I know it's only a Robin, but...

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
...it's my first proper shot with my new lens!

DSC_5916-01.jpg

Taken with D200 and 400 2.8 VR with Sigma 1.4x (the Sigma is not fully recognised by the camera so the EXIF shows 400mm and F2.8).

Real data: 560mm, f4, iso 400. No crop!

The lens seemed to be hunting a lot - it might be caused by the Sigma not being 100% compatible. I didnt have the lens caps for it with me so I didnt try taking it off.

Nice shot of a little Robin, looks like the new lens is working OK

Nice shot of a little Robin, looks like the new lens is working OK

:agree:

Good detail on the Robin

Very nice colours caught there

Looking good Joe....(y)

Enjoy the new lens......:D

Do you guys ever have to work?...................:D

Mate these are real nice shots, im very impressed especially as you were saying to me you had trouble getting the whole of the robin into the first shot lol :)

Very interested to see what it is like with cars and bikes :)

I like them. What aperture did you use for the second one? The backround seems a bit distracting IMHO, mainly due to the proximity with the subject but still...:shrug:
The first one is ace though!!

I like them. What aperture did you use for the second one? The backround seems a bit distracting IMHO, mainly due to the proximity with the subject but still...:shrug:
The first one is ace though!!

Both were at F4 (2.8 with 1.4x converter - i.e. wide open). The camera thought it was f2.8 :LOL:

The other branches were very close by, hence the bokeh. Not ideal I know. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

Looks like you have a very splendid new toy. Not jealous at all.

Cracking shots Joe, but next time take your scissors to cut the branches away from the stuffed robin ;)

So do we take it your happy with that new lens

:LOL:

As long as I cant sort the AF hunting issue with the 1.4TC I'll be very happy!

I also need:

- new tripod foot
- new bag
- new tripod
- several teleconverters
- D300

and the list goes on...

I've been on the market for a super-tele for the last 4-5 months now, still haven't managed to get the money, what with moving house and all. Still with my siggy 120-300 so I must say I am VERY jealous(y).

The reason I was asking about the tripod on your post on the lens is that I too have the 055. I don't suppose it's good enough for a lens of that calibre?

Second question. having played with fracster's sigmonster and having the prime now, can you give us a comparison? Compared to the 120-300 (not reach, duh, but ease of use). compared to the prime, lack of zoom, did you find that VR helps? (does Nikon have a tripod-mounted VR capability btw?)

The tripod seemed mostly ok today. I will not use the centre column though obviously! However, without it the camera is too low for me - I'm 6'2" ish. It will do in the short term I think, but in the long term I will get something better.

I think it's still a bit early to give a full review. I will say that the sharpness is awesome - see my posts above! :LOL:

The lack of zoom takes some getting used to - getting the robin to fit in the frame was hard, and I couldnt use the centre AF point to focus on the eye!

Im not sure about VR but it probably helped! It's my first VR lens, so I'm still getting used to it! Its weird watching the viewfinder moving up and down! :LOL: And yes it does have a tripod setting.

HTH

Gawd it IS sharp! Think you should get that TC issue sorted out though! It's sad having this beauty and then use a TC that messes up your AF doesn't it?

Thanks for the info mate! I'm 6'1" and the 055 is indeed a bit short without the centre column extended. Good thing you bought this before me. Now you'll get to look for tripods, bags etc etc. I'll just buy what you will at the end :p

Gawd it IS sharp! Think you should get that TC issue sorted out though! It's sad having this beauty and then use a TC that messes up your AF doesn't it?

Thanks for the info mate! I'm 6'1" and the 055 is indeed a bit short without the centre column extended. Good thing you bought this before me. Now you'll get to look for tripods, bags etc etc. I'll just buy what you will at the end :p

:LOL: It may well be one of these: http://www.feisoluk.com/Tripods-Tournament-Tripods/c24_35/index.html - probably the CT3472. :)

Reckon you lot are just being nice... :shrug:

They look a tad soft around the eye to me and the crop proves it imhgo... :naughty:

Sharpen up Joe and get yourself a decent tripod... :LOL:

:p

Damn Joe...you lucky so and so to get this lens!...Lovely first shots too..

Very nice first shot superb colours and nice background , shame about the bits in front
Pete

Lovely robin, fab lens! I want one!!!!!!!!!

(2nd pic.... Where is the rest of his tail? :shrug:) :p

Back