WARNING MAY DISTURB: The other side of Donna Nook

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday was the day for my annual pilgrimage to Donna Nook. So, up at 4, on the road at 5 and not home until about 6 last night. But it was worth it. Lots of pups, lots of mating and lots of behaviour stuff.

However, I was looking for something different to the last couple of trips and this poor fella caught my eye. Of course, there are always pups who don't make it and there were bones and skin scattered in various places on the beach.

What got me with this one was the peaceful pose. It struck me as not too different to a picture you often see of pups at DN with the drifting sand and the lack of eyes the only initial clues to the harsh reality.

I know it is not a "pretty" picture but I always feel that nature photography should reflect both the nice and the not so nice aspects of life and that is what I have tried to do.

As always, C&C appreciated.

ME9Q6636-4.jpg

EOS 1D Mk II with 70-200 f/2.8L IS - 70mm, f/4.5, ISO500

Thanks for looking,

Paul

I know it is not a "pretty" picture but I always feel that nature photography should reflect both the nice and the not so nice aspects of life and that is what I have tried to do.

As always, C&C appreciated.

Paul

So do I Paul so do I
nicely captured (y)

All part of the circle of life, good shot imo :)

There is something strangely fascinating about this shot. The seal pup seems to retain a certain amount of dignity and peace, and the soft tones and low angle I think accentuate that.

A very respectful shot.

It is essential to be brought back down to earth on occasion with harsh reality, and you have succeeded in doing this in a very dignified manner ... well done to you and a great pic to boot :)

I agree completely about bringing all aspects of nature photography to the fore for all to see.....still its a sad scene but very well caught.

That is nature.

Why am I not surprised to see dead animals around you??

Great shot(y), pity it wasn't a grey squirrel th0;)

Its the hollow eyes and the sand blown over the body that gives this pic a really powerful edge. Well done.

:crying:

:clap:

:crying:

nuff said

md:crying:

Well shot, the best i have seen from the location. I really don't understand the thrill of going to shoot seals in that sort of location (kinda like shooting fish in a barrel). Every shot that seems to come from there just looks the same.

Anyway really like this.

Stunning shot. Agree with Matt - Really makes you stop for a few moments.

And THAT is the real power of a photograph and why so many people love this medium!

Thanks all. Sounds like it has the desired effect. Must remember to wash my waterproof trousers now as I'm not sure how hygenic it is lying down next to a dead seal!

There was another dead pup - a new born - with mum still with it. Very moving to watch her trying to "wake it up". I'm normally quite hard nosed about these things but that did get to me...

Paul

There was another dead pup - a new born - with mum still with it. Very moving to watch her trying to "wake it up". I'm normally quite hard nosed about these things but that did get to me...

Paul

thanks for not sharing that one mate...

this one was moving enough......:crying:

and i dont normally get bothered by these things as thats life :shrug:

md(y)

The stark reality of how nature can be so cruel, a well composed shot thanks to your effort in getting low down with the subject "in focus" with good depth of field.

Very nicely captured there and very moving(y)

Very good image Paul, sad, but it happens.

Was going to go myself last week but the weather was not so good so did'nt go.

I believe you can't go on the beach on weekdays, is that right?

Thanks again everyone.

Mick - yes, the beach area is used Monday to Friday for bombing practice by the RAF and closed to the public. Sometimes they will not be practising on a particular day and you may get lucky. However, to guarantee access you need to go at a weekend. You can still shoot the ones near the fence, good pup pics in grass but not get out to the surf line which is well worth it.

There were over 1300 adults and 1200 pups counted yesterday so well worth a visit.

If you go at a weekend, it does get very busy. We were there before sunrise and there were already about 15 cars in the car park!

Paul

I'm currently studying the seals at Donna Nook, I've been at the colony for the last 3 weeks and will be there for 2 more. I am familiar with this particular dead pup on the outer colony, its been there about a week and its a popular subject for the photographers. It is a nice shot.

Unfortunatly I cannot agree that this shot reflects the harshness of nature taking its toll, as this is one of many pups on the outer colony that have died due to interference form photographers. The pup mortality on this area is much higher than any other area in the donna nook colony, and the national trust warden (whom I work with) and I am both saddened and frustrated by this growing problem.

I am sure that photographers visiting the outer colony at the weekends do not mean to harm the seals there but many go far too close, scaring the mothers off pups so they can take close ups of them.
Just this weekend I watched three photographers with a very young pup, no more than 3 days old, taking close ups having driven off the mother, who was hovering about 10 meters away. The temperature was below freezing that day and a pup that young has no protective blubber layer to insulate it. They also must feed very regularly to survive their first few days and the photographers where preventing it from doing that. Mothers will also abandon young pups if they smell of people or if they haven't had time to bond with them. I am almost certain that when I go back to the site again on saturday it will be dead, like many others I have seen endure this treatment.

It is soul destroying to have to study these animals and watch them be treated this way. I am now very reluctant to ask photographers to give pups space because most ignore me (because I am fairly young) or are rude, no matter how politely I approach them. The wildlife trust also does not have the staff to warden the outer colony site at the weekends, they get about 5000 people per day on the national trust site that is fenced. They have to rely on photogrpaher's 'doing the right thing' or policing each other, stopping intrusive individuals when they are seen.

If you are going to donna nook to photograph the seals please do not try to get clsoe ups of pups without a zoom lens, I know that people will probably not like this post or be offended that I am saying this but it is such a terrible shame that, at donna nook at least, photographers are killing the very animals they are taking pictures of. If you do see anyone doing this please say something as the person may not be aware that they are condeming the pup to death.

P.S. the weather this weekend (6th dec) is meant to be good. It is very cold though, minus 5 the when I was surveying yesterday and so camera batteries die or stop working very quickly, so bring plenty of spares and have them in a pocket next to your skin to keep them warm.

Very interesting response. Thanks for your input. I was not aware that this pup was a "victim" of photographers' behaviour as it was long dead when I arrived. However, having seen some terrible behaviour from photographers in previous years I am not surprised - saddened but not surprised.

This trip (last Sunday) I didn't see anything that I would count as bad behaviour but there were reasonably low numbers of photographers as the weather wasn't too good and the forecast worse. Previous trips though I have been disturbed by what I saw and regretted not challenging the people to back off. I think the advice to do that is essential.

I have heard reports of behaviour this year that deeply troubles me - such as winding up mum for that "perfect" photo, to the point I thought long and hard about going back. However, I am an experienced (albeit amateur) photographer and decided it was better to go back and be willing to challenge people if necessary.

It is very difficult. The place has got very busy over the last few years and I think many photographers put the picture before the animal's welfare. That gives those of us who do care a bad reputation, as well as being bad for the animals. I do worry that this "macho" mentality that is taking over wildlife photography in some segments will lead to areas being closed or restricted. I was having dinner with the warden from RSPB Snettisham a couple of weeks back, and they are in the process of dismantling the special photographer's hide due to people's behaviour having a negative impact on the birds.

It's a very sorry state of affairs and I hope the people that cause these problems either learn to put the animals first or find new subjects for their cameras.

Paul

PS: Apart from the pictures of the dead pup, all other pictures I took that day were taken with a 420mm lens to ensure I kept my distance.

It does'nt seem right to say nice image, but well documented mate.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and some new borns had been born very close to the water edge at low tide and it was so apparent once the tide started coming in these little ones would not make it. It's almost as if the mothers know that as they keep a good distance form the pup and show no motherly protection towards them.

Shadow and Flame, that was an excellent post highlighting the dangers of mass invasion and the shameful disrespect a minority of photographers show. Donna Nook isn't the only place it's happening though, the puffin colony in Pembrokshire has been a 'target' of late, with one reported incident of a photographer standing between a puffin and it's burrow just so he could get the right background.

It is really sickening, and I think as a collective, we should be questioning those who do this.

Back