My first camera!

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
I wonder how many of the old timers here have kept the first camera they ever owned.

In the late 1960's my father, who was a keen amateur tog when I was growing up, gave me a Kodak Hawkeye Model B as my first camera. It was quite old even then (manufactured between 1926 and 1933) but was common and cheap so he thought it would be a good place for me to start. It took 120 roll film which we would process in the loft which my dad had converted into a darkroom. The prints were pretty crummy really but the satisfaction was huge, I just wish I'd kept some of my first prints even if they were bad... Mind you, my photo's aren't much better now ...! :)

My Hawkeye is one of the very few mementoes of my youth that I still have today, one day I'll stick another roll of film in and see what comes out!

Anybody else start with a relic like this or am I the most ancient one here? :D

hawkeye001.jpg

Flashy

I'm sure I've still got my first camera somewhere, a Box Brownie or something! (must be 50 yr old)

I've still got my 28yr old Nikon FE as well.

My first camera was a Zenit EM - still have it, despite numerous attempts to swap it for cups of coffee or newspapers :LOL:

My first camera was a 400D, I feel about 4 years old now. :LOL:

I'm gunna throw a roll of film into my dads Pentax SFX at some point and have a dabble, if that scores me extra brownie points?

I'm gunna throw a roll of film into my dads Pentax SFX at some point and have a dabble, if that scores me extra brownie points?

I think you need a Brownie to get brownie points! :thinking: :LOL:

taz said:
I'm sure I've still got my first camera somewhere, a Box Brownie or something!... My first camera was a Zenit EM... Mine was a Brownie 127

Nice to see that I'm not the only old git around here :D...!

Flashy

Not sure that I consider myself an old timer :shake: but my first camera,way back when, was/is a Kodak 126 instamatic. When I rediscovered it when I cleared my parent's house it still had a film in it!! Don't suppose you can get the films anymore:thinking:

Flashman

I had that very same model, I can't remember where I got it or where it went though :thinking:

I had something like this

271867151_1dd981d991.jpg

My dad's never thrown a camera out and he has my old ones so I'll find out next weekend what it actually was and report back. It's from 1984/5 and took disc 'film' cartridges which had 15 exposures on each. Looking back I must have bankrupted my parents with the amount of pics I took.

271867151_1dd981d991.jpg

My dad's never thrown a camera out and he has my old ones so I'll find out next weekend what it actually was and report back. It's from 1984/5 and took disc 'film' cartridges which had 15 exposures on each. Looking back I must have bankrupted my parents with the amount of pics I took.

I think I still have one of those somewhere :LOL:

I think I still have one of those somewhere :LOL:

I definitely have. I have just posted pictures of a much tattier Dixons 4500 on my Can You Guess ... thread with two images from the camera. I might still have my Zenit somewhere. I think I started with a 125, but can't find it now.

My first camera (that I can remember what it wasm I know I had used a 110 format camera before that) was an Ilford Sportsman, took 35mm film as I recall, and had been my fathers before that. It was 25 yrs old when I got it, which would put it at manufactured around 1953. I did win a local photographer competition in the under 14 category with it. This died, and I ended up using an oly trip, and when my dad upgraded his om1 he gave it all to me. Then a digital Fuji, P&S till after too many drops the housing split, the z2 I still have and now the 450d. Finally I'm trying to learn to be more creative with it, only taken 30 yeards :D.

My first camera was the Kodak Brownie 127 - 12 shots @ 4"x4", first slr was a Canon EOS 10, first digital was a Nikon Coolpix 995 (which I've still got and use occasionally) and finally managed to get my first dslr very recently which is a Canon 40D.

Now all I've got to do is learn how to take a decent pic.

271867151_1dd981d991.jpg

This was my first camera too, or something similar. :) It had no built in flash but a flash that fit on the top with 8 single use bulbs in a strip. If i'm remembering correctly that is, seems a long time ago now. :thinking:

:LOL:
but mat that wont be around in 20 years still working, i have my dads SLR ok it need a clean but its still working and will do for a long time to come :D
They dont make them like they used to :LOL:

....a flash that fit on the top with 8 single use bulbs in a strip...

Yeah, I remember those! And 'Magicube's' too... 4 single use flashes in a plastic cube. It was great to be able to take multiple flash photo's without having to change the bulb each time! With the cost of them it made you think each time you fired a flash off though! Eeeeeeh... them were't days!

Flashy

My first camera back in the sixties was a Box Brownie.

Followed by:

Halina 35x with mountable range finder and separate light meter.

Chining 35mm SLR

Pentax 35mm SLR

Then Nikon 35MM which stayed with me until last year when I finally went digital.

Got them all somewhere apart from the Nikon.

My first camera was an AE-1 with an interesting life story which my dad loaned me... He's now got it back and it lives with him.

My first would have been a Kodak 110 Instamatic (I think that is what it was called).

Back