Another two from the farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
I have walked behind one of these! I was just a boy though:D
This one was probably horse drawn then later, converted for the wee grey Fergie.
Seeder.jpg

Seeder2.jpg

The 2nd holds more interest that the 1st for me mate. I might want to apply a little vignette and some contrast.

Gary.

The 2nd holds more interest that the 1st for me mate. I might want to apply a little vignette and some contrast.

Gary.

I did not have my togs hat on! I was there to look at a job & just took a few grab shots. I may be allowed back to spend some time doing them in proper detail.

You and your bloomin contrast... he's right though more contrast will bring out the lovely rusty texture (y)

Agreed, but then it would not be a true record. I have been down this road before.:LOL::LOL:

Agreed, but then it would not be a true record. I have been down this road before.:LOL::LOL:

Indeed, since your camera only captures a certain part of that true record :p Personally I do feel that they need more contrast and some post production. I don't really see the point in saying "This is a true record, as chosen by the manufactuerers of my camera."

Indeed, since your camera only captures a certain part of that true record :p Personally I do feel that they need more contrast and some post production. I don't really see the point in saying "This is a true record, as chosen by the manufactuerers of my camera."

Personally I am not interested in what you personally think.:p

Personally, don't waste peoples time posting photos then :p

Only the mods on here can tell me not to post.
So if you do not like me posting either ignore my posts as I do yours or have a word with the mods.

:mincepies: *sigh* You try and help someone...

Thats just it though. All you are really doing is playing the great "I am" to be seen to bolster your already over inflated ego.
There seems to be a fashion these days for over saturated/ contrast images. I do not subscribe to that chain of thought.
The last time this came up I was getting PMs telling me I was wrong too.
These images were posted because I stupidly thought some of the members might be interested in the implements rather than the actual technical quality of the shots themselves.
I must be way out of step with the general thinking on here.:shrug:

Charlie,

I really hope you haven't left. Its bad on many fronts.

- Bad for you
- Bad for Pete Carr
- Bad for the Forums
- and bad for me

Why?

Well, at the end of the day, I always thought if an image is posted, it were posted for people opinions, whether they be good, bad or indifferent. I didnt realise your stance to be fair, and I had no idea you did not process your images. However, thats besides the point as people will still offer crit, regardless of your stance, afterall thats what people do here?.

Pete rubbed you up the wrong way, but unfortunately, he was simply offering some crit on your images, and offering his opinion. One I and many others will agree with, but perhaps written in a way many of us would avoid. So this will be bad for Pete, as it will yet again tarnish his reputation as the bad guy, even though he genuinly tries to help.

It looks bad for you, as it comes across as an inability to take crit on the chin. I am not saying you can't take it, but closing your account and deleting all images because people suggest improvements, is silly in my opinion.

Bad for the forums, as its threads like this, that scares people into not offering fair and true crit. True opinions are hidden to avoid upsetting someone. That is a killer blow for any "photo sharing" site I bet.

And bad for me, as personally, for the same reason above, it will make me think twice about commenting on certain posts with certain comments.

A sad day indeed, I think you should stick around, and rather than take the strop, enter into discussion with everyone. Explain that whilst you value someones crit, you have a different view.

Dunno what else to say ???

Gary.

PETE!! :bat: ....and you wonder why you get nominated for forum villain....:thinking:

Charlie, pay no attention to Mr Argumental. Lets see these shots back please (y)

Thats a bit harsh isn't it? Pete offered some crit (the same crit that was given by 2 other people first) and he was singled out and told that the OP isn't interested in his opinion. I'd be a bit miffed at that as well.

On top of that he also pointed out that no camera gives a 'true record' of an image, it gives the cameras record of the image, this is just as different in digital days as it was choosing different types of film - i.e. Velvia for lovey rich saturated landscape images.

I think its a real shame that Charlie has left, but as Gary said above it just ends up looking like yet another case of someone being unable to take critique on their work.

Personally I think we need something similar to the 'You can edit my photos' check box that says whether the people are just sharing their images or want c&c. I don't bother replying to most image posts these days unless I know the person well because you have no idea how someone is going to react, and if they react badly then you end up looking like the bad guy every time.

Last edited:
I was going to post a long reply with my take on the comments given on photos posted in forums but decided that some folks reckon that way is the only way and it was probably not worth the hassle. That is not aimed at anyone in particular.

Life has enough of hassles right now.

sawman I like your photos and understand where you come from with your stance. If you happpen to read this I hope your dog is still recovering well, look after you and yours, enjoy that lovely area where you live. I am slightly jealous and do miss Scotland.

Val

I was going to post a long reply with my take on the comments given on photos posted in forums but decided that some folks reckon that way is the only way and it was probably not worth the hassle. That is not aimed at anyone in particular.

Life has enough of hassles right now.

sawman I like your photos and understand where you come from with your stance. If you happpen to read this I hope your dog is still recovering well, look after you and yours, enjoy that lovely area where you live. I am slightly jealous and do miss Scotland.

Val

If it helps the forum, why not post your reply?

Gary.

I used to really enjoy seeing Sawman's progress with things he was doing.
I think it's all been taken out of context and blown a bit out of proportion. A simple "no crit required, just wanted to share these" after Gary's initial post would've done the job. Instead, it just turned in to a bit of a daft argument (as seems to be a regular occurrence more recently).

There seems to be a fashion these days for over saturated/ contrast images. I do not subscribe to that chain of thought.

Didn't say "over" said a bit more. No harm in that.

These images were posted because I stupidly thought some of the members might be interested in the implements rather than the actual technical quality of the shots themselves.
I must be way out of step with the general thinking on here.:shrug:

Well, its a photography forum not a wood shop tool forum. Maybe some people are, but I'm here for the photography. You don't like what I have to say then as you already said, ignore me. Don't throw your toys out and leave. Thats just stupid. Use the damn ignore feature. I'm sure many do.

PETE!! :bat: ....and you wonder why you get nominated for forum villain....:thinking:

Yer, stupid me trying to help. I should be the one leaving really. Shoud be "Person you most want to leave TP award", hell I'm sure it is to some.

A simple "no crit required, just wanted to share these" after Gary's initial post would've done the job.

I think 99.9% of us prepare and post our photos with a view to making it a stunning wall mounted photo lets be honest.

Charlie, however takes photos for us to see as a matter of interest for us... and they are.

He probably doesnt even think of trying to make them visibly stunning with tones and contrast etc as all he wants is a nice clear photo and the content is more important to him... which is why he was asking who knows what each impliment is for etc. We know you are not a country boy Pete and have no interest in this type of thing but others find it interesting and want to learn.

Maybe as you say he should perhaps put a note at the top, "critique of processing not required" but his photos are an endless source of interest, fun, and knowledge for us, much more than some other pics that are maybe tonally perfect.

I therefore think that each has there own style and way of doing things and as we now know that Charlie posts to share his knowledge of the countryside with us then perhaps we should refrain from comments about photographic style etc, now we know.

I havent spoken to Charlie since yesterday afternoon, and not about this at all, but I just hope he will change his mind as we will be a lot poorer without his wonderful photos.

Bottom line: He should post a line above the photos, and we should know him by now to not keep on and on saying the same thing about them as we know his style.

Janice,

I need to be completely honest, I had absolutely no idea he was anti PP / anti crit. Otherwise, I would have moved onto the next thread.

Gary.

If Charlie really has left then this is a great shame for all involved :(

Gary, I didn't know either tbh :thinking: :shrug:

My, aren't there some precious little so and so's in this thread?

Flounces, threatened flounces, ego's fighting for the front seat on the bus, goodness me.

Grow up people. It's a photography forum, where we share pictures. We all enjoy photography or we wouldn't be here so what is the point of arguing like school children or taking our ball home because someone said something nasty?

Sheesh! :bang:

As an aside: I note Charles has the option ticked for editing his photos. If he's that anti PP/crit then surely he wouldn't want others playing with his precious images?

Last edited:
Charlie, however takes photos for us to see as a matter of interest for us... and they are.

Point being that "as they are" is debatable. Especially as cameras have the ability to adjust the sharpness, contrast etc. I don't see any real point in producing flat raw photos. Even with film some were more contrasty than others because they were. Look at seijones's work. Looks like it was right out the camera, as if anyone could take it. I bet your ass its not. Easy to have that normal look while being asthetically pleasing.

We know you are not a country boy Pete and have no interest in this type of thing but others find it interesting and want to learn.

I live 2 minutes from farms, sheep, cows, horses. I do find the city more interesting but then as I said, I'm here for photography. If these looked more "appealing" then I may have had more interest. The photography side was what I didn't like.

Bottom line: He should post a line above the photos, and we should know him by now to not keep on and on saying the same thing about them as we know his style.

Bottom line, he's a grown man isn't he? Doesn't like what he reads, ignore user function. Carry on. To do this is abosolutely stupid.

Don't you dare! :bat:

I'm not planning on it. Just how it feels some days.

Last edited:
Didn't say "over" said a bit more. No harm in that.

Well, its a photography forum not a wood shop tool forum. Maybe some people are, but I'm here for the photography. You don't like what I have to say then as you already said, ignore me. Don't throw your toys out and leave. Thats just stupid. Use the damn ignore feature. I'm sure many do.

Yer, stupid me trying to help. I should be the one leaving really. Shoud be "Person you most want to leave TP award", hell I'm sure it is to some.

Charlie is a lovely person who posts some wonderful images that many of us like to look at. Politeness costs nothing. Sometimes Pete you have a brash and rude way of replying to posts which doesn't come across as helpful. I have nothing against you Pete but wish you could be more polite and thoughtful in your comments. Everyone is different and needs to be handled differently. Don't take a carte blanche I am who I am so you have to accept me because it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back