Critique 2016 MSA British Rally Championship - Mid Wales Stages Rally.

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
I was dispatched to Wales this weekend for a website I shoot GT racing for to shoot the Mid Wales Stages Rally from public areas, (MSA rules mean I don't qualify for a media pass). Here are selection of images from the three stages I covered and the service park.

1}

Mid Wales Stages 2016
by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

One of the hero cars of the BRC, the Simpson Skoda Motorsport Fabia R5 was one of my early targets. I got this shot in the service park after a chat with the team. It would have been nice to see the car do better but just hearing it on the stages was good enough.

2)

Mid Wales Stages 2016

What should have been a failed shot because I snapped too quick and the flash didn't fire, I actually like the effect. Its also a Vauxhall Adam R2 so I'm going to like it, I own an Adam Jam.

3)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
R5 cars are four wheel drive but to watch them through Pikes Peak you would think they were rear drive only.

4)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
A young man with a massive weight on his shoulders. Max Vatenen is worthy of his sirname if his performance on the Mid Wales is anything to go by.

5)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
I thought the MSA were being overly cautious until I saw these two idiots. I also quite liked the Mitsubishi R5, though it isn't an Evo by any stretch.

6)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
There is a rally car in there somwhere. I could get the perfect placement for a good sweeping left hander on Pikes Peak but it did put me a touch too close for the Turbines. I could have used an extra body with something 100mm ish on it rather than the 120-400.

7)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
The mind boggles when you see the speed that rally cars carry over changes to terrain and through close objects.

8)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
Any higher and Elfyn Evans would need a pilots licence. Tricky conditions though as it was deciding if it wanted to snow or not. It did soon after, bloody heck it was cold.

9)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
The conditions worsened after the top runners came through SS5 leaving visibility poor. I think that Ollie Mellors took more speed through the first jump at the Sweet Lamb Bowl than he planned because he really struggled to slow the car for the hairpin.

10)

Mid Wales Stages 2016
One last Adam shot, sorry I have to. This is how you make a grown Adam owner wince. I'm guessing Tesco is closing soon because he is in one heck of a hurry.

The MSA Media pass doesn't give you any advantage on an event such as this.
There were several areas on Pikes Peak that were spectator red zones, I also understand from the marshals that media were allowed on Pikes Peak on Saturday night while spectators were banned.

Red Zones were in the hairpins on Pikes Peak by the start, basically anywhere you could get a good panning shot from! Spectators were restricted to looking down and quite far back. I gave it a miss and went looking for the turbines, (as you can see.)

Never saw any and didn't have any issues shooting wherever i wanted to. I covered the whole stage from start to finish (or vice versa). In fact we were amazed at how few marshal posts there were and how free we were to move around. I stood on the inside at the top of the chicane with a few of the media togs with no issues. Perhaps you were a little too cautious?

Thank you guys.

minnit, Perhaps I was a little too cautious. It was only my second proper rally so I tried to stick to the rules. Also the challenge that my website set me was to shoot from public areas so I didn't want to stray into forbidden territory.

Back