3 legged dog thread

Name
Lynda
Edit My Images
Yes
A little while ago I posted some pics of our lurcher pup. Unfortunately she broke her leg on Friday 13th (great day!) and had to have the leg amputated. This is her less than 24 hours after the operation.

Up and wanting to go for a walk with the other dog.

The leg she broke had been damaged at 3 weeks (the breeder didn't realise how bad) and never developed properly so when she took a tumble in long grass and puddles it gave in under the pressure. The vet advised that the best thing would be to take it off.

She was only using it about 90% of the time and it shows as she's up on 3 legs already and wanting to play with other dogs.

I haven't had a chance to take any ok photos since we took the bandage off but I will keep adding to the thread to show her progress. More as a challenge to me than anything.

So this is my new tripod. If anyone else has a 3 legger I'd love to see your photos and hear how they are coping.

L:)

d023d4c8.jpg

Awww, looks like she's doing well. It's really amazing how well they adapt.

We lost our first dog, a boxer/border collie called Tilly, to cancer. A year earlier she had to have her front right leg amputated including the scapula/shoulder - little did we know it was the start of it. We didn't get much advice from the vet other than don't let her get fat. The only real problem we had was early on she had 'phantom leg syndrome' or something which really worried her. The vet gave her an injection to settle her down.
The whole village got to hear about her and we'd get strangers coming up telling us they'd heard from their neighbour/etc. Small children would ask why she'd "only got one leg"! She loved all the attention - and I guess so did we in a way.

You've probably been looking up about 3-legged dogs, but we've got some photos and video: my favourite video, the album.

She'll probably tell you how far she wants to walk, but obviously short to start with so she can build up the muscles gradually in the remaining front - we used the local green about 100yards a way as a good measure. Later she managed the park twice a day which was 1 - 2 miles - which we thought wasn't bad for a 10yr old in the circumstances. Being so deep in the chest, from the Boxer build, meant she carried a lot of weight on her front legs. Lighter builds do better apparently. We had contact with a chap with a 3-leg Collie who being lighter build and younger still ran rings round him. So I imagine your pup wont have much trouble once she's over the worst.

Aw bless. Lovely looking dog. The vid of it splashing in the sea is great

Oh bless her heart.
For saying it's so soon after her surgery, she certainly looks bright eyed and bushy tailed!
Give her a tummy tickle from me.

She's a beauty - good to hear she's coping well.

I've 3 dogs with 12 legs between them so can't offer much regarding 3 legged dogs but I do have two friends who both have 3 legged dogs and they manage just as well as their 4 legged counterparts.

Somewhere (I'll try and find it for you) on the web is a dog with just one front leg and one back leg and even that one whizzes about just fine. There's another with just two back legs and that one walks about upright. Amazing animals.

Last edited:
Fab, glad she is going well. My friend has a tripod doggy after he got a tumor on him foot and they decided to amputate. Adapted well and is still as giddy as can be!

The only thing that cnofused him at first was the leaning when having a pee :) he got there though and can go either way now!

Thanks guys. Not been great weather for getting another pic of her.

I thought there may have been more members with 3 leggers :shrug:

No the weather has been a shocker hasn't it.
How's she doing a week on?

Hi I had a 3 legged dog for nearly 13 years. She was a small collie and still had a badly damaged front leg when we took her on. She only weighted 5 kilos and was in such poor condition we had to wait a month before they could operate and when they did the shoulder joint was retained to help with balance.
Fly was a remarkable dog in every way and even though it's 4 years since she died there is still a lump in my throat when I write this. I've loads of pics but can't put any here right now as I have to go out, but I'll happily answer any questions about caring for a 3 legger. The most important thing is to give them the best possible life as though they still have all their legs but never forget that having only 3 places massive pressures on the remaining legs, spine etc.

I'll be back over the weekend maybe:)
All the best to you and your girl.

Caroline

I love your new tripod!!! :love:
she looks a little darling and I'm really looking forward to hearing all about her new life
x

Well, she's spent the night curled up with us on the settee again (not much change from 4 legs). Will try to take some photos some rain or shine tomorrow.
I think that she's realised that she's a little bit poorly this week lol.

I love your new tripod!!! :love:
she looks a little darling and I'm really looking forward to hearing all about her new life
x

Same.

Little update. It was quite pleasant this morning so took the P&S. Still quite hard to keep her still for the camera but here's a few so you can see how she's doing.

Waiting for treats.
9e90d55a.jpg

Putting this on as I quite like the shadow, although the wee bit of swelling she has around the stitching is making her ribcage a strange shape ...
59acbd50.jpg

Chilling out after her exercise.
365c4b07.jpg

:)

bless her, she looks like she's made a good recovery :)
I adore that twinkle in her eyes on her walk
x

ahh what a sweetie, I love lurchers x

we were at the vet today with Jess, she has a large lump on her elbow which we were told is a tumour :( it will be removed under ga on Thurs. If it grows back they would normally amputate (it was given as an option) but she is 13, arthritic and overweight by 3kilos, so that's not an option really, it would be cruel to put her through that, her joints would never cope. So just hope they can get it all out on Thursday *fingers crossed*

Thanks.

Summer, I hope everything goes will with the op. Keep us posted. :)

I will Loopy, and I recognise where you are, my sister lives there too :)

Jess had her lump removed thurs, she was quite ill yesterday but back to normal now lol. Vet says it wasn't benign but because of her age and arthritis we just have to wait and see what happens. If it comes back there's nothing more to do :-( so we can only make sure she has more fun every day :) bless her heart x

Jess had her lump removed thurs, she was quite ill yesterday but back to normal now lol. Vet says it wasn't benign but because of her age and arthritis we just have to wait and see what happens. If it comes back there's nothing more to do :-( so we can only make sure she has more fun every day :) bless her heart x

Glad there were no complications. Hope she's ok. :)

thanks Loopy, I think the Tramadol weren't agreeing with her, made her 'high' and with added munchies d'oh. How is your baby doing now?

She's doing great. Made a new friend this week and had to stop them wrecking my friends house.

1b32ba87.jpg

And this is tonight - poor photo but you can see in the shadow, only 1 foot on the ground lol

07e6e88d.jpg

I am constantly amazed by animals' abilities to adapt. It's a pity it couldn't be bottled and given to us. :)

Awww..bless! :love:
Looks like she's coping fine!

Our old lurcher finally left us at 18 a few years ago, yes..18!! :cool:
Wonderful old boy and the reason for losing him was that he got up put of his bed one night and snapped his leg. Horrible, I heard the crack. :crying:
Rang the vets there and then and they said to keep him stable and bring him in first thing.
18 years old and 3 working legs but he STILL thought he was going out for his morning walk! :crying:
Broke my heart taking him in but as I say to others "if you can't accept that part of pet ownership then don't own one".

Got a retired greyhound now, a total dimwit but such a lovely dog.

but as I say to others "if you can't accept that part of pet ownership then don't own one".

Got a retired greyhound now, a total dimwit but such a lovely dog.

It's so true. We 'lost' our 14 year old a couple of years ago and it was one of the hardest things to do, but the right time had come. Got another 14 year old now s well as the pup and I reckon she has few good years in her still. It would be so easy if they could just go in their sleep but life is never that easy.

I think it's the greyhound in ours that gives her that special 'character' :D

Lovely dog with some nice shots. Hope she gets well and has a great life.

18 years old and 3 working legs but he STILL thought he was going out for his morning walk!

this is the hard part - they look so happy and alert and pain free but you have to be strong. Not sure I am but I have a very strong pragmatic streak.

Loopy your baby is certainly coping wonderfully x

I am constantly amazed by animals' abilities to adapt. It's a pity it couldn't be bottled and given to us. :)

Believe it or not I saw a video a while back of a two legged dog. Absolutely unbelievable.

Great to see dog lovers here :)

Al

I was watching video of a collie with front 2 legs deformed using a 'wheelchair' - looked great

Hi I had a 3 legged dog for nearly 13 years. She was a small collie and still had a badly damaged front leg when we took her on. She only weighted 5 kilos and was in such poor condition we had to wait a month before they could operate and when they did the shoulder joint was retained to help with balance.
Fly was a remarkable dog in every way and even though it's 4 years since she died there is still a lump in my throat when I write this. I've loads of pics but can't put any here right now as I have to go out, but I'll happily answer any questions about caring for a 3 legger. The most important thing is to give them the best possible life as though they still have all their legs but never forget that having only 3 places massive pressures on the remaining legs, spine etc.

I'll be back over the weekend maybe:)
All the best to you and your girl.

Caroline

Thanks everyone.

Sorry Caroline, forgot to come back to your post. Would love to see a photo of Fly if you get a chance. Lovely to hear that she coped well after her op and for such a long time too. Thanks for the advice too. We were just talking about that this morning. (y)

Not had much weather to monitor her progress outdoors. Anyway, she is as mad as ever and if anything, loosing the leg seems to have given her a new sense of freedom as she's not got anything to hurt now. :)

ea51f3e0.jpg

This one confused me at first glance. ;)
9a90deff.jpg

It's a bit like one of those optical illusions.

Peggy my 3 legged.

She came in to rescue and on to me to foster last october, having been found with a shattered leg and pellets in that leg, it ended up being removed as it would have been to much for her to cope with having it fixed - doesn't stop her.

IMG_9187.jpg

IMG_9535.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

As you can see happy as Larry.
IMG_0504.jpg

She certainly does look a happy dog Jane. Nice to see her just getting on with it.

I have to get ours into the water soon. :)

Thanks for sharing (y)

Finally got the pup to the beach yesterday. She seemed to enjoy it :D

eb3af413.jpg

a9ddd8c6.jpg

Excellent! as you say she probably doesn't hurt now, and much happier for it. Soo good to see :)

Thought I'd add a couple more not so photogenic ones ;)

0b25c0c4.jpg

37744f7a.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Back