Lomo Toronto

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
All taken with my Lomo LC-A film camera. The only edits done are the conversions to black and white in Photoshop. Other than that I don't edit my Lomo shots. The whole point is to simply capture life. The normal rules go out the window and all you're left with is simple fun.

CNV00032.jpg

CNV00030.jpg

CNV00024.jpg

CNV00023.jpg

CNV00017.jpg

i really like #5 and #10, the whole set is very good, i very much doubt i would have got that many keepers in digital

I've no idea what a Lomo camera is Pete but I do know one thing, I wish I had your eye and ability for a good shot, I've admired your work since I came on here and this time you have excelled yourself. We all have areas we concentrate on, be it wildlife, macro, sports or whatever and your style of shooting is something I wouldn't even attempt to emulate and I find them difficult to describe, if I had to choose one word it would be 'real'.

A superb series, well done. :clap:

Some excellent shots you have there :clap: I particularly like the mono ones. I don't know why, but they seem to have much more impact on me than the colour ones.
Looking forward to seeing more of these :)

Hacker said:
I've no idea what a Lomo camera is Pete but I do know one thing, I wish I had your eye and ability for a good shot, I've admired your work since I came on here and this time you have excelled yourself. We all have areas we concentrate on, be it wildlife, macro, sports or whatever and your style of shooting is something I wouldn't even attempt to emulate and I find them difficult to describe, if I had to choose one word it would be 'real'.

A superb series, well done. :clap:

:hug: Thats really very kind of you to say.

B00004S9WR.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056668940_.jpg

Thats a lomo. Its a little Russian camera. Theres a cult philosophy behind it now whereby you shoot from the hip and basically throw out all the rules of normal photography. Some believe its nothing more than a way of selling a rubbish camera but I just love the style.

petemc said:
Theres a cult philosophy behind it now whereby you shoot from the hip and basically throw out all the rules of normal photography.

CNV00017.jpg
You must have really short legs :eek: :exit:

good set, looks like you enjoyed Toronto (y)

These are great! Especially like the restaurant table shot and the ground level inside the train one. :) What film or films did you use may I ask?

A great set Pete ... as usual ... (y)

It is difficult to find fault with your stuff ... I mean you are just showing things the way they are ... or meant to be ... and it works when you do it ... :clap:

They are all great but in different ways ... 1, 3, 5 and the last are particularly good for me ... :p

Oh ... and don't you just lurve the simplicity of that camera ... :D

I don't really get this. The Lomo thing I mean, I think the shots are absolutley brilliant but I don't see the significance of the camera. I had a quick look at some stuff on the web and unless I'm missing the whole point it's just a little plastic camera. Which is just great of course because it's all about what you do with it that matters but a dissposable camera can be great fun too and doesn't cost £135 odd.

Anyway, the main point is.... love the shots! (y)

Lomography emphasizes casual, snapshot photography. Accidents such as over-saturated colors, lens artifacts, and exposure defects are rehabilitated to produce swirly, abstract effects — a trait emphasized by practitioners. Others use the technique to document everyday life, because the small camera size and ability to shoot in low light encourages candid photography, photo reportage and photo vérité.

The lens creates unique effects that would normally be cancelled out by most people yet when in the hands of a lomographer they take stunning shots.

fine examples of the art there pete. A++

It's either a kneejerk reaction to the digital love of all things perfectly exposed and sharp at 30"X20" or simply the fact that all and every camera has a slightly different personality that gets inflicted on the final result. Or it could be the best marketing scam this side of extended warranties.

Either way, it always sparks debate and that can only be a good thing, right?

I like it anyway and bugger what anybody else thinks!

I know nothing of Lomo but I find all of these shots really easy on the eye.
I particularly like the 1, 3 & 5 in the b&w shots, they seem to remind me of stills from American 50's movies.
The reflection in the puddle is ace, as is the people in the fountain shot ... damn I just like em all! (y)

Just as a matter of interest whats the ratio of keep/bin with the Lomo ? , would you say that you get a higher ratio of photos that you are happy with than when you shoot Digital ?

Strictly speaking the way you're meant to shoot Lomo is from the hip without thinking. I'd say my hit ratio was about the same really. Maybe a bit higher. Its a tough camera to use since you have to set the distance and aperture manually, so some shots don't come out at all. Its all good though as it does teach you how to easily tell acurate distances and what aperture is need for a good depth of field.

petemc said:
Strictly speaking the way you're meant to shoot Lomo is from the hip without thinking. I'd say my hit ratio was about the same really. Maybe a bit higher. Its a tough camera to use since you have to set the distance and aperture manually, so some shots don't come out at all. Its all good though as it does teach you how to easily tell acurate distances and what aperture is need for a good depth of field.

Yup , I knew that's what the Lomo Philosophy was about , was just wondering how many of the shots came out as you hoped/expected

I am surprised that nobody has come out with a Lomo 'style' lens for the DSLR generation, it would be rather interesting :clap:

I'm considering getting a holga, (similar to the lomo but 120 film) but also considering a lensbaby, which is as close to digital version as you can get. what are others opinions.

A great set, almost a 'dated' look to them, but like everyone else, I am struggling with the concept of need this particular camera to capture these shots. I get the philosophy as explained - shoot from the hip; dont think, just do - but set your dslr up right, one lens, no baggage and you can use the same approach surely? Isnt mind over matter? :shrug:

A great set, almost a 'dated' look to them, but like everyone else, I am struggling with the concept of need this particular camera to capture these shots. I get the philosophy as explained - shoot from the hip; dont think, just do - but set your dslr up right, one lens, no baggage and you can use the same approach surely? Isnt mind over matter? :shrug:

There's nothing stopping you doing the same with a DSLR, but you don't get the same feel from the shots for one. Another thing is with a DSLR you have so much control, its hard to let go. You get a bad shot and you instantly correct for it. There's something to be said for having no control, for just shooting. I really do take a completely different photo with it.

I'm considering getting a holga, (similar to the lomo but 120 film) but also considering a lensbaby, which is as close to digital version as you can get. what are others opinions.

The lomo (LC-A's) are much easier to use (and get developed) than Holgas. I find Holga's much harder to get a decent shot from but I much prefer the result.

"Diana" camera are another type of 'lo-fi' camera. Lubitel 166 is a 120 TLR with a similar lens fall-off effect. Lomo also do various types of cameras, action sampler (takes 4 shots in a row), fisheye, etc.

Should be able to pick up any of the above pretty cheap off ebay. Dont pay any more than £50 for an LC-A :)

All taken with my Lomo LC-A film camera. The only edits done are the conversions to black and white in Photoshop. Other than that I don't edit my Lomo shots. The whole point is to simply capture life. The normal rules go out the window and all you're left with is simple fun.

CNV00032.jpg

I know where that one is, it it York St?

I have no idea what that street was. Its nearly 2 years since I was there. Also, not to be mean but you could start your own thread if you're after critique on your images. This was just for Lomography :)

Are all Lomos film?

I'll just try the effect In Photoshop otherwise since film would be awkward since I got no scanner to scan film pics on.

Cool, might get one.:D

This thread gave me an Idea to try the lomo effect on a shot of mine.

I have to defend Lomo here, you seriously get a totally different type of shot with a Lomo, much more fun imo than a DSLR.

I shoot ALOT with a Holga and a Diana and the shots are awesome, you get a "feel" that digital simply doesn't capture.

Each to their own I suppose, but I think everyone who likes photography should own a Holga!

Great set of shots in this thread by the way, love em (y)

Thanks :) Its simply about taking photos you normally wouldn't because you have too much control. Let go Luke, use the force :)

I shoot ALOT with a Holga and a Diana and the shots are awesome, you get a "feel" that digital simply doesn't capture.

Too true, but I generally think that's the case when using film...it has a definate uniqueness to it over digital....hence why i've just bought a spotmatic :)

anyway, back on topic....great images pete, the mono conversions work particularly well! The lomo community will be proud (y)

Hi Pete great to see you enjoying photography. images are slightly starchy still taking shots emmm like a photographer........... go on shot from the hip, go on instinct, you know you'll enjoy it. :LOL:

your street scenes were very good maybe combined with lomo style you'll not just be a very good photographer but get to the dizzy hieghts of excellent. Your starting to 'feel the force' :D

ps Kodak polaroids are also great fun. old film gives really wierd results and instantly :)

now all i have to do is learn how to use camera lol

excellent stuff - really enjoyed looking at that set pete. Love the train/underground one.

Hi Pete great to see you enjoying photography. images are slightly starchy still taking shots emmm like a photographer........... go on shot from the hip, go on instinct, you know you'll enjoy it. :LOL:

Thanks but I was enjoying these in June 2006 :p I don't get what else you mean.

your street scenes were very good maybe combined with lomo style you'll not just be a very good photographer but get to the dizzy hieghts of excellent. Your starting to 'feel the force' :D

Um...

:thinking: :p

How does XP2 compare to Kodak BW400? Not tried the Ilford yet but got the Kodak cheap so giving it a go :)

Not tried Kodaks but I love Ilfords.

Back