying to understand the visual difference for the extra $$$$

Regards Mark.

One of the areas where expensive (or top quality) filters excel over the cheaper (low quality) variety is their abilty to cope with difficult lighting situations.....multiple point source lights at varying angles. It's frequently seen that the lower quality ones will suffer the effects of internal reflections from within the lens casing or camera's mirror box.
Single coated filters are pretty much a none starter for all but the most basic and evenly spread lighting conditions.

Bob

i have hoya as well and tried a comparison
What did you do to compare them? Did you take some text shots? If you can show us the results, we can comment on your methodology.

One of the areas where expensive (or top quality) filters excel over the cheaper (low quality) variety is their abilty to cope with difficult lighting situations.....multiple point source lights at varying angles. It's frequently seen that the lower quality ones will suffer the effects of internal reflections from within the lens casing or camera's mirror box.
Single coated filters are pretty much a none starter for all but the most basic and evenly spread lighting conditions.

Bob

Hi Bob and thanks for your post, This could be the case in difficult lighting situations but for everyday use, genral use they seam OK to me, i would be just as panic stricken damaging a £40-140 pound filter as i would the lens it's self albeit on at smaller scale, choose the filters for three reasons.

1, protection
2, Cost
3, i hoped to see no differance in the finished product, and i could not.

Regards Mark

What did you do to compare them? Did you take some text shots? If you can show us the results, we can comment on your methodology.

Hi and as i said above for general lens protection the effect of a skylight filter isn’t noticeable under normal circumstances, but all filters have an effect to a greater or lesser degree there is another condition that would allow differences to be seen. The most commonly used protective filter is the clear UV filter and when shooting in higher elevations where there is actually enough UV for the filter to do its thing, you will receive a clearer image than if you had not used a filter. In most other shooting applications the UV filter is of no consequence except as protection against drops, knocks, and bangs to the lens.

A little shadow is apparent at the corners and you may get some visual discrepancy but This is easily corrected in RAW if required. Anyone with a cropped sensor will have no problems.

No loss of quality is apparent at 100% viewing.

these where taken from a web site before i payed for the filters, most problems caused by cheap/expensive filter can be corrected in PS and because i take more than on picture of the same thing i can choose the best image.. the one i like, so my methodology was i could see no differance apart from my bank balance being a little more healthy, most of the shots i will do will be indoors anyway.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark

Kood use Hoya (Tokina) glass. No surprise at all.

I've got the Kood version of the Hoya R72 IR filter and they are indentical.

Hi Mark

Hi Mark

I've got the Kood version of the Hoya R72 IR filter and they are indentical.

Kood so good you said it twice :)

picture

2767721142_7927760c4f.jpg

both using same filter one PS to take out streaks/flare

2766873097_f1b6c86071.jpg

I think i will keep my £6.50 filter on for the now.

Regards Mark

If you can afford expensive protective filters - OK.

If you can't, buy the less expensive brand then watch out for those "difficult" lighting situations and take the UV filter off.

I was just about to say the above, ^^^^^^^ direct sunlight or dark streets lamp post lighting or any lights from shops neon signs etc ...take the filter off as these would be the kind of shots to give flair or ghosting, if it be a £120 B+W or a £6.00 Kood ;)

Regards Mark.

Back