£20k budget - what would you spend it on?

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Ok, for whatever the reason, insurance payout after losing everything, sold everything and this is what you have, inheritance, investment, retirement - doesn't matter, assume you have no kit at present and you have 20k to spend - what would you choose?

Reason for asking is partly for fun and also partly me playing with the idea of selling everything and going for the Pentax 645z + lenses + IT system to deal with it, curious what others would do

Beer, recreational substances, fast women and fast cars

oh you wanted cameras :LOL:

1DX and 200-400 f4 , 70-200 f2.8 , 24 -70 f2.8, and a 150 mm f2.8 macro

20K is not that much in the grand scheme of things but if it had all to be spent on camera equipment it would be the latest 1D series with a 600mm or 800mm lens to go with it this would have to be 2nd hand though as I would like a 400mm f2.8 as well. Love my bird photography and sometimes you just cannot get close enough. and with the change a mars bar to keep me going lol

the first thing I'd do before spending 20k in one go is register for VAT (if I wasn't already) :):D

more seriously, I'd spend it on the best glass and lighting I could afford and then get a couple of bodies with whats left, bearing in mind that £3500 will get you a nice pair of D3s's. There is only one lens I lust over and not been fortunate enough to own and thats the 200mm f/2 VR Nikkor. One day I'll find a reason to justify buying it.

Last edited:
Nothing extravagant, would buy the X-T1 again with a few lenses and series 1 Gitzo with light good quality ballhead.

Rest would go on a Eurorail pass and accommodation costs

I'd spend about £1k on kit (don't know what - maybe I'd just hang on to it to spend on kit when I know!) and £19k on having some fun taking photos, perhaps paying for some decent tuition, a couple of "photography holidays" and the like over the space of a couple of years. I know it's not equipment, but I think that would add the most to my enjoyment and ability.

the first thing I'd do before spending 20k in one go is register for VAT (if I wasn't already) :):D

Why?
- it has no effect on personal spending..

Crack:eek:

I'd carry on using the kit I've got and spend all the money on studio hire and models

Nikon D4S
Nikkor 35mm f1.4
Nikkor 50mm f1.4
Nikkor 85mm f1.4
Nikkor 12-24mm f2.8
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8
Nikkor 300mm f2.8
Nikkor 400mm f2.8
Nikkor 500mm f2.8
Nikon SB-910 SpeedLight x3

Sony A7 / A7R / A7S
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 OSS
Sony G 70-200mm f4 OSS

MacPro
4K monitors

:)

Why?
- it has no effect on personal spending..

Surely you can get round that by registering as self employed and VAT and doing a cheap photoshoot for a mate give him an Invoice and bobs ya uncle.

Everyone starts with their first job

1dx
600f4mkII
300f 2.8mkII
and the mkIII tc's

Rob.

Surely you can get round that by registering as self employed and VAT and doing a cheap photoshoot for a mate give him an Invoice and bobs ya uncle.

Everyone starts with their first job

HMRC arent that stupid - as I understand it you can only claim vat back against vat you charge, so unless you were planning on charging your mate 4k in vat that aint going to fly.

what you could do is register self employed forget the vat , and claim the whole 20 k expenditure against your very small business income - then get the -ve tax on the loss set against your tax on your day job, however thats essentially fraud and you will get caught so its best not to play silly beggars with the men in black

Last edited:
Six berth Motorhome. Pack up me photography gear, fishing gear, say bye bye to the wife and f*** off into the bright blue yonder on me jack for a while. Nectar!!!!

Return flight to Japan with JAL - business class

then hunt down:

FA*200 f4 Macro
FA*28-70 f2.8
FA*70-200 f2.8
FA*300 f2.8
FA*400 f5.6
FA*250-600

the Macro is apparently the Holy Grail of Pentax FA* glass and pretty rare....

then see how much change for some Nikon kit too.

as I understand it you can only claim vat back against vat you charge, so unless you were planning on charging your mate 4k in vat that aint going to fly.

that isn't true, but you're right HMRC aren't that stupid. I wish I hadn't have brought it up now, even as a joke, this thread was (I assume) meant as a bit of fun, and its in danger of being corrupted with boring accountant talk!

Last edited:
HMRC arent that stupid - as I understand it you can only claim vat back against vat you charge, so unless you were planning on charging your mate 4k in vat that aint going to fly.

what you could do is register self employed forget the vat , and claim the whole 20 k expenditure against your very small business income - then get the -ve tax on the loss set against your tax on your day job, however thats essentially fraud and you will get caught so its best not to play silly beggars with the men in black

HMRC said:
If the VAT you're reclaiming is more than the VAT you've charged on your sales, your return will show an amount owing to you, and you may be due a repayment from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Any repayment will be paid directly into your bank account,

Similar to Brash but smaller camper van so I could be in the middle of nowhere at the beginning and the end of the day with no worries about getting back to B&B.

Back OT.

I'd spend it on a D4s and kit out a studio as much as I could.

If I were you I would ask me to sell you all my kit (pants and all) then simply gloat over it all whilst I spend, and spend on new gear:)

Beer, recreational substances, fast women and fast cars

oh you wanted cameras :LOL:

1DX and 200-400 f4 , 70-200 f2.8 , 24 -70 f2.8, and a 150 mm f2.8 macro

downfall of man - fast women, slow horses

seriously next year will have similar funds avaliable

1. upgrade canon aps-c bodies to 7d & 70d, Canon 100 - 400 zoom lens
2. 2nd Fuji S5pro body + quality Nikon fit 300mm zoom lens
3. Nikon d810 + 80 - 400mm lens

plus accessories, grips, batteries, memory cards

I'd also like to add. Spend some on some photography workshops etc. No point being the guy with all the gear and no idea.........Oh hang on..damn

that isn't true, but you're right HMRC aren't that stupid. I wish I hadn't have brought it up now, even as a joke, this thread was (I assume) meant as a bit of fun, and its in danger of being corrupted with boring accountant talk!

you are right i got my facts arse backwards (this is the joy of not being allowed to use google to research factually correct posts)

Why so many Women & Cars ?

Me cant drive & women have had enough money out of me :D

Mine add a couple of lens & cameras the rest on traveling

If had had to start again with gear as per the OP I would just replace my current kit but would also get the Canon 200-400 F4
If I just had to replace my kit I would spent the rest on a trip to the Pantanal in Brazil to see Jaguars for the missus and I :)

Nikon D810
Nikon D810
Nikon Df
Nikon Df

MB-D12
MB-D12

Nikon 24mm f1.4G
Nikon 35mm f1.4G
Nikon 50mm f1.4G
Nikon 85mm f1.4G
Nikon 135mm f2.0D

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8

Last edited:
I quite like your choice. However, I'd go with a medium format FILM camera system, with a couple of bodies, lenses, tube, flashgun, accessories. Then I'd buy a lot of film. With the remaining £15,000, I'd travel and use that film.

That must be some fancy, gold plated medium format system if you're going to spend £5,000 on it!

Just to be temporarily serious, I think I would buy a Hasselblad just to see why they are held in such high regard... and a Leica... and perhaps a Fujifilm 617.

I suppose I should buy a couple of tons of film too. And paper.

Steve.

Last edited:
Back