A few from Paphos

Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Paphos yesterday, and found some time for some bird hunting!

C&C please!

1)Spot the bird (and ID please)
2876334812_c8d13b44b3_o.jpg

2)Another distant shot
2876334818_fd496ec90a_o.jpg

3)Turn around (Cyprus Wheatear me thinks)
2876334746_dc0224823c_o.jpg

4)Same species
2876334738_502b114261_o.jpg

5)Another one
2876334702_9f8fe18636_o.jpg

6)And my first bee-eater photo
2876334718_c6e51a0c7a_o.jpg

Really like 4, 5 & 6, pity about no 3 if the bird had been looking at the camera or even side on it would have been a stunner! Such is life!

What camera/lens combo bokeh is good in 2, 3 & 4!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm glad you like these, I'm pretty pleased with them myself. Yeap, it is a skylark (google).

Ed, I was using the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 with the Sigma 1.4X TC

Took a look at my book on birds of Cyprus again. It's definitely a Galerida Cristata Cypriaca, a Crested Lark, endemic in Cyprus and very common in the island!

Thanks jerry. Your comment actually made me look AGAIN into my book of birds of Cyprus (just needing an excuse really, it's a magnificent book). Well, from the looks of it, we have 5 candidates, all equally possible.

Saxicola Rubetra (Whinchat)
Saxicola Torquata (African Stonechat) Female
Oenanthe Oenanthe (Northern Wheatear)
Oenanthe Hispanica (Black-eared Wheatear) Female
Oenanthe Cypriaca (Cyprus Wheatear) Autumn Colours

These photos are fairly detailed ones, they were heavily resized here and keep the details needed for an expert to properly id these. They do seem different than the photos of the other unknown wheatear thread that I posted some while ago. I'll go through them again, to see what I can find!

Thanks jerry. Your comment actually made me look AGAIN into my book of birds of Cyprus (just needing an excuse really, it's a magnificent book). Well, from the looks of it, we have 5 candidates, all equally possible.

Saxicola Rubetra (Whinchat)
Saxicola Torquata (African Stonechat) Female
Oenanthe Oenanthe (Northern Wheatear)
Oenanthe Hispanica (Black-eared Wheatear) Female
Oenanthe Cypriaca (Cyprus Wheatear) Autumn Colours

These photos are fairly detailed ones, they were heavily resized here and keep the details needed for an expert to properly id these. They do seem different than the photos of the other unknown wheatear thread that I posted some while ago. I'll go through them again, to see what I can find!

Did you notice the bird's tail at all?

Nice set George

Like the bee eater, better than the ones I got:razz:

Agree that 1 and 2 are a Crested lark(y)

Not sure about 3, 4 and 5, Only ever seen CPW's in black and white plumage so not much help :shrug:

Looks like you had a good day(y)

Thanks Robin. It was indeed a great day, except from the fact that I too had a a car accident. Cypriots don't really know how to drive on roundabouts, so I was rammed on the side by a woman. She was very polite though, admitted that she had no idea that it was my lane that she drove on, we called the police, she was told as I told her and now her issurance company will handle the costs. The problem is that the passenger door doesn't open now and I don't really have time to fix it before leaving on Satarday night. So, I'll just drive solo for a week.:LOL:

Jerry, thanks for your input. The bird in No 3 is the same bird as in No 4! Any ideas?

:eek:Sheesh
Sorry to hear that George, they are indeed a bunch of loons when it comes to driving:shake:
Dam good job they don't drive fast as it would be total carnage!

Hope you have a peaceful last week, its wet and horrible here!(y)

Thanks Robin. I will try and relax this week, because next week will be really difficult, as I will be searching for a flat to rent, I'm getting a new car (will search for a cheap used one really), will need to find gas, electricity, internet connection, TV, phone etc etc for the new house. I'll just leave this car to Cyprus and either tell my parents to fix it for me or handle it myself next time I come back. Will defo give you a call as soon as I move to coventry, since I will be just half an hour drive away.

Thank Ian. Your comments (coming from the birdmaster himself(y)) mean a lot!
Thanks for visiting!

Thanks Robin. I will try and relax this week, because next week will be really difficult, as I will be searching for a flat to rent, I'm getting a new car (will search for a cheap used one really), will need to find gas, electricity, internet connection, TV, phone etc etc for the new house. I'll just leave this car to Cyprus and either tell my parents to fix it for me or handle it myself next time I come back. Will defo give you a call as soon as I move to coventry, since I will be just half an hour drive away.

Thank Ian. Your comments (coming from the birdmaster himself(y)) mean a lot!
Thanks for visiting!

Please do George, if you need any help just ring me mate.
Be good to see you again(y)

Back