9 Photo Accessories I really think were worth the money

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No

1) Canon Selphy postcard printer

The little Selphys are small dye-sub printers that print 6x4’s in less then a minute. I love them because (a) they work, (b) they can print passport photos, (c) they are great for just giving someone a photo to take away from their shoot.

I love dye-sub printers and if I could justify it I would buy a large format dye-sub printer.

2) Black Rapid camera strap

Neck straps are literally a pain in the neck. The black rapid goes over your shoulder across to the opposite hip and your camera hangs just behind your back when out of use. I loved this strap but it did make me feel a bit paunchy (my slimmer assistant loves it).

3) Spyder camera holster

So the Spyder holster was my replacement, this is basically a thick belt that sits on your hip with a very secure mount on it. I can wear this al day long, shoot a full 12 hours of wedding and not feel the weight at all. Terrific.

4) Youngyou radio triggers

I got fed up of losing expensive radio triggers when renting the studios so I went for some of these cheapo radio triggers, but they really are very good. At prices as low as £25 for a pair they really can’t be beat. They don’t do ETTL but in the studio you don’t need it anyway.

5) Extra fast battery charger

I didn’t realise how useful this was until my last one packed in. The idea of waiting up to 6 hours to charge batteries for flash or whatever I find worrying. With a two hour charger I know I can get all the batteries charged for a shoot tomorrow without worrying.

6) Canon speedlite battery pack

This little pack carries 8 AA batteries in addition to the 4 AA onboard my speedlite. On a good day that will last all the way through a whole wedding, although I normally change the whole set before the evening session just to keep the recycle times up. Not only does it give a lot of shooting power it also decreases recycle time. I use it with rechargeables – buying non-rechargeable batteries is bonkers.

7) Off brand batteries

And on the subject of batteries, I’ve always been very happy with the off-brand canon compatibles. A canon branded BP511 is about £60-£80, a non-branded one about £15-£20. They seem to work just as well (but may not show how much battery life is left).

8) Bigger memory cards

Especially when shooting RAW the bigger the card the better. Cards always seem to run out just when the shoot is really zinging. Putting off that moment for as long as possible is great. Also, I always carry enough cards that I know I am not going to have to worry about deleting shots during the shoot.

9) Proshow Producer or Animoto

Both of these tools are slideshow makers, Proshow runs on your computer, Animoto runs on line. When I had decent broadband I used Animoto, but when I moved and my bandwidth dropped it wasn’t practical so I switched to Proshow. Both systems produce excellent slideshows and both systems have their pro’s and con’s. But for presenting to clients and products you can sell both are terrific.

1) Canon Selphy postcard printer

The little Selphys are small dye-sub printers that print 6x4’s in less then a minute. I love them because (a) they work, (b) they can print passport photos, (c) they are great for just giving someone a photo to take away from their shoot.

I love dye-sub printers and if I could justify it I would buy a large format dye-sub printer.

Agree with you on this one, I picked up a refurbished CP800 from Canon for £40 earlier this year and it's fantastic. Everyone's mantra should be "print more" if they want to feel more confident with their photography, and the Selphys are the perfect tool for spontaneous printing.

I've had a Selphy 710 for years and take it on holiday to create postcards from my own shots. They work out cheaper than buying post cards! It's also great to be able to give people photos a few minutes after shooting them (as long as you've got power available - I have a battery pack but don't take it away for weight and regulation reasons).

I have a cp800 that I used the other day, first time in 8 odd months, very much a binable item for me.

Cheap triggers and flash battery packs I do agree with, it took me owning a flash battery pack to realise how good they are, it was like buying a new flash with super fast recycle times.

Back