£250 DSLR Alternative

Edit My Images
Yes
So my sister sent me a link for a 1100D with a kit lens asking if it's any good as she wants a good camera. I'm 100% convinced that she doesn't need or want, or will use a DSLR it's just that everyone associates them with good photos.

So over to the TP collective, what would you recommend as a DSLR alternative for upto £250?

second hand RX100?

Genuinely a foolproof P&S camera in my opinion. Bad pictures will still be bad, but the auto/scene modes are pretty good and the quality of images is great for the size.

I'm not sure I'd recommend anything else to be honest, if you are talking about a new camera (rather than a used one).

You could pick up a new Olympus Pen E-PM1 or E-PL3 with kit lens for under £200.00 at Great Western Cameras, but I'm not sure of any other deals for that price. Anything else will have a smaller sensor which may stifle creative options (depending on what she considers a good photo e.g. subject isolation or edge to edge sharpness).

BTW, Canon are selling 1100D refurb kits for £175.00 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item5b01d79644

Or EOS-M refurb kits for £250 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item5b00112178

Sorry, I should have clarified that she's not a photographer, shes a mother of 2 who would like a camera that has the ability to take quality pictures. I really want to steer here away from a DSLR as it just won't get used as much as another camera due to it's size. £10 says that if she bought one an alternative lens wouldn't be a consideration.

Fuji XF1?

I did see the refurb kit, thought it was a bargain. I'm more incline to think she'd get more use out of a mrrorless. Just looked at the picture, no built in flash with the EOS-M?

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have clarified that she's not a photographer, shes a mother of 2 who would like a camera that has the ability to take quality pictures.

I'd say that any 'good' compact will do the job perfectly. (I used the RX100 as my example before because I've got one and love it, but there are loads out there)

But maybe if she's after an SLR in here head a chunkier bridge camera might be a better choice for her?

If she doesn't want to take up photography I would personally head towards a Mirrorless camera. I don't see DSLR's having any major advantages unless your a pro who needs Jedi like AF Tracking.

£250 could get you a Fuji XF1 / XQ1 or the Panasonic TZ60.

Here's my take why does she want a dslr. If it's to get better shots encourage her and say get a 700d you will not out grow it.

Here's my take why does she want a dslr. If it's to get better shots encourage her and say get a 700d you will not out grow it.

She doesn't. She wanted a DSLR as that's what she associates with good pictures.

here is my tuppence worth.. firtsly, you steer your sister away from a DSLR to something else and when that something else produces a bad shot its your fault.. secondly, 1100ds are not too big and they are very beginner friendly and your sister will probably get more keepers with that than anything else non DSLR, when he wanted to get into cameras I gave my lad a 1000d set on auto and I was pleasantly surprised how many sharp well exposed shots came out, the dog running around the garden, birds flying, his bro and sis doing cartwheels, all good.

you are 100% convinced against it but I personally think it might be one of the better choices, and £174.99 means a nifty 50 1.8 is on the table, your sister will be chuffed with the results.

How many ordinary (as in... not like us lot on this forum :D) people would be happy with a 85mm equiv focal length fixed lens?

How many ordinary (as in... not like us lot on this forum :D) people would be happy with a 85mm equiv focal length fixed lens?

Not many. How many would be happy with the 'zoom' on a 18-55mm or the weight of an 18-250mm.

a mum of 2 hanging a 30 x 20 " portrait of her kids on the wall, a portrait she herself did take with a nifty 50 attached to an 1100d..

I tell ya @WelshNoob you are going to be heading into 'overthinking it' territory, a place I quite often go and it isn't pretty :D :beer:

I just know what a PITA a DSLR is to carry around.

a mum of 2 hanging a 30 x 20 " portrait of her kids on the wall, a portrait she herself did take with a nifty 50 attached to an 1100d..

Yup but most of the time she may be frustrated that to get the kids in shot she'd have to leave home and cross the road... a slight exaggeration but you'll see my point. Most people will probably be happy with an ipone FoV but they zoom (digitally I assume) so maybe a 18-50mm kit lens would be the way to go.

My sister is slightly into photography and did indeed used to change lenses on her DSLR but since going mirrorless with a Sony Nex she never changes from the kit zoom and the lovely 50mm f1.7 I gave her sits in the drawer unused. My GF snaps like mad and takes more pictures than me but only on her ipone.

I don't know any normal person who has a 30x20 on the wall.

Last edited:
Personally having had the RX100 (and RX100 mk2) I would not recommend it as a great camera for someone with no photographic knowledge.
I found its preference for low shutter speeds and having the worst image stabilisation of any camera that I have owned didn't make it a great indoor camera. (Many of my shots of my young children are indoors.)

I think that a Sony NEX 3NL would be a good choice £225 from Argos here:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1021349.htm

Its APS-C sized sensor is very good and with the collapsible kit lens it is very transportable.
I had a 3N and was quite impressed with it. (I now have an A6000 with the 16-70 zeiss lens and it is the best camera that i have had.)

From your description I would not expect your sister to bother with other lenses - but the option is there in the future if she ever wants it.

If the Argos one is not in stock near you you can always try MPB Photographic:

£145 for a used, boxed 3N body:
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...pact-system-cameras/sony-alpha-nex-3nl-body-1

Or £250 on Ebay for a new one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-NEX-...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item3f39dd47bd

Looking at the sold items on Ebay these go for as little as £170 including postage.

Or step up to the NEX 5R for £250:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Alph...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item33926f4892

Last edited:
I think that a Sony NEX 3NL would be a good choice £225 from Argos here:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1021349.htm

Its APS-C sized sensor is very good and with the collapsible kit lens it is very transportable.
I had a 3N and was quite impressed with it. (I now have an A6000 with the 16-70 zeiss lens and it is the best camera that i have had.)

From your description I would not expect your sister to bother with other lenses - but the option is there in the future if she ever wants it.

Yup. The image quality my sister gets from her Nex would very probably beat many used and even new entry level DSLR's.

Fuji X10... small , compact, optical viewfinder, decent sized sensor for a compact, Zoom to allow some adjustment, full auto through to full manual so easy to use but allows scope for advancement... image quality superb and best of all in budget at around £200.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-X10-Digital-Camera-Adapter/dp/B005JRGWNS

i would have said the x20 or x100s but both are beyond budget and chose this over the xf1 and xq1 due to having an optical viewfinder

Because?

It's a great camera with excellent resolution and is selling sh on ebay for under £200. They are a bargain.

The whole point of the thread was to offer alternatives to a DSLR. As you recommended a DSLR, it doesn't really fit in with the brief.

Fuji X10 gets my vote too. It is a point and shoot that allows folk to learn the intricacies of the exposure triangle while having reasonably fast lens and is compact enough to carry everywhere, well almost everywhere ;-)

If she can stretch slightly you can get a Panasonic Lumix TZ60.
£306 from Amazon plus £30 cash back. Offer ends on 31st though. :)
Failing that then the Fuji compacts are definitely the way to go.
DSLR are just big n bulky, the novelty would soon wear off and it won't see much use.

From the original post she has asked about an 1100d and you have looked for alternatives this should be about what is best for her

From what has been said in the original post she has asked about an 1100d you have looked for alternatives this should be about the best for her

From what has been said in the original post she has asked about an 1100d you have looked for alternatives this should be about the best for her

Picked up a canon eos m recently and have to say very pleased with it..cracking image quality and very user friendly.Also would have the option to add the adaptor to her kit if she did decide she wanted more lenses.Coupled with the 22mm f2 lens its a very compact capable bit of kit.

Picked up a canon eos m recently and have to say very pleased with it..cracking image quality and very user friendly.Also would have the option to add the adaptor to her kit if she did decide she wanted more lenses.Coupled with the 22mm f2 lens its a very compact capable bit of kit.

They look like they don't have a built in flash or am I wrong?

Id recommend a used Panasonic GX1 with a 14-42mm power zoom. Good sensor, nice handling, built in flash. One of the biggest bargains out there.

here is my tuppence worth.. firtsly, you steer your sister away from a DSLR to something else and when that something else produces a bad shot its your fault..

That's it, really. Unless a dslr is out of budget, let her get a dslr.

It's psychology.;)

She thinks she wants a DSLR because she 'knows' they take the best pics. If she gets something else and the pics are crap it'll be your fault because she knew a DSLR takes the best pics. She will wish she'd got a DSLR and won't take any advice you might offer on how to improve the pics - because buying a DSLR would do that and you told her not to get one.

On the other hand if she gets a DSLR and her pics are crap she's likely to come to you to ask why and heed your advice.

But if you must have an alternative I'd suggest a used Panasonic G3 or similar. Looks like a DSLR, has interchangeable lenses, is small, light and pretty darned good.

So my sister sent me a link for a 1100D with a kit lens asking if it's any good as she wants a good camera. I'm 100% convinced that she doesn't need or want, or will use a DSLR it's just that everyone associates them with good photos.

So over to the TP collective, what would you recommend as a DSLR alternative for upto £250?

I'm a little curious as to why you'd talk someone out of a DSLR ?

When people ask me what camera they should get, unless I know they're the sort of people who will actually learn to use it, I generally tell them to buy a new iPhone.

At least then, whilst they're getting over the disappointment of still taking crappy photos, they still have a nice shiny new iPhone
Evil.gif

Back