A Burst of Light and Heathers, Derwent Edge, Peak District

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I really like this one Andy. Fiddling around scrolling the page up and down I think I'd crop to just below the blown area where to sun is. It catches my eye currently, but when cropped to remove it my eye flows perfectly through the heather, rocks and onto the light on the distant hills.

Fantastic work Andrew. While I see the merit of Jakes' suggestion. I quite like the foreboding cloud at the top of frame, as the mood and drama contrast nicely with the gentler pastel tones of the heather - As always, really enjoyable viewing!

What a beautiful picture. I think when I see landscape photography, people always put a boring rock in the foreground or something not that appealing. In this shot, I find the foreground very interesting as well as working great with your composition.

Lovely image I was on the same edge last night and saw a guy higher up in the wind :) at about 7:00 to 7:30 could that have been you (didnt see another soul) .

hi paul, yep that was me!

Jake, I didnt want to crop this as it would have removed the top half of the foreboding clouds imho, and well the sun will always blow detail, but i have managed to retain finer detail in the clouds around it. cheers, andy

I see why not to crop, the compostion woud be inbalanced. A sky like this shooting into the sun will always give a blown section, this is quite well contained and compositionally its fine, explosure is the right one for the scene.

Did you take any shots facing away from the sun, either side lighting or shooting behind you, a low sun like thats going to give nice golden hues

St4, yep some other shots were taken with sidelighting, but not this scene, behind me there was nothing of interest and there is a shot i have posted yet of some sidelighting as well. Yep, basically with regards to blown stuff, my theory is our human eyes cannot look directly into the sun and retain detail, so what can a camera do :)but to contain the contrasts in this scene, this was a 5 shot multple exposure, hand blended in cs6. Thanks richard

Jake, I didnt want to crop this as it would have removed the top half of the foreboding clouds imho, and well the sun will always blow detail, but i have managed to retain finer detail in the clouds around it. cheers, andy
That's fair enough, the clouds are great so I see why you kept them rather than losing half an image.

I like it as it is. Sometimes a wee bit of blown sun is unavoidable and acceptable, especially when it lights up the land like this.

I think the composition is spot on as it is, and I really don't mind the tiny amount of blown highlights in the sky. I think in this situation it is totally unavoidable!

thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.

Always a sucker for crepuscular rays, Nice shot Andrew.... I'm of the same mind regarding the blown out sun, thats how we would see it so i think its quite acceptable and like you say plenty of detail in the cloud.
Lovely colour in the Heather!

thanks morpheve

Back