New lens - some street faces

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got my 85mm f1.4 and have owned it a grand total of, I dunno, 3 hours! Anyway, opened the box, and ran to the nearest street! :)

Slight subject movement, which sucks. However, we were on opposing escalators. Should have had a higher ISO in preparation. You live and learn. Compisition wise, I rushed as I panick doing street stuff.

3098305456_5da3265b1f_o.jpg

This guy was "pretty" happy :)
3097475911_86c8b976c4_o.jpg

And this one, really just a technical demo - love the backgrounds I can get with this thing...
3098341136_eaf805ef83_o.jpg

Cheers :D

Gary.

I love the colours in the background of number one. Looks like a great bit of kit and sharp as a tack (should be for the price!! :LOL:)

Bob

Wasn't there a 85mm f1.2 you could get? ;) Nice set even the man who moved, the DoF is great on that one. I'm looking forward to seeing what you post tomorrow. Use it well, I know you will.

Wasn't there a 85mm f1.2 you could get? ;) Nice set even the man who moved, the DoF is great on that one. I'm looking forward to seeing what you post tomorrow. Use it well, I know you will.

Russ you b*****d! :D I had the 1.2 ordered (still do, its in calumet waiting for me), but the boys in the IRC chatroom beat me down with a stick and told me how insane it would be to spend an additional 3K.

I like that chatroom! :D

Gary.

I've always wondered with your photos if it's the D3 or the processing that gives such a nice depth, tones and sharpness? I mean that first one is brilliant!

I've always wondered with your photos if it's the D3 or the processing that gives such a nice depth, tones and sharpness? I mean that first one is brilliant!

No PP other than a sharpen and slight white balance correction (I was in a railway station).

The D3 is awesome, but I am learning all the time - and fast glass, is critical.

Gary.

I can't believe you wasted money on a 1.4 either when you could have bought a 1.2 :LOL:

And as for it gives great backgrounds... well soz m8 - but all I can see is a bunch of nicely OoF cars, buildings and vans

If it'd give you nicely OoF hills, lakes or seaside, then it'd be worth having :nuts:

Seriously though, buying all this gear's one thing - having the time to use it all is what I'm jealous of :(

But keep using it anyway, it's not for nothing you're currently 1st placed as... 'Most improved tog on TP'

(y)

DD

Wow, some nice shots there EG!

I actually like the third the most to be honest. Tack sharp and a great expression, and that bokeh..... mmmmmmmmm :love:

(y)

I wonder if the new AF-S 50mm f/1.4 will produce similar results on a crop sensor? If so I might need to tip the penny jar out and get one ordered :)

I wonder the same. I don't know whether it is a full frame thing, but the richness of colour is always superb.

Gary, do you not have a lens that produces similar results already though? What did you use for your edifest pics?

I wonder the same. I don't know whether it is a full frame thing, but the richness of colour is always superb.

Gary, do you not have a lens that produces similar results already though? What did you use for your edifest pics?

I do have a lens that is more or less capable already. the 50mm f1.4, and one could argue, and will I guess, that buying for an extra 35mm is insane. Perhaps, but the reach gives me a little more breathing room for the street stuff, where I really lack confidence, and also, due to the focal length increase, I think it results in nicer bokeh overall.

I am loving low light lenses now, and this was really the last lens I wanted (well the f1.2 was but Canon only)...I can't see any more getting bought for a wee while.

Cheers,

Gary.

Nice acquisition there G.
Pix look good - seems to do what it says on the tin.
Like the happy guy shot.

All I can say, and I do mean this, the day I got my D3, my photography changed. I started to see things differently, I started to enjoy the hobby more, and things started to click. Dunno why, it just did. I loved my D200, but it all got a lot better the day I upgraded.

Gary.

I can't believe you wasted money on a 1.4 either when you could have bought a 1.2 :LOL:

And as for it gives great backgrounds... well soz m8 - but all I can see is a bunch of nicely OoF cars, buildings and vans

If it'd give you nicely OoF hills, lakes or seaside, then it'd be worth having :nuts:

Seriously though, buying all this gear's one thing - having the time to use it all is what I'm jealous of

But keep using it anyway, it's not for nothing you're currently 1st placed as... 'Most improved tog on TP'

(y)

DD

Watch this space :D Will be up the mountains soon! ;) I am humbled at all the nominations, and again I sometimes forget how lucky I am work wise.

Wow, some nice shots there EG!

I actually like the third the most to be honest. Tack sharp and a great expression, and that bokeh..... mmmmmmmmm :love:

(y)

I wonder if the new AF-S 50mm f/1.4 will produce similar results on a crop sensor? If so I might need to tip the penny jar out and get one ordered :)

The existing 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 will give similar results if the conditions are right I bet. The new 50mm sounds very good.

Nice acquisition there G.
Pix look good - seems to do what it says on the tin.
Like the happy guy shot.

Gary.

Its the D3. Having spent part of the day playing with my D700 I can totally see that its the D3 sensor. Not saying its not also Gary taking the photos but from a quick play I can really appreciate just how much the sensor does. Lovely depth of field, sharpness from the glass and the tones from the D3's processing thing. Its brilliant. Of course it has to be put in the right hands and as no1 shows it is :)

Its the D3. Having spent part of the day playing with my D700 I can totally see that its the D3 sensor. Not saying its not also Gary taking the photos but from a quick play I can really appreciate just how much the sensor does. Lovely depth of field, sharpness from the glass and the tones from the D3's processing thing. Its brilliant. Of course it has to be put in the right hands and as no1 shows it is :)

Cheers Pete,

I am so looking forward to your first shoot :)

Gary.

Reallly?

This isn't just a ploy to get everyone to follow you over to Nikon?

This warrants more of a discussion if gary doesn't mind... but i'm off home now. Hmm.

Reallly?

This warrants more of a discussion if gary doesn't mind... but i'm off home now. Hmm.

I do not mind one bit. Its a heck of a camera / sensor, just lovely.

Gary.

Reallly?

Haha no its not just a ploy. I can really see it in my images. Its partly the full frame effect, produces nicer depth of field. I would assume you get a similar look on a 5d or Canon FF camera with some sharp lenses.

Haha no its not just a ploy. I can really see it in my images. Its partly the full frame effect, produces nicer depth of field. I would assume you get a similar look on a 5d or Canon FF camera with some sharp lenses.

Absolutely, Katy posted some amazing stuff on Flickr a while back, 5D stuff. Some of the 85mm f1.2 images on the 5D are out of this world.

I think the 5DMKII is gonna be a great camera.

Gary.

Like them all, just as much for the facial expressions as well as the bucket.

Number 3 is very good, almost 3D or is that D3 :thinking:

The light ohn the left sleave just adds to the sharpness of the image. Its like you brought your own hair light.

Keep posting.

Ps Why don't you phone up Nikon and ask them to send you some free goodies as you are advertising in the best way, their wares for free!!!!

Last edited:
All I can say, and I do mean this, the day I got my D3, my photography changed. I started to see things differently, I started to enjoy the hobby more, and things started to click. Dunno why, it just did. I loved my D200, but it all got a lot better the day I upgraded.

Gary.

Well get it back to me I`ll give it all the love it needs :p

And new lens looks a treat in those pics :)

Like them all, just as much for the facial expressions as well as the bucket.

Number 3 is very good, almost 3D or is that D3 :thinking:

The light ohn the left sleave just adds to the shapness of the image. Its like you brought your own hair light.

Keep posting.

Ps Why don't you phone up Nikon and ask them to send you some free goodies as you are advertising in the best way, their wares for free!!!!

Ta guys :D

Gary.

Ahh, the 85mm 1.4 - good choice Gary! (I wasn't even close with my guess!:LOL:)

Great set, especially from such a short time "playing" with it. Love No.1, that bokeh is just sublime!

Enjoy it, as I know you will! (y)

I am loving low light lenses now, and this was really the last lens I wanted (well the f1.2 was but Canon only)...I can't see any more getting bought for a wee while.

Cheers,

Gary.

Lol, guess what I've got coming on hire for a winter wedding...........oh yes 85mm of f1.2 loveliness. :love:

I've hired it from Stewart (thanks again) for a week over new year and I'm really looking forward to having some fun with it too. (I'll look after it though Stewart!)

Russ you b*****d! :D I had the 1.2 ordered (still do, its in calumet waiting for me), but the boys in the IRC chatroom beat me down with a stick and told me how insane it would be to spend an additional 3K.

I like that chatroom! :D

Gary.

Did you not tell the chatroom that you were from Scotland and spending money was second nature to you? ;) What's 3k compared to the innate satisfaction of having a stonking lens? Mind you if you're getting these results day 1 with the f1.4 then it might need a very clever spreadsheet to justify the 3k. Wear it well.

Nice set of images Gary. Like the dof and depth of colour in no 1. The composition's good too. Exposure is spot on. Lovely sharp shots. I understand your lack of confidence but your street togging is fantastic. Keep it up :clap:

I. Must not get. A D700 with fast glass. Someone tell me it's a bad idea! Great shots, that BG is absolutely wonderful. Out of interest, how would you compare it to what you can achieve with the 24-70 (you've got one of these, right?)?

I. Must not get. A D700 with fast glass. Someone tell me it's a bad idea! Great shots, that BG is absolutely wonderful. Out of interest, how would you compare it to what you can achieve with the 24-70 (you've got one of these, right?)?

The 85 so far appears to be in a different league altogether with regards to Bokeh, and I have hardly even used it. I feel its a different type of lens to the 24 to 70....

I will try and answer this better after a few weeks of owning!!

Gary.

Nice set of images Gary. Like the dof and depth of colour in no 1. The composition's good too. Exposure is spot on. Lovely sharp shots. I understand your lack of confidence but your street togging is fantastic. Keep it up :clap:

Aww thankyou :D

Ahh, the 85mm 1.4 - good choice Gary! (I wasn't even close with my guess!:LOL:)

Great set, especially from such a short time "playing" with it. Love No.1, that bokeh is just sublime!

Enjoy it, as I know you will! (y)

Cheers :D

Looks alright mate, I like the backgrounds.

Ta!!

first pic.he seen ya (y),
good stuff

He did, he seems ****ed :)

Lol, guess what I've got coming on hire for a winter wedding...........oh yes 85mm of f1.2 loveliness. :love:

I've hired it from Stewart (thanks again) for a week over new year and I'm really looking forward to having some fun with it too. (I'll look after it though Stewart!)

Use it, A LOT!!! Looking forward to seeing your shots, the 85 f1.2 by all accounts is one of the best lenses money can buy. If it were Nikon I would have it, I just don't need the complication of another body, or a £3k shortfall :)

Did you not tell the chatroom that you were from Scotland and spending money was second nature to you? ;) What's 3k compared to the innate satisfaction of having a stonking lens? Mind you if you're getting these results day 1 with the f1.4 then it might need a very clever spreadsheet to justify the 3k. Wear it well.

:LOL: Cheers Russ, will enjoy it.

The Canon 85 1.2 ona 5D is just incredible! Have a look at Blinkers shots!

It seems to be working well on the Nikon Gary, very nice shots, the only thing is the lights that are oof look an odd shape! only the ones that are facing directly at you seem round! look at the traffic lights, one looks like a skittle! lol.. It gives a cartoony feel to the pics..

Very nice mate.. the 1.2 is even better.. ;)

Back