500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor - Nikon body compatibility?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got my hands on a 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor-C - like this one in the picture below.

Can anybody tell me - or point me to a source that can tell me - which Nikon bodies this is compatible with? It fits on my D70, obviously, but the camera doesn't seem to know that the lens is f/8 and there's no way of telling it - so getting the exposure right involves a fair bit of guesswork. (And chimping!)

Thanks in advance.

c5008.jpg

Not my picture - linked here for information purposes. © Roland Vink

although I don't know about this specific lens, only the dx00 bodies and upwaards have functionality to be told about the apperture for non-cpu lens for Nikon

Hugh

From p. 184:
Compatible Non-CPU Lenses
Non-CPU lenses not included in the list above can be used, but only in mode
M. Aperture must be adjusted manually using the lens aperture ring and the
camera exposure meter, depth-of-fi eld preview, and i-TTL fl ash control
can not be used. If another mode is selected when a non-CPU lens is
attached, the shutter-release will be disabled.

Please forgive my ignorance of Nikon, and I think I've heard similar things before, but why should the camera need to know the lens aperture? Why can't you just set it on Aperture Priority, the camera selects the appropriate shutter speed, and away you go?

That's how it works on my Canon, with a LensBaby for example, which is 100% manual with no lens-to-camera couplings whatsoever. That works regardless of the f/number, from f/2 to f/22, set Av and the camera does the rest.

The camera only needs to know the f/number so that it can calculate shutter speeds for higher f/numbers when you stop down. No other reason, and since the mirror lens is fixed at f/8, all the exposure information the camera needs is coming through the lens in the form of an image.

:thinking:

I think this is correct

On a D200 you can specify one non-cpu lens at a time and I think the D2X and possibly the D2H is the same.
On a D300 and D700 you can input nine lenses, I think the D3 is the same.

I've got my hands on a 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor-C - like this one in the picture below.

Can anybody tell me - or point me to a source that can tell me - which Nikon bodies this is compatible with? It fits on my D70, obviously, but the camera doesn't seem to know that the lens is f/8 and there's no way of telling it - so getting the exposure right involves a fair bit of guesswork. (And chimping!)

Thanks in advance

Hi Stewart!

There is a complete chart of all Nikon camera/Nikkon lens compatabilities on the Nikon website (you have to be a member, but it's free to register), which I'm afraid that I'm not able to download and save on my PC at work :(. If you click on the 'Customer Service' tab, then go to 'Downloads', you'll see this chart in the Top 10 most popular downloads.

Link ...

I'm really sorry, I tried for 20 minutes to get it to scroll across so that I could read the details, but it kept on crashing my browser (our work PCs are utter ***** :razz:).

Still, I could definitely find both this lens and your D70 on there, so perhaps you could register with Nikon and try to download yourself :shrug:!? In your line of work, it should prove to be pretty handy :naughty:.

Good luck (y)!

Back