Beginner 1st attempt

swamptart

Suspended / Banned
Name
paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm doing a beginners course at a local collage and this my attempt, A portrait of a mate.

Last edited:
Like this a lot good attempt but think the dof is slightly too shallow.

Yes :agree: a slightly smaller aperture would have put both eyes in focus, a must when photographing people

Les ;)

Thanks, yep your right about dop, and I think his ear looks a bit weird being out of focus.

Contrast is good, exposure is good, placing of subject and pose is very good. You have also found a background which is not distracting. I would change the proportions slightly by cutting off half of the dead space above the head.

I agree with the others that the focus is too shallow. I would like to see nose to eyes sharp as a minimum. If this brings the background into focus you should move the subject further away from it.

Very good photo, you should be happy with it!

great first attempt, i love the use of light and dept of field. as long as the eyes are in focus on a portrait it's halfway to being an acceptable photo. this is just my opinion but if you could have found a cleaner background instead of the poles shooting out of his head then this would be a smashing first attempt. May i ask why you chose b&w post processing?

a must when photographing people

Les ;)

Really? An absolute must? That renders a lot of my favourite images by others and some of my own images useless then.

This looks very good indeed to me and I would be happy with it now, never mind for my first portrait.

Really? An absolute must? That renders a lot of my favourite images by others and some of my own images useless then.

This looks very good indeed to me and I would be happy with it now, never mind for my first portrait.

Let me re-phrase that, It is preferable to have the eyes i focus - particularly with a face on shot

Happy Now Gareth :exit::D

Back