2 hours and I finally got it!!!

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw that a storm was brewing tonight so set my self up under my gazebo and got my self ready to try and shoot some lightning. Now to be honest I have never done this before and to be frank i'm not really after any critique for I sat out there for two hours and at one point i nearly launched my camera across the garden. I cant believe how frustrating it was to try and capture these things? They seem to always appear when the camera was writing itself to my CF card and so I always bloody missed them!!
After nearly giving up i Finally got lucky and came out with these two. Again im just so pleased to have actually captured them and wanted to show you guys regardless of how poor they are.
Thanks

light1 (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

light (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

Well done! I gave up fairly quickly.

Wish I'd had the patience and a gazebo :)

It is safe to say i was rather pleased and even had to wake the wife up to show her!! She was not impressed!

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't end up looking for your camera with an endoscope in A&E

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't end up looking for your camera with an endoscope in A&E

Yep!! considering she is also pregnant and 6 days over her due date!! :exit:

Yep!! considering she is also pregnant and 6 days over her due date!! :exit:

I'm staggered you're still breathing!! :LOL:
Well done on the lightning though!

"While the camera was writing itself to my CF card"? Are you sure it was doing the writing rather than applying long exposure noise reduction?

Good captures though but I wonder how much protection a gazebo gives against a bolt of lightning...

"While the camera was writing itself to my CF card"? Are you sure it was doing the writing rather than applying long exposure noise reduction?

Good captures though but I wonder how much protection a gazebo gives against a bolt of lightning...
There is always someone!!:rolleyes:

I see you're shooting with a Canon in your avatar. In Magic Lantern there is a setting that tells the camera to take a shot when there is an exposure change, you can set the sensitivity of it so I prsume it would work quite well for lightening?

I keep looking at magic lantern but not to sure! Have u got it?

I see you're shooting with a Canon in your avatar. In Magic Lantern there is a setting that tells the camera to take a shot when there is an exposure change, you can set the sensitivity of it so I prsume it would work quite well for lightening?

The thing with the motion sensor with magic lantern, even if you set the sensitivity really high for exposure change the delay of the shutter action will still miss the lightning.

If you plan on using Magic Lantern for lightning your best bet is to set the intervalometer and just leave the camera shooting long exposures one after another, after another, etc. It's just like shooting star trails. That way if there is any lightning you know you have caught it. Also if you have got multiple shots of lightning and you had your camera on a tripod and set to the same place, you could then blend the multiple shots together and have lots of lightining :D

I use Magic Lantern on my 550D and it's a great piece of software. I have the 70D as my main camera but ML haven't released any software for it so I still use my 550D more than I thought I would. The ML team even managed to increase the dynamic range of the 5D mkiii. Canon should be ashamed of themselves lol

Rant over...Good shot by the way, love the colour. Sadly I slept through both nights of lightning storms haha.

Thanks Cave dweller, saves me trying to use it when I'd have the rare opportunity and being disappointed.

And yes Bobby I have got it. You should get it and have a play, it's free and has some very useful features, you certainly won't use them all but there will be some that you really like.

2 that I found recently are quick delete, makes in camera deleting a lot quicker and easier and also the ability to set the focus points in groups instead of just one point or automatic all points. The intervalometer is useful aswell.

Back