Nikon D90 Vs D300

Edit My Images
Yes
Which would you get?

Guys, I'm in a bit of a quandary as to which of the above to get.

I've asked this question briefly before but haven't really had a definitive answer - enough to help me make up my mind. I'm really after your opinons more than anything as the D90 isn't out in the UK yet. I have read a lot of reviews/previews already and still can't make up my mind.

I had my heart set on getting the D300 and actually ordered it before I read the previews for the D90. It seems the the D90 has pretty much all the features I am looking for in the D300 bar a few semi-pro features. The D300 was the perfect camera for me bar the price and I've come to realise that the video feature in the D90 could come in handy on holidays? I'm not a pro, so either cameras would be good and given that its taken me some time to save for this, I doubt I'd be in the market for another body for sometime.

This is the argument I am faced in my head over the last few weeks.

D300 Advantages/D90 Disadvantages

* D300 has better ergonomics - this is far superior than the D90
* D300 is a semi-pro camera and has the quick adjusting switches and buttons
* D300 is available now, no idea when D90 is available
* D300 is fully seal against dust and water
* D300 has 51 AF points against the D90's 11 points
* D300 can do 6fps but I would be happy with the D90's 4.5fps for now.
* D300 has a better metering system
* D300 is £820 (price I can get it at)

D300 Disadvantages/D90 Advantages

* D90 is cheaper, initial indications seem to pitch it at about £600-£700 which is a good £300 or so cheaper than the RRP for D300.
* D90 has the new video feature (but is limited to 5min - so may not be that useful)
* D90 still has the "auto" mode which despite it being useless 99% of the time it can be useful for those split second moments where you "need" to get the shot before it goes.
* D90 is said to make better use of its 12MP sensor.
* D90 could potentially perform better at high ISO (rumours)
* D90 is brand new, D300 is approaching the end of production

So, what are your thoughts on this? Anyone else in the same situation?

I am potentially in a similiar situation. Wouldn't be for a little while so the D90 release date probably wouldn't matter for me, but i'd be interested in seeing what people say. My gut feeling says D300 but for me the high ISO performance could be the deciding factor when the D90 gets reviewed properly.

The D300 also has a larger buffer, if you plan on shooting bursts in RAW.

I'd say the D300 is better for action (larger buffer, better AF, better metering, better continuous release) and work where the build quality comes in to play. Otherwise, a D90 would do you well, and has that video mode.

Im not sure on these last 3 comments,

I dont know waht you mean by better use of the 12mp sensor.

I cant see them making the D90 perform better at high iso than the D300. The D90 is basically a trimmed D300 + a video feature.

Yes the D90 is brand new, but the D300 is only just a year old, which probably means it will be a good 18 months before we see the D400, so its far from the end of its production.

oh and i should have added:

If you want a camera for amateur use, dont shoot sports in raw, and cost is an issue Get the D90.

If cost is no issue and you want the weather sealing, better handling, better metering, better AF, and built to last, get the D300

The D90 has the scene modes which the D300 doesn't. I originally was thinking of getting the D300 but now the D90 is out this month I'm tempted to get that. Amateur Photographer has a full hands on review of the D90 in the issue that comes out on Tuesday 16th September.

The D90 has the scene modes which the D300 doesn't.

you cant really count that as a pro/con though.

Scene modes are present on all consumer DSLR's and Removed from Prosumer DSLR's.

Nikon quite rightly assume that if you are looking at the D300 you dont need that guidance.

P,A,S,M is all you get, and i never personally use P, i use A or S for general everyday stuff, and M for Night Work

I dont know waht you mean by better use of the 12mp sensor.
I don't know either mate, its something I read on several sites including the DPReview forums.

I cant see them making the D90 perform better at high iso than the D300. The D90 is basically a trimmed D300 + a video feature.
Again, this is something speculated on several forum sites including comments from people on here stating the same thing. I would personally be happy with the D300 high iso performance - which is one of the main reasons I'm considering it. But if the D90 can do just the same or better for cheaper, then its a very difficult decision to weigh up. :shrug:

Yes the D90 is brand new, but the D300 is only just a year old, which probably means it will be a good 18 months before we see the D400, so its far from the end of its production.
I was told that the D300 would have about another 8-12 months before they end production now that the D700 is out. Having said that, if you're sure it still has 18 months of production left then thats another tick in the pro-D300 list for me.(y)

I was told that the D300 would have about another 8-12 months before they end production now that the D700 is out. Having said that, if you're sure it still has 18 months of production left then thats another tick in the pro-D300 list for me.(y)

The D700 has nothing to really do with the D300

The D700 is an FX body, to compete with the Canon 5D

When the D300 ceases production it will be to make way for the D400, and IMO i cant see that happening till early 2010

you cant really count that as a pro/con though.

Scene modes are present on all consumer DSLR's and Removed from Prosumer DSLR's.

Nikon quite rightly assume that if you are looking at the D300 you dont need that guidance.

P,A,S,M is all you get, and i never personally use P, i use A or S for general everyday stuff, and M for Night Work

Some people will prefer to have the scene modes as an opton!

the point i am making is if you "need" scene modes, then The D300 probably has alot of features on it that will never be of benefit.

All the scene modes are doing is assigning a priority to aperture or shutter depending on which one you are in

No way is the D300 nearing the end of it's production run, the D200 only just finished recently.
The D300 can do up to 8 frames a second (with battery grip) the D90 only does 4.5, the D300 has 14 bit processing against 12 bit for the D90.
Nikon claim the D90 has D300 low noise qualities (they should know if anybody does). The D300 does have a lot more options and custom functions, but the D90 has scene modes (usually not used by more advanced photographers, the program mode on the D300 works fine for grab shots) The D300 also has active D lighting.
At the end of the day it's your choice, I'd go for the D300 (I have one already) but if finances are tight get the D90, and spend the difference on a good lens, probably a more important variable. Wayne

I don't know either mate, its something I read on several sites including the DPReview forums.
Oh yeah, DPReview forum members are such experts (from reading all those reviews) :p

Again, this is something speculated on several forum sites including comments from people on here stating the same thing. I would personally be happy with the D300 high iso performance - which is one of the main reasons I'm considering it. But if the D90 can do just the same or better for cheaper, then its a very difficult decision to weigh up. :shrug:
Now try to do the homework yourself, look for samples so you can see and judge for yourself. If you're a RAW shooter, look for RAW samples.

How does the production time left make a camera better or worse?
I thought it's the features and output it can produce that matter.
The P mode on the D300 could possibly make up for the A mode.

You've said yourself that the D90 is probably enough for you, I'd say you're probably right. If you still can't decide, use a coin ;)

Which would you get?

Guys, I'm in a bit of a quandary as to which of the above to get.

............ The D300 was the perfect camera for me bar the price and I've come to realise that the video feature in the D90 could come in handy on holidays?

I think you answered your own question here.
Coming to the end of a production run doesnt make a camera obsolete overnight, it just means a newer model will be announced with different / newer features.
There are a lot of people still happy with their D50, D70, D70s and D100`s The D1 /D2 series are still taking great photos too!

If you want video and scene modes and want to save money, get the D90, when it comes out, I think thats the one you are really hankering after.

Allan

No way is the D300 nearing the end of it's production run, the D200 only just finished recently.

Thanks for confirming that, this just means it nudges me towards the D300.

The D300 can do up to 8 frames a second (with battery grip) the D90 only does 4.5, the D300 has 14 bit processing against 12 bit for the D90.
Yep, forgot about the 14-Bit processing, but I really doubt I'd be using 14-bit to be honest.

Nikon claim the D90 has D300 low noise qualities (they should know if anybody does). The D300 does have a lot more options and custom functions, but the D90 has scene modes (usually not used by more advanced photographers, the program mode on the D300 works fine for grab shots) The D300 also has active D lighting.

I've read a lot about both cameras recently and know most of the differences between them. I use mainly "Aperture" or "Shutter" priority settings about 95% of the time and of the remaining 5% I'd say most of it would be "manual" mode. I very rarely use P or Auto, usually only if I'm just lazy or theres a shot I know I'd miss if I start setting up the camera.

At the end of the day it's your choice, I'd go for the D300 (I have one already) but if finances are tight get the D90, and spend the difference on a good lens, probably a more important variable. Wayne

I am also leaning towards the D300 having read some of the replies to this thread but I just wanted assurance that the D300 is still the one to get or whether the D90 is the more attractive proposition.

14 bit seems to give a bit more range when recovering some half botched shots i find

(not that i ever botch a shot obviously :p )

So apart from holidays, what do you want to shoot with your camera?

This could have a bearing depending upon what your budget is for lenses.

How does the production time left make a camera better or worse? I thought it's the features and output it can produce that matter. The P mode on the D300 could possibly make up for the A mode.

Well price is one factor that comes to mind. If a model is indeed on its way out, or is overshadowed by a newer model then the price normally drops. Particularly in the used market.

You've said yourself that the D90 is probably enough for you, I'd say you're probably right. If you still can't decide, use a coin ;)
In terms of features the D90 is enough for me, but I have used the D80 and it doesn't quite fit as well in my hand as the D300 - even with the grip. Its ok but the D300 does feel very good in the hand. Also, if I end up waiting for the D90 and it ends up being retailed higher than the indications so far making the price gap smaller then I would have missed the opportunity to get the D300 for the price above.

So apart from holidays, what do you want to shoot with your camera?

I shoot a mainly motorsport, landscape and abstract photos. But my wife/family and friends are always complaining why I don't shoot photos of people much so I'm starting to do more of that now - not very well though! :(

This could have a bearing depending upon what your budget is for lenses.
I'm definitely prepared to spend on glass, but obviously not straight away as the D300 would have left a big hole in my pocket.

If you shoot motorsport, no question about it, get the D300.

In that game AF performance is everything, so why handicap yourself for the sake of a few quid?

(snip) In terms of features the D90 is enough for me, but I have used the D80 and it doesn't quite fit as well in my hand as the D300 - even with the grip. Its ok but the D300 does feel very good in the hand. Also, if I end up waiting for the D90 and it ends up being retailed higher than the indications so far making the price gap smaller then I would have missed the opportunity to get the D300 for the price above.

Seems to me that you have answered your own question, if you wait for the D90 every time you pick it up you will be thinking of how good the D300 felt in your hands.

Also, you can get the D300 NOW - how many shots will you miss while you are waiting for the D90? (Particularly since a lot of the D90's advantages you have listed are mere speculation by people who post on internet message boards.)

I am potentially in a similiar situation. Wouldn't be for a little while so the D90 release date probably wouldn't matter for me, but i'd be interested in seeing what people say. My gut feeling says D300 but for me the high ISO performance could be the deciding factor when the D90 gets reviewed properly.

D$%n you SuperCNJ you are gonna cost me money! lol :bonk:

Thanks to this thread I've gone from thinking about a body change to definately going for it. I've decided (partly as I haven't got any firm dates yet) that I'll cancel my pre-order for the new Sigma 1.4 and pocket the 330 notes, sell my D80 and buy a D300 and a trusty nifty fifty for £70 instead!

Lol, the Mrs is gonna kill me................:bat:

aye, motorsport will benefit from the better af, 51 point 3d malarky and increased fps along with the jazzy iso stuff

i thought i was happy with a d70 and d100 but the d300 has just blown me away tbh, buy within your budget but my choice would still be the 300

Nikon officially announce their products about 2 or three weeks before release, so it won't be long.

Buying from Hong Kong, or a grey import? Neither will have a valid Nikon UK warranty.

* D90 is cheaper, initial indications seem to pitch it at about £600-£700 which is a good £300 or so cheaper than the RRP for D300.
D300 has been out since Dec 2007 and has dropped to around the cheapest it will get. The D200 was still about £850 before the D300 was announced. The D90 will drop to about £500 after about six months, like the D80 did.

How so? It's the same sensor.

Again, it's the same sensor.

Erm, yes and no... The D300 still has at least another 12-15 months before any replacement is announced.

Seems to me that you have answered your own question, if you wait for the D90 every time you pick it up you will be thinking of how good the D300 felt in your hands.

Also, you can get the D300 NOW - how many shots will you miss while you are waiting for the D90? (Particularly since a lot of the D90's advantages you have listed are mere speculation by people who post on internet message boards.)

Yeah there has been a lot of speculation, but until it is officially out it is really all you have to go by. I know its never 100% reliable info, which is partially why I started this thread.

Nikon officially announce their products about 2 or three weeks before release, so it won't be long. Yeah I know, but I need to know by Friday.

Buying from Hong Kong, or a grey import? Neither will have a valid Nikon UK warranty. Not HK, I'm getting it brand new in the UK, so will definitely have the Nikon UK warranty.

D300 has been out since Dec 2007 and has dropped to around the cheapest it will get. The D200 was still about £850 before the D300 was announced. The D90 will drop to about £500 after about six months, like the D80 did.

How so? It's the same sensor. No idea, just something I read. It could be down to software/firmware or they could have made a few tweaks to the sensor given the pixel numbers have changed slightly.

Again, it's the same sensor. As above

Erm, yes and no... The D300 still has at least another 12-15 months before any replacement is announced. Cool (y)

Not HK, I'm getting it brand new in the UK, so will definitely have the Nikon UK warranty.

Not if it's a Grey import you won't. Check before you buy whether the warranty is from Nikon or the seller.

If you are not sure tell us the retailer so we can check.

I don't think we know for sure if the sensor in the D90 is the same as the D300 or not.

Also, scene modes change the picture controls as well, if you're shooting JPG or using Capture NX to process your RAW files. Portrait reduces saturation, macro enhances red and green, etc.

I had the same dilemma with the D80/D200. I couldn't see the benefit of the D200 at the time, but after a few months (and a shot of a D200) I realised what made it worth the extra money.

The D90/D300 are obviously going to cause the same sort of head scratching, however the D90, whilst it is an upgrade from the D80 isn't "new", it's basically a plastic D80 body with some of the D300s features (but not all, just like the D80/D200) and a few extra gimmicks to appeal to the consumer end of the market.

Whichever camera you buy will be an "old" model in 6 or 8 months, so I wouldn't worry too much about that bit of your dilemma ;)

The D90 will be the top-end consumer camera, while the D300 will be the top-end semi-pro DX-format body for some time yet... Don't even try and compare it to the D700/D3, as they are a completely different league. The line up will be D60/D90/D300/D700/D3 for some time to come...

Thanks a lot guys, I think I've pretty much made up my mind now. Everyone on here is of the same opinion that the D300 is the one to get and having just watched a few more video reviews on youtube I am convinced the D300 is the one for me! (y)

Feel free to use this thread for further debate/comparison between the two cameras though!

One final question, how can I check that the the camera has never been used before when I pick it up? Is there a counter on the D300?

One final question, how can I check that the the camera has never been used before when I pick it up? Is there a counter on the D300?

take a pic, then view the exif.

you could check file number on the cam, but that could have been reset.

The exif wont lie.

Back