17-55mm f2.8 vs L glass

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've ordered the 17-55mm f2.8 with a 7D mkii because the only thing I have of that focal length is the old 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS.

Since making the order it's been playing on my mind that for the roughly £600 that lens costs there's L glass available like the 24-70.

I've read about the 17-55 being great quality and just not branded with the L stamp & obviously with the cheaper build of standard lenses, but have any of you actually used it?

I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to trade in the brand new lens at LCE or similar and pick up something nicer for similar money on the used market. Any recommendations?

The Canon 17-55mm is a great little lens,i wouldn't worry to much about it not being an L lens,put on the front of your 7D and enjoy :)

tamron equivilent if you wanted to swap to something cheaper
24-105 l isn't that special

It's the right lens if you want a fast std zoom. As others have said, there's no L equivalent, IMO the 24-70 is weird on a crop body (though some find it ok).

Don't get hung up on the lack of L designation, it's not the best lens I have, but neither is it particularly lacking. 3rd party equivalents are quite sharp but none of them have the great focus motor too. But it depends on your priorities.

Great thanks guys, I think it's a good focal range to have a quality lens for.

Most of what I shoot at the moment is motor sport with a 70-200 f4L so it's probably wise to have a quick, wide lens for when I want to shoot landscapes or 'normal' things.

Cant comment on comparison to an L lens, but the 17-55 produces genuinely stunning image quality. Build quality is terrible though.

Not every lens needs to be designated with L on it to be able to turn out perfectly sharp images!
There is lots of good glass out there which isn't Camera manufacturers glass.
I think you have made the right choice and you shouldn't be doubting it before you have even used it.
And other members here have stated having L on it doesn't mean it's gonna give a stellar performance.
I would just enjoy your new gear when it arrives and I will look forward to seeing your work.

Cant comment on comparison to an L lens, but the 17-55 produces genuinely stunning image quality. Build quality is terrible though.

I always question when people complain about build quality on things like this... What exactly is bad about the build quality? Have bits fallen off yours? Do switches stop working after a while or are there bits that wobble or something?

Mine suffered from terrible lens creep even at the slightest of angles (a common issue I believe) . The whole thing felt incredibly loose and not well put together at all. In comparison the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 felt solid as a rock.

Back