60007 "Sir Nigel Gresley", Grosmont

I guess the second shot works for me since there's more to look at. The first shot is alright but due to the design of the train and the surroundings, there isn't really much there other than smoke. The side shot might have been better if you had been able to go wider than 18mm to get more of the smoke over the train?

really nice shots....number 1 is well "moody"

I think mu user name will give you a clue as to why I like this loco. No 1 for me is spot on, gives a great impression of power and the steamlining the a4 class were designed with. No 2 is to messy with the background. I know the location well so I know you had no choice with that. The w/angle gives a different aspect of the loco but for me does not work. No 1 however is superb.

I've got to be honest with you, I don't know what you have done but the backgrounds look really odd.

All I have done is taken a photograph of what was there, seen through thick dark grey smoke - I think that is bound to make the backgrounds look somewhat odd. Not sure what you are inferring by "what you have done"!

In the first one you put up, I think the roller-shutter door and what appears to be the two roof lines of buildings behind it completely spoils what would otherwise be a great shot. Also the trees through the smoke up at top right and further down on the far left honestly looks to me as though it's been layered in. I know it hasn't but that's how it looks. I think you could really improve the whole look of the image no end by getting rid of these distractions.

Last edited:
Apparently not........

Feedback IS VERY MUCH appreciated!
However, I was surprised at the comment "I don't know what you have done . . . " - as I said, all I did was take photo! And artifact seemed a strange word to describe a door!
No offence was taken - I trust none was perceived to have been given

Whats the strange looking crosshatched artifacts to the right of the engine in picture one.

I think it depends on what you're viewing the photo on - as I scroll back to the top of the page on my PC, there isn't a sign of cross-hatching, although I have seen it on an iPad! (Just looked at flickr on the PC and no sign of crosshatching!)

In the first one you put up, I think the roller-shutter door and what appears to be the two roof lines of buildings behind it completely spoils what would otherwise be a great shot. Also the trees through the smoke up at top right and further down on the far left honestly looks to me as though it's been layered in. I know it hasn't but that's how it looks. I think you could really improve the whole look of the image no end by getting rid of these distractions.

I must admit I hadn't noticed the distractions - as I say, the crosshatching doesn't show on my PC, and I thought the power of the loco came through - how would I go about eliminating them (do you mean crop the photo, as that would make it a very thin portrait, as I wouldn't want to crop the smoke!)?

No! I don't mean crop the photo. Make a background copy and try cloning out the two areas of the trees I pointed out using the smoke from elsewhere in the picture. The same with the two white roof lines. The roller-shutter door might be a more difficult proposition due to its large size. Anyone else got a suggestion on how to make that disappear?

Nice detail in both photos especially the smoke, but the background lets them down for me

With these vintage engines its nice to see them in surroundings that do not have any evidence of modern day living, very hard sometimes, but well worth the effort

Back