1st step to macro

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
I am interested in macro, it fascinates me with the details you see on insects
and whatever at such close quarters. So the 1st step, is it to go and get a raynox as this is the cheapest 1st option or is there another option.
As anyway funds won't allow for a nice bit of glass.
Your views please kind people.

I started out with a Raynox and was very happy with it and still use it in conjunction with my extension tubes and macro lens. I also liked the convenience of it as it fits onto a lot of lenses and clips on and off very quickly in relation to messing around with tubes.

As an alternative to the Reynox you could look at extention tubes or as macro is usually manual focus you could look at a legacy macro lens and adapter.

If you are going to be photographing live insects you may want to go for a long lens as with the Reynox or something like a 50mm macro you're going to have to be pretty close and a longer lens and a greater working distance may mean that there's less chance of frightening the subject away.

As a first step I'd either say a Raynox, or if you already have a 50mm, get a reversing ring from ebay or some such - do a bit of googling you'll be amazed with what can be done with a reversed 50!

Thanks for the replys folks, yeah im sure ill try a longer lens (70-300) for some critters as they are a little scary to me, im talking about scorpions or those large ants (im not in the UK) so would be a good idea.
Alan, what is a legacy macro lens and adapter ? I have some Tubes but to be honest i think they are too cheap for thier own good but ill need to have a play with them more to find out.

Alan, what is a legacy macro lens and adapter ? I have some Tubes but to be honest i think they are too cheap for thier own good but ill need to have a play with them more to find out.

Ah, I meant an old manual lens from years ago and an adapter to enable you to use it on your camera.

I bought an old manual Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro and I'm very happy with it and use it on my Panasonic G1 and Sony A7. It's a true macro and gives 1:1 and optically I just can't fault it and it's no hassle that it's a manual lens as most macro shooting is (usually) manual focus anyway.

If you have a look at some dealers web sites or ebay you may spot a bargain old manual focus macro lens and adapters are readily available too. For example I paid £5 for an Olympus OM to Canon eos adapter.

Last edited:
Well, Raynox, reversing and tubes get you closer - you'll want to check the various MFD (minimum focus distances) of lenses - Canon have the 100mm and 180mm macros - I think Sigma do a 180mm - but although they're relatively cheap we are into actual real money territory.

To be honest unless someone else comes up with a better idea your 300mm with tubes to reduce the MFD may be the best option for now. Also it depends on what your idea of macro is - I know technically its anything 1:1, but for me macro is getting at the real detail - like seeing the eyes of a fly, so again it depends what you're after.

Take a look here for some MFD and ratio info - the one I call macro is the MP-E 65 (its 5:1), most macros are 1:1

Oh and a big thank you - searching the net for answers for you has caused me to stumble upon this site - Extreme Macro and at first glance it looks its worth having a good dig around :D

Thanks again for the replys. I'll forget that 5:1 mpe-65, that's way out of my league. I have a old Nikon 50mm and with the tubes its ok but far from perfect, with 70-300 I had no chance as I can't change anything except focus. I had a go with a jumper today and although 90% of the spider was in focus all around wasn't so I got lots to learn. I will buy a raynox 250 in the next week or so.

I almost never get everything in focus - just try to get the import bits and you're good.

The 65 is a beast, the usable focus distance at x5 is well under 1mm, so a lot of people focus stack - not something I ever got into and while I know how its done I've no idea how they get their subjects to stay still long enough!

Anyway have a poke round that site I linked earlier - its all about macro without breaking the bank.

The great thing about a Raynox is that you keep autofocus and in-camera aperture. Might be better off starting with a 150 though...

Why a 150 ? Does it have less magnification?

I use a 70-300 at a DCR-250. Takes a bit of practice but you get got results after a while

Well thats my Raynox 250 ordered, ill take a chance on this one as was advised to get the 150. :eek::whistle:

You'll be fine. It's more magnification so slightly harder at first, that's all.

Well thats my Raynox 250 ordered, ill take a chance on this one as was advised to get the 150. :eek::whistle:

I had one - it was a great first step - have fun :D

Thanks all. Should be here next week so I can't wait.

Back