500mm. Canon v Sigma

Getting the siggy on loan in December for a review, will find out then :)

Given both of them being the f/4.5 versions, I'd go for the Sigma every time - especially if it's the DG version.

Firstly it's newer tech and the lens will be much younger. Secondly the IQ will be pretty much compatible (as will the AF), but the size and weight of the Sig version win by a massive margin.

Sigma v Canon f/4? Close call. The Canon is a better lens, but is it worth double the price? In my view no, unless you want to use extenders.

Canon f/4 II? Absolute no brainer.

Thanks Mark. I was worried about AF after testing few Sigmas on Birdfair. I wasn't impressed at all. I've tried 300-800mm f/5.6, 120-300mm OS "S" model and 300mm f/2.8. Then I made my way to Canon and was blown away by AF speed (and prices.LOL!) Maybe they had some poor quality display lenses.

No. You were looking at several thousand pounds worth of difference in technology.

The new long Canon lenses are indeed lightening fast in their AF (& too fast I found at times). The Sigmas are more equivalent to the last generation.
I can live with that.

Personally, I'd rule out the canon on the basis that it's generally unrepairable if anything should go wrong.

Back