1st Attempt at BW images of Buildings

not bad with loads of mystery there Richard,...a bit dark but that was your intention i think?

take out any signs and items which are 'modern' or otherwise detracting..

cheers
geoff

I like the atmosphere in no.1, but would have preferred the verticals a little closer to perfect - the front door (focal point) is on the slant, and that makes it look like it was just not shot straight. Unless you intended it as a jarring element, if there's enough space around the image, just a little rotation would fix that.

These are very flat, where are the clean whites? I don't think the toning helps, as you have toned the 'paper' as well as the greys.

I think what he's trying to say is that b&w pictures, even when toned, benefit from having some areas which are actually black and white, not just all being shades of brown or grey.

How did you do the conversion and toning?

I like #1, btw, but I agree with horrocks' comments and if it were me I'd clone out the modern details on the lamppost.

These are very flat, where are the clean whites? I don't think the toning helps, as you have toned the 'paper' as well as the greys.

I think what he's trying to say is that b&w pictures, even when toned, benefit from having some areas which are actually black and white, not just all being shades of brown or grey.

How did you do the conversion and toning?

I like #1, btw, but I agree with horrocks' comments and if it were me I'd clone out the modern details on the lamppost.

Thanks for all the ffedback, I will bear these in mind for future BW images.

To answer above comment I used photoshop elements 11 and adjusted the saturation in Nikon Raw image programme and then using various changes within Photoshop. I follow advice from a photo magazine rather than just using the converting tool.

In answer to the image not being straight the building in question actually has a scewed doorway and the image was taken using a tripod set level.

Thanks once again for viewing and offering tips to improve.

Back