A facility has disappeared from my 40D...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Mmmmmm....seems that overnight, the AEL exposure lock button (*) on my 40D no longer works.

Any suggestions? Have done a reset to no avail..

Cheers

I can't figure out where the function to put the flash onto second curtain sync is, either. :(

We'll make this the "I can't figure out my 40d" thread.

If you're talking about external flash then it needs to be set on the flash and not in the camera.

Bob

Mmmmmm....seems that overnight, the AEL exposure lock button (*) on my 40D no longer works.

Any suggestions? Have done a reset to no avail..

Cheers

Button fubard.

There is a custom function which transposes the functions of the * and AF-on button. So try changing that and see what happens.

You can set 2nd curtain sync for both internal and external flashes via the menu 'Flash Control'. To set 2nd curtain sync on a compatible external gun the flash must be attached to the camera.

Have a look at Custom Function III/2 for the AE Lock settings. Sounds like you may have disabled it.

You can set 2nd curtain sync for both internal and external flashes via the menu 'Flash Control'. To set 2nd curtain sync on a compatible external gun the flash must be attached to the camera.

If my memory serves me correctly then this will only work with the 580srs and the option will be greyed out on the 430EX that FP has. I believe it was Canon's attempt to bugger up the third party flashes that were hitting their market share but also included the 430 as it had been cloned very effectively. The 20D and 30D allowed it but the function was removed in the 40D.....unless disgruntled owners have since forced a change via a Firmware unpdate.

Bob

It doesn't have anything, anywhere. I can't find it at all!
Which is horribly annoying :(

2nd yellow spanner icon along in the main menu and 'Flash Control' at the bottom of that screen?

If my memory serves me correctly then this will only work with the 580srs and the option will be greyed out on the 430EX that FP has. I believe it was Canon's attempt to bugger up the third party flashes that were hitting their market share but also included the 430 as it had been cloned very effectively. The 20D and 30D allowed it but the function was removed in the 40D.....unless disgruntled owners have since forced a change via a Firmware unpdate.

Bob

Ah right.. in that case it will have to be set on the flash gun.

Just found this reply from Canon's US CEO to a similar 2nd curtain setup question (a 550EX in this case) with a 40D

Currently, the flash control menu on the camera is fully compatible only with the built-in flash and Speedlite 580EX II. All it can do with the 550EX is to set flash exposure compensation and E-TTL II flash metering patterns. That's why the other settings are grayed out and you're getting an error message when you attempt to set the 550EX's custom functions from the camera body.

And this on DPreview

> It came as a surprise to both me and the Canon Canada service
> technician that the 40D Flash Control function does not give the user
> access to the second curtain sync option on the camera's menu.

Yep, but it's only really a problem on flashes without a 2nd curtain sync button, such as the 220EX, 380EX and 420EX. On the 430EX, 550EX and 580EX, it's easier to use the dedicated button on the flash.
> Apparently this results from a significant software change from the
> 20D and 30D and no Firmware upgrade is being planned to address this
> issue.

Canon is apparently trying to clean up the mess they have made with flash control., where some functions were set on the body, some on the flash, and some in both places. And what you set where depended on what flash and body you were using.
So they introduced new flash (580EX II) and new firmware on the camera body that can control anything on that flash. Presumably there will soon be a 430EX II as well.
> Full flash compatibility can only be attained by using the 580EX II.
> There is no mention of this in the 40D's manual.

Nothing explicit, just a hint. See page 104.

> Given that the 580 EX is just one generation earlier, one would have
> thought that it would have been fully-compatible with the 40D.

The 580EX was replaced with the 580EX II when the 1D3 was introduced, explicitly because it supported full on-camera flash control.

Bob

LOL Bob - what a mess!

I must say it doesn't worry me unduly as I'd prefer to set it on the flash gun anyway, but what is a real gooly by Canon is that 2nd curtain sync seems to be greyed out on the 40D for the internal flash too.

Sorted :D

It was the custom function which changed.

I was going through the menus which I do every 3 months or so and must have changed something :shrug:

Bit confused though as I think you have to press the set button to accept the change :cautious: Mmmmmmm I don't remember doing that.

Anyway, thanks for collectively helping and getting it solved :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Did a similar thing last week and semed to change AE to AF. Drove me mad till I noticed the CF bit on my display.

Back