Street Photography: Nailing it.

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Several weeks ago, I asked what I thought was a fairly basic question, in an effort to get a better understanding of how to take a good landscape photo. I learned SH*TLOADS from the replies, I kid you not. So...

Recently, I have been shooting a lot of "street" photography. Im pretty pants at it, and want to be better, so here I am, asking for help, ideas, your likes and dislikes, and just - anything you can bring to the table in terms of help. Help for me, help for others wanting to have a stab. I hope that this thread, can be used once all is said and done, as a reference guide on how to hit the streets with confidence.

So I may as well start with some questions! :)

1: How important is it to capture "all of someone". Ie, as opposed to "Head and Shoulders", do you think getting the entire body in is important? AT the expense of what - facial features being closer and more detailed? That emotion being "lost" due to it being smaller? I struggle to answer this one, although personally - I prefer the close portraits. Am I wrong?

2: What defines a "good street snap", and when does it become a "great street photo"? What must every "great street photo" have? What must it NOT have?

3: How do you spot that "great street photo", what do you look for? Are there any hints, tips that you can share, which will help you plan that shot which is about to expose itself?

4: With regards to lens selection, what works best? I love my 50, and I love my 85. The bokeh is amazing. I like my 24 to 70, but can't seem to use it to the same level I do my other two. What is your preferred lens choice and why? When you change lenses, what makes you change?

5: How important is bokeh? What is more important - seeing the area and "event" in the background so to speak, or an amazing blur of colours and lights, which are in no way recognisable, but add an artistic element to a shot, which would otherwise be lost? Is there a line? Me? I love the blur. Again, am I wrong?

6: How important is emotion? I suspect hugely important. However, are all emotions appealing to look at? Anger? Sadness? Fear? Are those street photos as good as Joy? Excitement? Affection? I find I get a lot of "**** off" looks - are they good viewing? I like them. Am I wrong?

7: Light is clearly important. But I don't feel its "landscape" important. Street lights change, any given street or viewpoint can have a huge variety of colours, shadows, light tones etc. It is impossible for us to control it, but we can still see it. So where us the "Golden Hour" of street photography? What light works best? What light should be avoided?

8: How important is an "event"? Does a shot of a person walking home from work, carry the same weight as a shot of someone partying at, I dunno, a massive charitable event? Do you feel there is a place for "non event street photography"? Where do you lie, Event versus Non event, and why?

9: Candid versus Posed. What works best, and why? What is your favourite style? I prefer candid, but perhaps thats down to my fear of asking a stranger to pose?

10: How important are shadows. Shadows around the subject, as well as local shadows (under the eyes, in the lines of skin etc).

11: Contrast, what is your take on it? Higher than "normal"?

12: B & W versus COLOUR. When, and why?

13: What, in your own honest opinion, makes a good street photographer. What qualities will they have? How do you imagine there attitude? What mindset are they in when they hit the streets? What preparation will they make? What is the typical shoot of a street photographer all about?

Look, I have asked a lot of in depth questions, and I don't blame anyone if they do not have the time to go through them all. There are 3 photographers I can think of, whom I would be forever grateful if they did answer. Pete, Deigo and Blinkerz. Its asking a lot, a hell of a lot.

Last question. If you have the time and inclination, post a link to your favourite street photo ever, and tell us why. It does not need to be from a TP member. It could be any photo taken by anyone.

I really hope this thread works, it could be so very useful and become one of those threads that makes Talk Photography the best photographic site on the net.

Gary.

You know, after taking the best part of an hour to think of and write that thread, if the only answer I end up getting is "YES", I will go home, and shoot myself :D

Gary.

Nothing else for it after that Gary...

Yes :D

DD

Thanks for starting this thread Garry, I for one will watch it with anticipation. Street photography appeals to me as well, but I would'nt have had the faintest idea what questions to ask.

You just know this threads going to run and run (y)

Quick answer. Two types of photography there. Street is documentary basically. You've also hinted at street portraiture which kinda splits into two sections. Candid and posed.

Quick answer. Two types of photography there. Street is documentary basically. You've also hinted at street portraiture which kinda splits into two sections. Candid and posed.

Woohoo, first real answer :D

Looking forward to "The Reply: Extended Edition" Pete :D

Gary.

Which do you prefer? ANother "quick answer" is fine :D

I tend to try not to worry about all the things mentioned gary and go out and just enjoy myself I use what ever lens is on the camera and normally travel light (Apart from Meets)

My lenses of choice are 50-150 2.8 and my 28mm 2.8 thats about it, the rest I sort out as I shoot. B&W or Colour is image dependant for me, so is DoF, As for for the rest it normally sorts its self out in the wash.

Quite a lot of the time I get good results doing what I want and trying to find something that pleases me in the scene.

Way I look at it do what ever makes you happy, end of the day thats all that matters.

Nigel

Which do you prefer? ANother "quick answer" is fine :D

Documentary.

Way I look at it do what ever makes you happy, end of the day thats all that matters.

Nigel

Maybe. But its important to learn about the art, find inspiration and understand it. If you want to do good street photography you're going to have to learn about it. If you want to be happy then buy a 600mm f/2.8 and stand 5 miles away in a hotel room.

I tend to try not to worry about all the things mentioned gary and go out and just enjoy myself I use what ever lens is on the camera and normally travel light (Apart from Meets)

My lenses of choice are 50-150 2.8 and my 28mm 2.8 thats about it, the rest I sort out as I shoot. B&W or Colour is image dependant for me, so is DoF, As for for the rest it normally sorts its self out in the wash.

Quite a lot of the time I get good results doing what I want and trying to find something that pleases me in the scene.

Nigel
This has probably been asked before a thousand times but why shoot in B&W at all when you can simply change from colour in PP?

This has probably been asked before a thousand times but why shoot in B&W at all when you can simply change from colour in PP?

I'm not sure Nigel said he did shoot in B & W. I would be suprised if he did. A good way to learn though I bet.

Gary.

I thought the whole point of street photography was to capture people interacting with their environment, as opposed to just taking random shots of people walking down the street. The Hardcore Street Photography group on Flickr is a great place to start with regards to looking for inspiration. I'm learning a lot from there, but would also be interested to see the responses to this thread.

Yes, and no, to all of the above and more, or less, of the same when all is said and done, at the end of the day, is it the be all or not? Who knows. :D

However, on a more serious note, (C#) I'm looking forward to the more serious answers to your questions Gary.

Andy

Interesting - could you offer an explanation as to why? Gary did ask

:clap:

DD

Ah yeah, of course.

I really like this shot for a number of reasons. The most important to me is the reaction in the girls face. It doesn't look like she's had a lot of time to realise what's going on and so split second it's a great capture of a natural facial expression. Secondly is that you can see the position of the photographer in the window reflection, so not only do you see the subject but you see the person behind the camera too.

I also like how her belongings are arranged on the table. She looks so at home with her book, giant mug of coffee and some other bits and pieces, yet she's behind a giant sheet of glass that everyone can see through, almost like a window on her life.

OK, the mickey take answer was fun, but here are some serious answers for you from a layman's point of view. I'm not anywhere near talented enough to be able to offer technical responses, and it's not a field I've tried, so it all comes from a viewers stance (it may be of use, it may not, but hey, you can always ignore it!) :D

1: How important is it to capture "all of someone". Ie, as opposed to "Head and Shoulders", do you think getting the entire body in is important? AT the expense of what - facial features being closer and more detailed? That emotion being "lost" due to it being smaller? I struggle to answer this one, although personally - I prefer the close portraits. Am I wrong?

I think the subject determines this really. For me, a close up of someone's face through a crowd of people is an interesting shot if they are asleep, or tired, or look fed up etc., but if they are shouting or just looking in a particular direction, then I'd want to see some context to their expression.

I don't necessarily think a full length shot of someone loses any emotion, it just draws the viewer in to the shot more to make them explore and think about what you are shooting and why.

5: How important is bokeh? What is more important - seeing the area and "event" in the background so to speak, or an amazing blur of colours and lights, which are in no way recognisable, but add an artistic element to a shot, which would otherwise be lost? Is there a line? Me? I love the blur. Again, am I wrong?

Again, I think it's a question of whether it brings anything to the shot. Someone sat smoking on a bench outside a fitness studio or hospital would warrant a definable background to make it work for me but, as you proved with the few you shot the other day (I'm thinking guy with iPhone) a big fat squidgy bokeh can really make the subject stand out. The softness of the background worked brilliantly against the sharpness of his obvious annoyance, so the background was irrelevant to a large degree.

the woman in the green coat however needed a little context to me as she was going about her life and the definable background added to the mundane expression she had and seemed to add to the shot.

Does that make sense?

6: How important is emotion? I suspect hugely important. However, are all emotions appealing to look at? Anger? Sadness? Fear? Are those street photos as good as Joy? Excitement? Affection? I find I get a lot of "**** off" looks - are they good viewing? I like them. Am I wrong?

I think they should all convey some sort of emotion to be honest. I tend to like street shots that make me ask "Why" when I see the person's face. "Why are they angry?". "What made her cry?". Sometimes the image answers it, sometimes it doesn't. I think the emotion in question dictates whether it needs an answer or not most of the time.

9: Candid versus Posed. What works best, and why? What is your favourite style? I prefer candid, but perhaps thats down to my fear of asking a stranger to pose?

Candid for me, every time. You can't pose someone without making it look like a set up IMHO, and there in it loses a certain level of authenticity as a street shot. Even a street candid that isn't quite 'right' has more appeal for me than one that is compositionally perfect and beautifully lit.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if any of that is useful or not, but I had a bash! :D

Gary, did you read my explanation? I might not be Pete but I hope it's still valuable. :p

Thanks for starting this thread Garry, I for one will watch it with anticipation. Street photography appeals to me as well, but I would'nt have had the faintest idea what questions to ask.

You just know this threads going to run and run (y)

I already like the answers coming in, its going to be an immense thread.

Nigel

Cheers for your input Nigel. I do enjoy your shots.

I thought the whole point of street photography was to capture people interacting with their environment, as opposed to just taking random shots of people walking down the street. The Hardcore Street Photography group on Flickr is a great place to start with regards to looking for inspiration. I'm learning a lot from there, but would also be interested to see the responses to this thread.

Cheers, will add that group to my homepage tabs and keep an eye on it.

Ah yeah, of course.

I really like this shot for a number of reasons. The most important to me is the reaction in the girls face. It doesn't look like she's had a lot of time to realise what's going on and so split second it's a great capture of a natural facial expression. Secondly is that you can see the position of the photographer in the window reflection, so not only do you see the subject but you see the person behind the camera too.

I also like how her belongings are arranged on the table. She looks so at home with her book, giant mug of coffee and some other bits and pieces, yet she's behind a giant sheet of glass that everyone can see through, almost like a window on her life.

Thanks so much, its an excellent shot.

Yes, and no, to all of the above and more, or less, of the same when all is said and done, at the end of the day, is it the be all or not? Who knows. :D

However, on a more serious note, (C#) I'm looking forward to the more serious answers to your questions Gary.

Andy

:D

For me, street photography is about capturing a specific moment, something out of the ordinary. Snaps of people walking along the street don't really do anything for me.

I used to find that I was almost guaranteed to find something worth shooting on a wander through Glasgow, but that might just be Glasgow for you ;)

2: What defines a "good street snap", and when does it become a "great street photo"? What must every "great street photo" have? What must it NOT have?

3: How do you spot that "great street photo", what do you look for? Are there any hints, tips that you can share, which will help you plan that shot which is about to expose itself?

4: With regards to lens selection, what works best? I love my 50, and I love my 85. The bokeh is amazing. I like my 24 to 70, but can't seem to use it to the same level I do my other two. What is your preferred lens choice and why? When you change lenses, what makes you change?

7: Light is clearly important. But I don't feel its "landscape" important. Street lights change, any given street or viewpoint can have a huge variety of colours, shadows, light tones etc. It is impossible for us to control it, but we can still see it. So where us the "Golden Hour" of street photography? What light works best? What light should be avoided?

8: How important is an "event"? Does a shot of a person walking home from work, carry the same weight as a shot of someone partying at, I dunno, a massive charitable event? Do you feel there is a place for "non event street photography"? Where do you lie, Event versus Non event, and why?

10: How important are shadows. Shadows around the subject, as well as local shadows (under the eyes, in the lines of skin etc).

11: Contrast, what is your take on it? Higher than "normal"?

12: B & W versus COLOUR. When, and why?

13: What, in your own honest opinion, makes a good street photographer. What qualities will they have? How do you imagine there attitude? What mindset are they in when they hit the streets? What preparation will they make? What is the typical shoot of a street photographer all about?

1. I think for it to be a good street photograph you need to know the context. Showing all or most of someone normally makes that easier because there's more revealed. Otherwise it might be 'just' a portrait.

2. I think good and great street photographs have something to say. However that is said.

3. When you get the answer to this one, let me know.

4. I use an 18-55 kit lens. If I had the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 I'd use that.

5. On a personal level whilst I don't the background should be pin-sharp it's an important element. Too much blur and what makes it a street shot?

6. Emotion is good. But I don't want to feel like a voyeur.

7. I like the kind of lighting where the sky isn't quite black and the building lights are on. But TBH I also like all the other kinds too.

8. I prefer non events - the meaning can be a lot more elusive and all the better for it.

9. Candid. Or else it's a portrait. A portrait outside - and there's nothing wrong with that - but you've lost a bit of spontaneity.

10. They're unimportant unless it's the photographer casting their own into shot.

11. I tend to boost contrast in all the shots I convert to B&W. Just personal preference though.

12. For me, unless you're drawing attention to something specifically colourful, B&W works better. Others will disagree. They can't help being wrong though.

13. Persistence.

Just my take on it. Feel free to disregard.

For me, street photography is about capturing a specific moment, something out of the ordinary. Snaps of people walking along the street don't really do anything for me.

I used to find that I was almost guaranteed to find something worth shooting on a wander through Glasgow, but that might just be Glasgow for you ;)

I am in Glasgow next week for "shopping shots"....although this thread might change that.

Absolutely, but I've yet to have the balls to whip my camera out and snap away, but I will try hard to remedy that.

1. I think for it to be a good street photograph you need to know the context. Showing all or most of someone normally makes that easier because there's more revealed. Otherwise it might be 'just' a portrait.

2. I think good and great street photographs have something to say. However that is said.

3. When you get the answer to this one, let me know.

4. I use an 18-55 kit lens. If I had the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 I'd use that.

5. On a personal level whilst I don't the background should be pin-sharp it's an important element. Too much blur and what makes it a street shot?

6. Emotion is good. But I don't want to feel like a voyeur.

7. I like the kind of lighting where the sky isn't quite black and the building lights are on. But TBH I also like all the other kinds too.

8. I prefer non events - the meaning can be a lot more elusive and all the better for it.

9. Candid. Or else it's a portrait. A portrait outside - and there's nothing wrong with that - but you've lost a bit of spontaneity.

10. They're unimportant unless it's the photographer casting their own into shot.

11. I tend to boost contrast in all the shots I convert to B&W. Just personal preference though.

12. For me, unless you're drawing attention to something specifically colourful, B&W works better. Others will disagree. They can't help being wrong though.

13. Persistence.

Just my take on it. Feel free to disregard.

Thanks for taking the time, appreciated. And :LOL: at answer 12 :D

Gary.

I used to do it with a point and shoot, but a 300mm lens would offer a head start if you need to make a quick get away ;)

Although I have only recently returned to taking photographs on a daily basis after a twenty years or so lapse there was a time when all I did was what we called "candid" shots.

Given that when I started the zoom lens a very rare item, my choice was always a 70mm on a 35mm camera and 105m on a 6x6. I put it on before I went out and used it whatever the circumstances. You don't want to attract attention faffing about changing lenses while shooting.

A modern zoom covering these, or the equivalent, will be all you will need. Set the ISO to 400 and the speed to the slowest you feel you can hand hold and hope for the best.
As for the rest B&W = atmosphere and all most amateurs of my generation could afford and "bokeh" hadn't been invented! (I'll be honest ,I had to look it up!)

Although I have only recently returned to taking photographs on a daily basis after a twenty years or so lapse there was a time when all I did was what we called "candid" shots.

Given that when I started the zoom lens a very rare item, my choice was always a 70mm on a 35mm camera and 105m on a 6x6. I put it on before I went out and used it whatever the circumstances. You don't want to attract attention faffing about changing lenses while shooting.

A modern zoom covering these, or the equivalent, will be all you will need. Set the ISO to 400 and the speed to the slowest you feel you can hand hold and hope for the best.
As for the rest B&W = atmosphere and all most amateurs of my generation could afford and "bokeh" hadn't been invented! (I'll be honest ,I had to look it up!)

Thanks for your input mate. Much appreciated.

I used to do it with a point and shoot, but a 300mm lens would offer a head start if you need to make a quick get away ;)

Cheat :D

Back