23RD AUG: Vulcan Air to Air

Name
Lloyd Horgan
Edit My Images
Yes
So finally after cancellations and plans falling through we managed to get the formation with the Vulcan as it routed to Dunsfold for its display. The original plan was for me to be in the front seat of the Eagle with Ben but the decision was made between us to use a camera ship to capture images of G-KLAW in formation with the Vulcan, a fairly unique shot. That meant the front seat in the Eagle would now be free and the decision was left to me as to who would fill it, as Ben would be flying full throttle it meant it had to be someone who was pretty light and not too tall. So that kind of limited options, and in the end Ben Allen got the seat (not a bad first flight!) although I would've loved to have had as many friends along for the ride it just couldn't be, sadly.

The Vulcan appeared from the North and made its way towards us over Pitsford reservoir where we then dived down from 3000ft to 2000ft so Ben could maintain a solid airspeed to keep in formation with the Vulcan, almost straight away it became apparent that Ben was struggling to keep so Kev Rumens performed some slowly banks zig zagging so we could cut the corners essentially, we had about 10 minutes of playtime but it seemed to be over in a blink of an eye. But nevertheless it will be something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Avro Vulcan XH558 & Christen Eagle II by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Avro Vulcan XH558 & Christen Eagle II G-KLAW by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Avro Vulcan XH558 G-VLCN by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Avro Vulcan XH558 & Christen Eagle II G-KLAW by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Avro Vulcan XH558 by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Avro Vulcan XH558 by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, it was an incredibly difficult A2A sortie given the struggle with airspeeds and short amount of time but hopefully I got a few unique images of a formation which is different to the norm.

It's hard to write anything nice about these shots, when I'm so goddam jealous!

Cracking set. Love number 3 those wings are immense

Fantastic set - absolutely brilliant ! I keep reading that this will be the last flight etc etc . I hope not. I saw this Vulcan in Bruntingthorpe (I think) a few years ago. It's an impressive aircraft. Really nice photography and great PP.

Fantastic opportunity and quality set.
#2 with the lovely cloudscape does it for me (y)
Clive

Did you charter the photoship?

Nice photos BTW - I did my first A2A yesterday, can't say it was exciting as this though, haha.

Nope!

Fantastic set - absolutely brilliant ! I keep reading that this will be the last flight etc etc . I hope not. I saw this Vulcan in Bruntingthorpe (I think) a few years ago. It's an impressive aircraft. Really nice photography and great PP.
It'll be flying in to 2015 but that will be the last year as it stands.

Thanks everyone! :)

Really nice shots. I like No 1 because it's more dramatic.
I'm no expert, but from the angle of attack that Vulcan must have been near stalling to fly slow enough for the others to keep up!?
Well I say I'm no expert but I was flying Vulcans when I was eight!

BomberJnr_03 by RWalton65, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back