85mm 1.8 - Green haze

Name
Mac
Edit My Images
No
Hi, just a general question about the Nikon 85mm 1.8 lens. I bought this lens yesterday and i so love it already, but theres one thing i have noticed. In some of my pictures there is what looks like a green haze across the images! not all of them but ones mostly in high sun. i know this could well be the reason but with my 50mm and other lenses i dont have this. i shot mostly wide open yesterday give or take a few stops. i also have a 62mm UV filter on it. i know il need to practice more to find the sweet spot for this lens but can anyone maybe draw some light on this or maybe their own experiences? Many thanks.

thanks, as requested...here they are. i know the are both over exposed and OOF, i had just received the lens and it was first time using it. is it maybe sun flare of something? thank you

3845229270_d06ffc5f33.jpg

3844438477_36240fe890.jpg

I would try taking off the filter and use a lens hood!

I have had 2 of these lenses and they were both very good even wide open.

i shot mostly wide open yesterday give or take a few stops.

Just for info, a stop is a halving or doubling of the size of the aperture.

A stop from f1.8 is f2.5, 2 stops would be f3.5, and 3 stops would be f5

i cant afford to damage the glass though!!

Well the lens hood will protect it a fair bit. Unless you are particularly careless with your equipment it should not really be a problem. I use filters when I deem thier use necessary if not the lens is used bare.

If you are going to use a filter for protection it is best to use the best you can afford, and preferably a multi-coated version.

Insurance is a better protection than a filter, it costs little if anything to have your camera equipement added to your household insurance.

Well the lens hood will protect it a fair bit. Unless you are particularly careless with your equipment it should not really be a problem. I use filters when I deem thier use necessary if not the lens is used bare.

If you are going to use a filter for protection it is best to use the best you can afford, and preferably a multi-coated version.

Insurance is a better protection than a filter, it costs little if anything to have your camera equipement added to your household insurance.

ok, im with you. ive always used filters so its a habit i suppose. so do you reckon the haze is the filter reason or just my photographing? lol

ok, im with you. ive always used filters so its a habit i suppose. so do you reckon the haze is the filter reason or just my photographing? lol

It's probably a little of both.

I suspect it's flare caused by the high slight backlighting, this would be exaccerbated by the use of the filter (it's bit) and not using a lens hood (your bit).

Just removing the filter may well help as the front element will be multicoated (helps with contrast) and less likely to flare than the filter.

It's probably a little of both.

I suspect it's flare caused by the high slight backlighting, this would be exaccerbated by the use of the filter (it's bit) and not using a lens hood (your bit).

Just removing the filter may well help as the front element will be multicoated (helps with contrast) and less likely to flare than the filter.

thanks, the filter is off and hood on....il go out and practice. cheers

FWIW I keep UV filters on my lenses for protection but take them off whenever there is any risk of glare. If I have to squint or put my baseball cap on then the filter definitely comes off.

I use hoods for protection from damage (almost all the time - can interupt on shoe wide angle flash) and filters when needed to protect from the elements (sea spray, sand in the air - maybe if theres mud flying that kinda thing)

I use hoods for protection from damage (almost all the time - can interupt on shoe wide angle flash) and filters when needed to protect from the elements (sea spray, sand in the air - maybe if theres mud flying that kinda thing)

didnt think of that....i just always bought a filter with every lens and kept them on. its off now and il keep the hood in place, until i need to protect the lens from the elements! thank you

didnt think of that....i just always bought a filter with every lens and kept them on. its off now and il keep the hood in place, until i need to protect the lens from the elements! thank you

its all gd - I did the same for a while then I started experimenting and considering how I was likely to damage lenses in diff ways

I never take the filters off and never have any problems like you've shown us here - I always use a lens hood, however...

I would hesitate to remove the filters outdoors for the reasons you've mentioned - a UV or old-fashioned 'skylight' filter helps protect the front element and cuts down extraneous UV light which is a major cause of 'haze' in outdoor images...

Just watch the exposures and the angle of the sun - to prevent it hitting the front element or filter and USE a Lens Hood...

I would hesitate to remove the filters outdoors for the reasons you've mentioned - a UV or old-fashioned 'skylight' filter helps protect the front element and cuts down extraneous UV light which is a major cause of 'haze' in outdoor images

digital is not affected by UV like film is

Back