A bit o figure skating

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Here's a few from a job I did on Saturday, normally I have a good old groan when I have to shoot in this particular ice hall, it's quite small and the lighting is abismal!

It's of the flourescent persuasion and very old and very, very dim.
It's like shooting in near candlelight. A ghastly nightmare for high shutter speeds and high ISO noise.

Upon arrival, I found many lights were broken, leaving loads of dark patches all over the ice. Great.
It's really not an easy job to get good shots at all, I'm not saying the following shots are perfect (far from it) but they are certainly a major improvement to last year though, I'm now shooting with a D3 and so far loving it very much.

_TDW1762.jpg

_TDW2517.jpg

_TDW3344.jpg

Please help me find my other leg!!!
_TDW3614.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this was a thread for sports ;)

Anyway, I think these are excellent - some great captures of movement, as well as the concentration and enjoyment of the participants. (y)

great images considering the conditions, what lens did you use for these?

Cheers (y) A mate of mine bunged me an AFS 80-200 f/2.8 ED, I was very impressed with it to be fair. It's a touch slow AF wise and also a bit loud but never the less a really good value these days.

T.

You (I) cannot tell from these that the lighting was poor, really like No. 1

Thanks mate, the lighting indeed though was poor, the ice hall is very low budget, it is badly in need of a refurb but funds are always low. It's a shame really, there's so much talented girls there in the company.

I'm aware that pretty much all flourescent lights pulse with different tints and also at speeds that the human eye cannot detect.
This really shows up in photopgraphs, each image has a magenta/green tint despite how accurate you set WB. :bang:

Cracking shots!

I hope Father Christmas brings me a D3 or even a D700 - I shoot low light indoor horse events and my D80 is proving more or less useless at some of them! I'm soooo jealous!

Back