1st Macro - help please

Edit My Images
Yes
not sure if this should go here or not, but.

Just wanted your opinion on these, all completely untouched, sorry for the jpeg on the lappy as other comp is packed still, nothing on here but basic photo viewer, not the best i know but first time on full manual, also first macro, so steep learning curve.

so using D5100 - 36mm ext tube on sigma 70-200 2.8 non OS, this tube doesn't support anything on my body, so had to wedge the Aperture wide open to get enough light to do anything.

what i would like to know, are these all sort due to expecting to much from the lens and body ? or are they just plain old missed focus ?

macro spider 2nd 009 by wayne scott1, on Flickr

macro spider 2nd 008 by wayne scott1, on Flickr

macro spider 2nd 007 by wayne scott1, on Flickr

couple others here https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXcQNM9

if its a missed focus thing, then i can just keep trying, but if its trying to work and the extreme for the lens, then at least i know back to the drawing board :)

thanks

Last edited:
sorry cant get them to show :(

Looks like you have missed focus. If lens is wide open f2.8 then your depth of field is tiny. I can see on #2 that part of the link is indeed in focus and sharp.

Hopefully our Nikon friends can help out with setting aperture prior to removal so it doesnt revert back to f2.8.

For this you need to look at f11 and above. Also to show pics here use the bbcode from flickr.

Hi Wayne welcome to the macro mob - all barking in this section (well I am) - and totally addicted so you can learn a lot (but not from me as I'm a newbie at the 'little creatures') - I hope someone will come along soon with a bit more help than I've been (y)

Got to admit, been a frustrating day, only reason was to see if I could work the extension tubes.

It wasn't until the other half came out and asked if I was 'giving it a rest' that i noticed 6 hours had vanished. :)

also this one first thing today, cant remember what lens/ext combination.

first macro 014 by wayne scott1, on Flickr

The hairs on the near side of the thorax look like they are in focus to me, and things nearer and further away are not in focus, which would make the issue narrow depth of field I think. So I agree with Bryn - assuming you are using f/2.8 at the moment, you will need to use a smaller aperture to get greater depth of field (or capture the image from further away and crop).

There are debates about how much smaller an aperture is sensible. You'll need to experiment to find out what range of apertures suit your visual preferences and your subjects. Before that though of course you'll need to work out how to set the aperture with the kit you are using, or indeed if it possible. I'm afraid I can't help with that.

Do you have a shorter focal length lens? If so, have you tried it with your extension tubes? I think you get more magnification but shorter working distances when using extension tubes on shorter focal length lenses.

If it turns out you can't change the aperture with those extension tubes then we can talk about the alternatives; there are several.

Got to admit, been a frustrating day, only reason was to see if I could work the extension tubes.

It wasn't until the other half came out and asked if I was 'giving it a rest' that i noticed 6 hours had vanished. :)

Bee image seems to be same issue not enough dof. With your lens you are going to need speeds of 1/200s for a chance of hand held for the moment until you get your eye in and comfort with camera.

Google nikon reverse lens how to set aperture.

Thanks all for the help, i tried again early morning, and found the same such issues.

So i solved the problem, i went and bought a sigma 105mm os, what a lens, all i can say.

and low and behold, another day vanished, really should have been warned about this Bermuda Triangle of time :p

any way, ill start some other threads with hopefully better offerings.

Thanks all for the help, i tried again early morning, and found the same such issues.

So i solved the problem, i went and bought a sigma 105mm os, what a lens, all i can say.

and low and behold, another day vanished, really should have been warned about this Bermuda Triangle of time :p

any way, ill start some other threads with hopefully better offerings.

GAS attack!!! Sure you will love the lens :D

Sure you could have worked with other set up.

GAS attack!!! Sure you will love the lens :D

Sure you could have worked with other set up.

Yes you are right, but I have been to and throwing between the siggy and a nikon 85 1.8 for months now, well put it this way, the funds were a christmas bonus, after this morning decision was made. :)

I'm still going to play with the tubes, seemed a bit more satisfying actually getting a keeper

Back