A chess tale

Edit My Images
No
When two tribes go to war
Taken with a canon 50mm 1.4 @ f/2
1 x SB80 bare with a blue & purple gel attached to light the glasses in the BG (i altered the colours with this image in post) and a SB80 in a 28" softbox @ camera left to light the chess pieces.

6841831138_f81734e1fd_b.jpg
[/IMG]

When two side come together
Taken with a canon 50mm 1.4 @ 2.8
1 x SB80 bare with a blue & purple gel attached to light the glasses in the BG and a SB80 in a 28" softbox @ camera left to light the chess pieces.

6839270564_003ac2389e_b.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. I attached colour gels to the strobes to light the glasses (I had about 10 different shaped glasses )in the background.

Nice DOF! Would have loved it if the king in the 2nd one was slightly more turned towards the camera... Just a little bit :D

Beautiful backgrounds and really nicely thought out DoF on both of these.

Personally, I'm finding the amount of reflection on the glossy dark pieces a bit overwhelming though. Perhaps having the matte white pieces in the foreground in no.1 would have been more to my taste . . . in fact, I think that reversing it and having the dark pieces oof in the b/g may have actually had more impact against the bokeh :)gag: I hate that word!) too. For no.2 maybe some softer more oblique lighting to minimise the reflections on the queen?

On the whole I really like them both though - in fact, I'm very close to saying I love them :D Fantastic concept, really well executed, could just do with a couple of tweaks to perfect them IMO (y)
BTW welcome aboard, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

:plus1: on the reflections on the black-pieces - i'd have been tempted to give 'em a quick blow-over with "mattifying spray" just to knock the reflection back a little

Could you post a picture of the setup for that background please mate? Its exactly the effect I want for a few ideas I have!

Back