50mm prime on aps-c query

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Silly question I'm sure but...

On my Sony A300 what length will the sony 50mm 1.4 and the sony DT 50mm 1.8 give me? Are they different on my camera because the 1.4 can accept FF but the 1.8 is aps-c only?

To get an idea of how restrictive a sony 50 1.4 or 1.8 would be on my camera, what focal length should I set my 18-70 kit lens to? On some sites I've read its the same, i.e 50 on the kit lens, some say 75mm.

Hope this makes sense, sorry if its a stupid question! lol...

Cheers

The focal length of the lens doesn't change from camera to camera.
If you want to see what a 50mm prime will look like just set your zoom to 50mm :)

It's dependant on the cropped-sensor size. If you set your kit lens to 50mm that will show you what the 50mm prime will look like.

To be clear the focal length stays 50mm, the only thing that changes on a cropped-sensor is the field of view; i.e. on a 1.5x cropped-sensor the effective field of view would be 75mm.

Thanks.

Just a little confused though, think I meant field of view then.
The 50mm prime gives a wider view than on a aps-c camera doesnt it?

Essentially all I want to know is will both the 50 1.4 and 1.8 give me the same view as the 50 on my kit lens?

^ yes, but with better IQ.

Just a little confused though, think I meant field of view then. The 50mm prime gives a wider view than on a aps-c camera doesnt it?

Yes, on Full Frame the 50mm field of view will be wider than on a cropped-sensor camera. :)

great, thanks for clearing that up. Ill have to think of some more newbie questions...

Thanks again

Back