2 x Teleplus Pro 300 Kenko N-AF DG

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry guys & Dolls I also have a 2 x Teleplus Pro 300 Kenko N-AF DG ( not a DGX) would this work on a Nikon D3300 & Nikon,70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR

Again Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The short answer is no, it won't.

The long answer is that yes it will physically fit but it won't autofocus, the image quality will be shocking and you're looking a a minimum of f/11 at the long end.

I'm now confused,

Taken from Kenko Web site,
The DGX Teleplus converters have updated circuitry to record exif data more accurately. In the exif exposure data (meta-data recorded with a digital picture) DGX converters record the equivalent aperture and focal length of the lens setting plus tele-converter. Optically and mechanically they are the identical to the prior high-quality DG series converters.

I was under the impression that autofocus would work but not all the EXIF would be recorded.

Afraid not, the autofocus won't work - the exif data will probably be recoded fine.

The reason the AF won't work is that the addition of a 2xTC not only doubles the focal length but it also adds two stops to the minimum aperture (to that's f/11 at the max zoom) - the camera's AF system simply can't cope with that. That's assuming the camera can talk to the lens through the TC, which isn't a certainty with consumer lenses.

I repeat also, the image quality will be shocking.

Ok Thanks, it's just I have one sitting in the bag and did'nt what to have to get rid of yet :) when upgrading to the D3300

Waste not want not.

if it has no chip in it, and its a passthrough, the AF will try to work, but it wont be great by any means
huntorama

AF tends to be retained up to f5.6

2X converters tend to be used on f2.8 lenses

Some cameras like Canon 1D models will retain AF at f8 (centre point) allowing a 2X converter to be used on f4 lenses.

For cameras that don't offer f8 AF - that's the reason 1.4X converters are often used with f4 lenses

Last edited:
Cheers Guys, I'll keep it in my bag just incase & use it as a manual if needed.

Back