1st (proper attempt) at Star Trails

That look like a nice first attempt though there is a lot of noise in the shadow areas of the tree and ground, and also some really dodgy masking on the ground below the bottom of the tree, what have you painted out?

What were your individual frame settings?

Matt
MWHCVT

I just quickly tried to mask the bottom to a flat black. Looks OK on my screen so maybe not as uniform as it appears to me if you can see that on your screen :~

Setting were - 10mm, ISO 800, f7.1 and 30 sec exposure.

Hi Paul, i really like the silhouette. How do you think it would look if you lightened the sky some more to emphasise the tree silhouette?

I sympathise with the cloud problem, clear skies are a rarity here in wales.

I just quickly tried to mask the bottom to a flat black. Looks OK on my screen so maybe not as uniform as it appears to me if you can see that on your screen :~

Setting were - 10mm, ISO 800, f7.1 and 30 sec exposure.

I have re-calibrated my screen again today, I've been having issues with it for the last week, and it's not no where near as clearly visible as it was but you can still make it out, though maybe that is because I know it there :wacky:

From those settings I would suggest opening up a little wider will pick up more of the dimmer stars (y)

Matt

Thanks for the comments and hints. I really want to get a nice shot using this technique. I got this in a field near to a place called Goodrich Castle in Herefordshire, shi**ing myself in a field at midnight when on hols in Forest of Dean last week.

Back in plain old Doncaster now so will have to be a bit more imaginative (and patient with the weather now - it was glorious last week!)

Back