A couple of shots from NYC

Hi
You seem to have a low opinion of yourself but I actually think you're wrong. In #1 you've captured great colours and a great angle of the subject. #2 would have been so much more better though from the front of the subject as it would have been more interesting.
JohnyT

Love no.1. NYC has so many brilliant photo opportunities. I wasn't a big fan of the place, but there is certainly something about it, and being so photogenic is certainly a part of it.

A couple of shots from NYC

any criticism welcome as I'm a self confessed rubbish photographer :)

DSC00181 by mscall, on Flickr

DSC00183 by mscall, on Flickr

I'm not seeing much rubbishness here either. John's right... you need to have some confidence in yourself. I've not seen your RAWs and the resolution you posted them at could be hiding all manner of horrors technically [edit - you posted full res.. didn't realise] , but you've got a good EYE... you can recognise a shot when you see one, so less of this "I'm a rubbish photographer".. OK? :)

The technical stuff is the easy part, so long as you realise that good images are made in camera... not the computer, but from what you're showing me there's not much going wrong here.

One piece of advice though... for night time shots of buildings... don't up the ISO... keep it low, and use a tripod instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I've only ever really shown my pics to friends and family before so I've always basically ignored any praise, and assumed the worst!

I was actually really disappointed with pic number 2 as I tried to get it from the front a few seconds before, but new camera syndrome hit and I had it in all kinds of the wrong modes!!! I bought it specifically for this trip to avoid carting my SLR round, but never really got much time to get used to it.

I shot in Raw+Jpeg and these are just the jpegs with a little bit of processing. I'm still on hol so did it on my laptop on the beach, once I get home I'll start with the Raw files and maybe post up a few more to see what peoples thoughts are on them.

Thanks for the tip for night time building shots, I was intending to go to B+H and buy a tripod while i was there, but never got round to it :(

I do feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the technical side of things, it's just trying to put it into practice consistently that I'm struggling with now

thanks again for the feedback/advice

DSC00087 by mscall, on Flickr

I really liked this one, but another step to the right would have made it far better. I was about to get hit by a taxi though and you have to pick your battles :)

Back