£315 worth of memory cards just left on doorstep

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've heard people say that the home delivery network isn't the best, until today I didn't think there was anything in that, however, I got back from a long weekend away celebrating my 2nd wedding anniversary and found they had left my £315 compact flash card order (11x8Gb) with Amazon had just been left on my front step. Fortunately it was still there, but I just couldn't believe how crazy this was. I'm sure I would have been able to have claimed if it had gone missing but isn't this totally crazy?

Amazon left my 42" tele in my back garden (visible from the road which is quite busy) after the driver signed for it himself... Although that was dpd!

That resulted in me doing A 50 mile round trip from work to get it indoors!!

I did complain to amazon and they gave me a £15 gift voucher.... Always worth an angry email!

Think it depends on the actuall driver more than the courier these days...

Last edited:
Royal Mail aren't legally allowed to leave items, even with neighbours, yet other delivery companies are - something that they are trying to have changed.

The downside of internet shopping is the delivery given a large number of people work away from home 9-5. I always get nervous when I am having something delivered by a non RM company as the delivery companies pick up place is usually miles away. Its always useful that some companies have a delivery options option so you can select to leave round the back or in the porch or with a neighbours. Some companies don't have this option and its up to the driver to decide what to do, RM don't have this luxury.

HDNL. The worst of all of them. Number of times I've had something signed for by 'Porch'... DPD are usually loads better as they at least say which hour they will deliver.

skiking said:
Royal Mail aren't legally allowed to leave items

I came home one day to find a box lying in the flowerbed in my back garden, which had seemingly been dumped there by Parcelforce a couple of days previously.

That in itself would have been annoying if they hadn't been clearly marked as perishable goods, and equally as clearly addressed to someone who lived three streets away....

Royal Mail aren't legally allowed to leave items, even with neighbours, yet other delivery companies are - something that they are trying to have changed.

The downside of internet shopping is the delivery given a large number of people work away from home 9-5. I always get nervous when I am having something delivered by a non RM company as the delivery companies pick up place is usually miles away. Its always useful that some companies have a delivery options option so you can select to leave round the back or in the porch or with a neighbours. Some companies don't have this option and its up to the driver to decide what to do, RM don't have this luxury.

Royal Mail are now allowed to do so, and they are in a trial phase at present.

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery-neighbour/faqs/faqs

It really annoys me when delivery drivers do this :shake: I remember having and item delivered by HDNL and I was in my hall at the time that the driver opened my porch do dropped the package and left, didn't even consider knocking, they're a disgrace, and to be honest these day's if a company uses them I will deliberately avoid them, with amazon as that is where I get my cards from also I always select the free delivery rather than the expedited as then as a rule it comes via RM or Parcelforce in my experience (y)

Matt

£315 worth of memory cards left on a doorstep................sorry mate - never received them.

No wonder insurance companies charge so much :shake:

A lesser OP would, perhaps, have actually made the claim for non-delivery.

Amazon would then have referred the claim to the carrier - who could well pass the claim on to their insurers........or, more likely, would have absorbed the loss due to a high Goods In Transit Policy excess.

As an insurer I would want to charge a premium to a carrier who is likely to make claims due to the actions of it's employees.

Inevitably the customer will pay somewhere down the line...............

Unless, of course, you were maybe thinking it would be a good idea:D

Glad (I think) that I'm not the only one to have had fun and games with deliveries..... shame they just can't do a good job though!

got to ask why buy something that would be with you whilst you were away surely it says how soon it could be delivered

Strangely it did say, and as Mon and Tues were bank holidays the details from Amazon stated Wednesday...... do I come across as someone who is completely stupid?

what annoys me is that we have to pay insurance premiums on expensive goods we are having delivered or sent to cover them breaking them or stealing them or loosing them
wtf is that all about

here comes your new 5d Mk3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6_9A90cUk

Last edited:
Came home today to find Yodel had put my Amazon order behind the bin. OK it saves me a trip to the depot, but its been raining and so a lot of water has drained off the bin lid onto the box, and its so soggy I don't need anything sharp to get inside. Thankfully the book inside is OK.

They need to start using peli cases instead of cardboard boxes for delivered items. The condition some parcels are in when i get them look like they've been thrown out of the van on the motorway and run over by multiple vehicles before they get to me, dread to think what happens to them in transit.

Came home today to find Yodel had put my Amazon order behind the bin. OK it saves me a trip to the depot, but its been raining and so a lot of water has drained off the bin lid onto the box, and its so soggy I don't need anything sharp to get inside. Thankfully the book inside is OK.
had exactly the same thing yesterday the box fell apart when I picked it up
contents were wet but OK , luckily it was not a book

I think it depends a lot on the driver. I know my HDN/Yodel driver reasonably well now (after the number of deliveries) and even though I'd left a carrier bag and note hanging on the door (asking to leave in one of the wheely bins) he took it back as the box wouldn't fit in the carrier (why do Amazon use such big boxes for small packages inside?) and the gardener was there and he wasn't sure it would be safe.

Also worth getting the local branch number so if you need it redelivered you can speak with them direct. Website only offered redelivered 2 days later but a call to the branch and I had it next day.

Citylink are the worst in my opinion and I have asked Amazon not to use them for any of my deliveries.

Slightly off subject, but have you seen here where DHL are to employ 'runners' to deliver in London during the Olympics, because congestion is anticipated to be crazy.

Mind you, I'd like to see them deliver a 42in monitor 4 miles away !:)

I've had a £250 watch left unsigned for by RMSD behind my wheelie bin, while I was waiting in all day for them to deliver. When I hadn't got it that day I checked on the website and it said I'd been carded, which I never did get. I didn't find the watch until the next day when the delivery man came and told me where he'd left it.

Personally I'd have no qualms whatsoever about claiming the items were never delivered and demanding replacements. The vendor will have an agreement with the courier that they pay for anything that's lost, as they'll have had to in order to get the contract, so the vendor will just claim off them and the courier company will pay for it. They'll then quiz the driver as to what happened to them etc and, at the very least, make them squirm if not lose their jobs.

I'm not a vindictive person but, with so many people looking for work these days, anyone who has a job yet doesn't have the scruples or plain decency to do it properly, deserves to lose it and give someone else a shot.

All to easy to blame the company/driver but some are just following the senders instructions!! I have a route with one of the mentioned companies and Amazon authorise us to post all parcels, obviously a 42" tv isn't going to post!!
Some senders have an acceptable loss policy and as for insurance....I drive 60k+ miles per year, have a clean licence, am over 40 and have a good accident record and I pay £3500 for my combined insurances to go to work and because of my job get penalised on my car!
As for people losing their jobs.....you steal, get caught and end up with a record. As for the drivers attitude, trying doing the job in todays cut throat market where the employers see you as disposable, expect you to work 11 hour days if employed or longer if self employed and have no respect for you. Its not an easy job at the best of times and we don't all have good days all the time, do we?

Last edited:
Well, if you claim it never arrived then either the vendor or the courier picks up the tab. If the vendor has instructed the courier to leave it lying around if necessary then they'll not have a leg to stand on and will have to pay for it themselves, otherwise if they've not given the courier such permission then the courier will be asked questions and will end up paying.

Either way, the responsible party will end up paying for their ineptitude or lack of care and I have no problem with that.

Very common nowadays. Had alot of stuff signed for by drivers and left on the doorstep :(

I came home one Friday afternoon and found a brand new boxed bathroom suite in my back garden! There was no delivery paperwork and nothing marked on the boxes, and no note throught the door. I put it in my garage so I could use the patio over the weekend and it's still there - that was over a year ago! :LOL:

Last edited:
I once had been expecting a delivery from HDNL that didn't show up. I phoned the supplier and they said the HDNL delivery note said they'd left it in the greenhouse, but I don't have a greenhouse. Two days later I found it, in the 'green' rubbish bin! bloody lucky no collection was due.

Back