Some tall buildings

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent yesterday afternoon wandering around central London (the Moorgate-Bank-Monument area) taking photos of the impressive architecture in the area. All shots taken through my Bronica ETRS with Velvia 50 film and processed last night in my kitchen/lab

All C&C welcome :)

Nice sharp images, would make a good 'Blue Series'

Some nice shots in this set. I like the way you have kept other buildings in the pictures to show size differences but I think most of them need the white balance adjusting as they seem to have a blue tint to the overall image.

Last edited:
Some nice shots in this set. I like the way you have kept other buildings in the pictures to show size differences but I think most of them need the white balance adjusting as they seem to have a blue tint to the overall image.

Thanks for your comments. I have done a thorough white balance on all of these. They're just very...blue ;)

Like these shots also. Number 6 has plenty of intrigue with the perspective and strange cone building. Difficult with the high contrast to show the detail in the street on the right. Nice shot and composition.

Thank you Mateo.

For the benefit of anyone that's interested, I made a comment in a another thread regarding the overall blueness and I'll repeat it here, which should provide a bit more insight as to why these images appear the way they do:

Quote: The sky was very blue on Saturday, but I think the reason why it's come out SO blue is due to the film being Velvia 50 (known for bringing out very rich colours) and possibly because of the developing which I did myself. I followed the developer manufacturer's instructions to the letter, but it does allow for variation in the amount of time you can keep the film in the developer fluid depending on the conditions of the exposures.

I'll try experimenting a little next time, though I could also try de-saturating the blue a little in Photoshop. (ps. I did do a standard white balancing in CS3 and didn't increase the saturation as it clearly wasn't required - just WB, levels, highlight/shadows adjust and sharpening)

Jeez! this thread is old! i thought it was only a couple of weeks ago i saw this!

Well done for trying E6. But... i think the blue cast is due to the dev.. i know from experience that E6 is tough to do by hand.. not impossible of course! ;) but you have to get it spot on with the temps and timings, the mix has to good too! IMHO if you need your images to come out as faithful as possible each and every tim then you need a Lab.. they do checks on the processes everyday that tells them if the developing process is edging to a colour cast and adjust it as necessary.. But well done for trying it out!! (y)

Anyway, just wanted to mention that iv developed my first roll of 35mm and 120 today in over 15 years!! lol.. im just waiting for it to dry, the trouble is iv just realised that iv not got any neg holders!! :shrug: so its off to Silverprint again tomorrow.. :LOL:

Thanks Tony - this thread is ancient history! :LOL:

Agree about the developing now that I've since been able to dev E6 on Velvia 50 and get more realistic blue skies. Velvia is known for it's high saturation, however, so your colours are always going to be very 'poppy'

Well done on the developing (B&W?). Have you got a scanner to get them up here? BTW, check out 7-day shop for fairly cheap neg holders

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=1470&man=10&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

My Printer/Scanner is going to have to do for now (Canon mp980).. if i get any really good shots then i'll look into getting them scanned properly..

Im going to siverprint for the holders as i cant wait for 7Day to deliver! lol..

Thanks for the link..

Oh, in shot 6 on here you can see that the concrete of the buildings are blue too!! thats a little more than poppy colours.. ;)

Im pleased you have sorted your technique though, its not an easy thing to do so if you think it is.. then you have a gift my son.. (y)

Back