10 stop filter

Edit My Images
Yes
just wandering if anyone can recommend a 10 stop nd filter for around £50.
mother in law wants to know what i want for my birthday and i think one of these will come in handy

cheers

Unless you pay for a good glass filter, the 10 stop ND filters all cause colour casts on the images that cannot be removed with colour balancing due to infra red contamination.

Well, if you're talking the likes of B+W, they're triple the price, at least

Same company, 52mm, bit cheaper which is nice: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ND-1000-stop-52mm-Filter/dp/B00DHGZDCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410556499&sr=8-3&keywords=10 stop filter 52mm

Some say there's a red cast, so you might want to do some more research on post processing for it

sorry mate

do you mean this isnt good for b&w?

B+W are known to be one of the best, they're a company that make filter, I didn't mean for B&W photography :)

B+W filters are expensive, but for good reason.

Last edited:
When you do, let us know how you get on with it :)

Was pondering one myself only recently in 67mm, for my siggy 35

The Lee 0.9 ProGlass ND filters are good as they have UV and IR coatings but are only 3 stop ND filters. Heliopan ND filters also get good reviews but these are screw in only. However, all these are probably over budget sorry. :(

gaz, you seem to know your filters, would you say B+W were decent?

B+W are known to be one of the best, they're a company that make filter, I didn't mean for B&W photography :)

B+W filters are expensive, but for good reason.

I actually think B+W ND filters are renown for their terrible IR contamination so probably not the best choice. B+W (Schnieder) do make good filters but I'd look at Heliopan of something with a IR cut coating on these higher density filters.

Last edited:
I actually think B+W ND filters are renown for their terrible IR contamination so probably not the best choice.

AH ok cheers. But for casual use? I reckon I'd only make use of one here and there, hence why I don't already own one I guess.

I used the Dorr screw in type until I dropped it into lady bower reservoir. But now use the hi tech system. Very good but not cheap!

AH ok cheers. But for casual use? I reckon I'd only make use of one here and there, hence why I don't already own one I guess.

I'm the same and always wanted to own one for casual use but after some research I thought it a waste of money. Some love the skewed colours the Big stopper etc produce but I'm not one for the blue cold cast. It seems to get a neutral filter you either buy an expensive one with IR cut or a cheaper, optically good one and use an additional IR cut filter (2 filters).

A poster above mentioned the Haida ProII IRND filters that I have seen tests of that produce good results and are less expensive but have no idea where to buy these from where as LEE and Heliopan are easier to source.

Last edited:
I'm the same and always wanted to own one for casual use but after some research I thought it a waste of money. Some love the skewed colours the Big stopper etc produce but I'm not one for the blue cold cast. It seems to get a neutral filter you either buy an expensive one with IR cut or a cheaper, optically good one and use an additional IR cut filter (2 filters).

A poster above mentioned the Haida ProII IRND filters that I have seen tests of that produce good results and are less expensive but have no idea where to buy these from where as LEE and Heliopan are easier to source.
haida ebay link above.. got all mine from there no issues

just looked and shamefully i have no images online taken using it to put up an example but looking at the raw files i have on my hard drive theres no obvious cast when ive used it ( a degree or two cooler maybe but a 2 second adjustment in post on wb to warm it up ) but then ive only shot with it on overcast cooler days anyway. will do a test shot tomorrow and put it up

Another vote for the Haida Pro filters here (y)

here ya go very boring shots i know just taken outside quickly and SOOC and converted to jpg
shot with canon 10-18 STM lens ISO 100 F/22 for maxium exposure time to give you an idea ( 25 seconds )
no colour correction done. you can see some blurring in the tree on the right ( a little windy so blurry leaves and the clouds were moving so you get some of that blur too. but main thing is the colour cast which is pretty much non existent.
15038273537_2d862c5fc8_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've been wanting the big stopper for ages but can't justify the cost of the Lee system... yet. From what people have said I might go for that Haida for my tamron 17-50. Thanks for posting the link and photo (y)

quick 1 stop alter in ACR so you can better see colour cast ( or lack of )

Thanks for the image - I'd be interested to know if you set your camera to AWB or did you fix the WB to daylight as the greens still look very cool to my eyes?

i had WB on auto in camera and havent made any adjustments in ACR or PP. my guess is there is a tiny amount of coolness but at a level that if you were shooting water shots you wouldnt notice or if you used a manual or preset WB it would be fine.. ceertainly the colour cast is very minimal. stupidly i didnt take a shot without the filter to compare lol

i had WB on auto in camera and havent made any adjustments in ACR or PP. my guess is there is a tiny amount of coolness but at a level that if you were shooting water shots you wouldnt notice or if you used a manual or preset WB it would be fine.. ceertainly the colour cast is very minimal. stupidly i didnt take a shot without the filter to compare lol

What is the WB in ACR of this image?

Any chance you could post a 5500K version?

Surprised Phil young hasn't been by yet recommending the camdiox 10 stop filter. Available from srb. I got one after his recommendation. Cheap and good quality. I seem to recall it comparing very well to the b&w (equal if not better) in the review he quoted.

I've been using Haidas for about 2-3 years and recommend them highly......I would also recommend getting the biggest size you can afford and buy step down rings. I'm guessing if you are after you 52mm you are using a kit lens? If you go for the biggest you can afford you'll be able to use the same filter on other lenses if and when you upgrade lenses. I'd recommend 77mm if possible as most common ultra wide angle lenses are that size.

here we go . 5500 +.50 exposure adjustment in ACR.. everything else unadjusted and all on 0.

Thanks for the image. It doesn't look anywhere near as blue as the LEE Big Stopper. Might have to buy one for myself and run some tests.

Greens are the colour that are effected the worst as they absorb the most IR light.

Back