Any other lenses to consider, other than a Canon 17-40 L ??

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
As per the title, just wondering if there are any alternative lenses to consider if thinking about a Canon 17-40 L. The f/4 aperture won't be a drawback as the lens would be for landscapes, though I have read about it being a bit soft towards the edges. Is this 'soft compared to other L lenses and nothing for the likes of me to worry about', or 'soft like butter and I need to worry'?

Seems a bargain Lens!

There's a 17-55 2.8 IS but I dont know much about it. I think it isnt an L but that's not always such a worry.

TBH, IS isn't necessary, and I don't think there's any real need for the larger aperture, so without knowing the price would rather pay for the best optic possible than 'features' I wouldn't need/use.

The 17-40L is a cracking lens at a great price. Great colour saturation and weather sealed too. The thing people overlook with the 17-40L is it focuses down to just a few inches - ideal for extreme close up stuff, so it makes a pretty good lens to keep on the camera.

For that focal length on a 400D, I'd be going for a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It's a wonderfully sharp lens.

For that focal length on a 400D, I'd be going for a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It's a wonderfully sharp lens.

I've no experience of this lens, but I did own the 17-85 EF-S and had the opportunity to test it side by side with the 17-40L. Barrel distortion was noticeably worse than the 17-40L. Whilst it was a nice crisp lens, the colour saturation was far better from the 17-40 too.

Am interested as to why you feel the larger aperture and IS would be of benefit?

Just to add to other side of the argument I am not overly impressed with my 17-40, it isnt the amazing lens I thought it was going to be to be honest. I don't notice a vast difference between it and my 10-20 (not enough to make me think "oh I need to change lenses if I am shooting over 17mm") Compared to my 70-200 it is soft, but compared to my old kit lens it is sharp. It is a nice lens, and a great range for landscapes, but I wish I had gone for a 24-70 instead :(

I like mine, bought off here a few weeks back. Good colours and nice and sharp, been great for new baby photos without bothering the little fella too much and serves as a good compliment to the 24-105.

Just to add to other side of the argument I am not overly impressed with my 17-40, it isnt the amazing lens I thought it was going to be to be honest. I don't notice a vast difference between it and my 10-20 (not enough to make me think "oh I need to change lenses if I am shooting over 17mm") Compared to my 70-200 it is soft, but compared to my old kit lens it is sharp. It is a nice lens, and a great range for landscapes, but I wish I had gone for a 24-70 instead :(

You have to remember that it's one of the cheapest L series lenses Canon make. So yeah, it won't be as good as say a 24-70 or 24-105 which are considerably more expensive.

I have the 17-40. Good lens, great value.

I do want a 24-70 though, I too kinda wish I had gone for that instead...

However, it's good to have an ultra-wide, and I will probably get a 24-70 aswel.

I've no experience of this lens, but I did own the 17-85 EF-S and had the opportunity to test it side by side with the 17-40L. Barrel distortion was noticeably worse than the 17-40L. Whilst it was a nice crisp lens, the colour saturation was far better from the 17-40 too.

In my opinion, the EF-S 17-85 just doesn't come anywhere near the EF-S 17-55 and I've used both.

I didn't notice any issues with distortion and that larger maximum aperture combined with the IS made it a fantastic walkaround lens.

Hmmm, that's interesting. So when i move the mouse over the image it is showing the 17-40L shot? I can see the original image is sharper/clearer, but other than that, don't really know what I am looking at, or what I should be looking out for.

I've never looked this closely into a lens purchase before, but the time has come to think more long term. I am really surprised though after everything people say, that a non L is being recommended. I had read sharpness towards the edges suffered with the 17-40, but I would have thought this would be worse with a non L?

Looking ahead... I am looking to get the 17-40 to replace my sigma 10-20 and go full frame. I'd then keep the sigma 24-70 for the time being, but probably replace that with the canon L equivalent at a later date.

So is the 17-40L not the best option?

Goddammit, I find all this lens buying stuff so confusing and daunting.

Looking ahead... I am looking to get the 17-40 to replace my sigma 10-20 and go full frame. I'd then keep the sigma 24-70 for the time being, but probably replace that with the canon L equivalent at a later date.

So is the 17-40L not the best option?

Just a quick reminder, the 17-55 is an EF-s lens and can't be used on a full-frame cam.

The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is a cracking walkaround - had mine for a few days now, and used it for most of my shots on the London Meet yesterday. Highly recommended - but as Alan says - limited to crop sensor cameras only.

Just a quick reminder, the 17-55 is an EF-s lens and can't be used on a full-frame cam.

Ah, great! That discounts that then.

Is there an easy way for me to know which lenses are FF compatible? I didn't think my sigma 24-70 was until the other day. I know the 10-20 isn't. But are there 'rules' or identifiers so that I know?

hold on... but markyh abouve has a 5D?

Ah, great! That discounts that then.

Is there an easy way for me to know which lenses are FF compatible? I didn't think my sigma 24-70 was until the other day. I know the 10-20 isn't. But are there 'rules' or identifiers so that I know?

hold on... but markyh abouve has a 5D?

And a 20D ;). Full-frame bodies can only use lenses with EF mounts; crop cameras can take EF and EF-S mounts.

For Sigma lenses, anything with a DC notifier is for crop bodies, and DG for full frame and crop bodies. For Tamron lenses, I seem to recall DII lenses are for crop bodies, DI for full frame too.

I think the 12-24mm, or a sharp 10-20mm is, by virtue of its design and intended use, a better wide angle, and don't forget the wide primes, such as the 14mm L. The 17-55 IS is probably the most versatile walkaround, though.

Mention of Tamron reminds me of the f/2.8-4 17-35mm.

I think the 12-24mm, or a sharp 10-20mm is, by virtue of its design and intended use, a better wide angle, and don't forget the wide primes, such as the 14mm L. The 17-55 IS is probably the most versatile walkaround, though.

What I'm trying to suss out though is, if I sell my 400D and go full frame where would I be wise spending money. I would use the siggy 24-70 to save more expense to start with, but would miss my 10-20. Obviously 10-20 is 16-32, so there 'appears' two options to me... 16-35L or 17-40L. Since the 16-35 is so expensive and I wouldn't need the wider aperture for landscapes, I was thinking the 17-40 would be a good choice. Not too pricey either, so I should be able to manage that and a body all at once in the new year. And then I reckon I could probably get away with using the 17-40 for pretty much all landscape work.

I have just discovered through other threads etc that the 16-35 suffers less from distortion, but it's one of those cases where I need to start somewhere and there's only so much money in the pot.

I dont want to miss any lenses that might be a better option, but do want to plan ahead and get something that i'll hopefully keep forever(ish) and not want to upgrade again in 6 months.

Looks like i'm here for the long haul now :D

if you are really going to go 135 then just forget about getting the 17-55 and go with the 17-40mm L for the now, you can always buy a 24-X type zoom after you get your 135 camera. The sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM should be out by then which will be greatly less expensive than the canon L verson.

from what I've read the 17-40 is actually the better lens over the 16-35 anyway

And the cheapo Tamron 17-35 is meant to be at least as good as the 17-40 at the same aperture, though is more lightly built.

If you're looking for a full frame alternative then you're in the same boat as me!

I'd be interested to know what you end up choosing.

What I'm trying to suss out though is, if I sell my 400D and go full frame where would I be wise spending money. I would use the siggy 24-70 to save more expense to start with, but would miss my 10-20. Obviously 10-20 is 16-32, so there 'appears' two options to me... 16-35L or 17-40L. Since the 16-35 is so expensive and I wouldn't need the wider aperture for landscapes, I was thinking the 17-40 would be a good choice. Not too pricey either, so I should be able to manage that and a body all at once in the new year. And then I reckon I could probably get away with using the 17-40 for pretty much all landscape work.

I have just discovered through other threads etc that the 16-35 suffers less from distortion, but it's one of those cases where I need to start somewhere and there's only so much money in the pot.

I dont want to miss any lenses that might be a better option, but do want to plan ahead and get something that i'll hopefully keep forever(ish) and not want to upgrade again in 6 months.

Looks like i'm here for the long haul now :D

Are you dismissing the 12-24mm? I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 17-40 L, in that case - I think I'd probably choose it in your situation :)...it's that little bit more versatile than the 16-35mm with that extra 5mm, and obviously a lot cheaper.

Are you dismissing the 12-24mm? I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 17-40 L, in that case - I think I'd probably choose it in your situation :)...it's that little bit more versatile than the 16-35mm with that extra 5mm, and obviously a lot cheaper.

The Sigma 12-24 is FF compatible and is a pretty good lens in my experience. I had one of my shots taken using that lens printed at 20" x 30" after a little cropping to straighten the horizon and it looks pretty good. It's slower, optically, than the Canon 17-40, but is seriously W I D E. At 12mm, it's pretty easy to just stop down a little and shoot hyperfocal even when walking around (in half-decent light, at least).

Dammit! Now you've got me thinking about getting another one. Just when I thought I'd got over the whole wide-angle thing.

At least with the 12-24mm, it gives you the option of going that wide, if you want to use it. Hmmmm, a difficult choice.

I tried a Sigma 17-35mm on my 5D today. Shooting conditions weren't ideal, but what it produced wasn't bad.

I have a 17-40 and find it a great landscape lens on FF, if you don`t need the extra stop of light then go for it. It gives good results which you will be happy with.

Back