Wild A few from my Farne Island trip yesterday

Getting me exited about my visit later this month! :D
Nice set, did well with the Razorbills and great to see the Tern chicks, hope there are some left when we arrive.

Getting me exited about my visit later this month! :D
Nice set, did well with the Razorbills and great to see the Tern chicks, hope there are some left when we arrive.

You'll love it Gramps. Have you booked an all day trip to Staple and Inner Farne? I only had an hour as I was with my 5yo boy so needed to juggle a bit.

The razorbills shot was from the boat. You should see plenty of teen chicks, these were gull chicks - the terns only had eggs.

Great shots! Very envious, we went last week when the weather was dire and all crossings were cancelled :mad:

You'll love it Gramps. Have you booked an all day trip to Staple and Inner Farne? I only had an hour as I was with my 5yo boy so needed to juggle a bit.

The razorbills shot was from the boat. You should see plenty of teen chicks, these were gull chicks - the terns only had eggs.

Haven't booked as my experience from last year was that it wasn't really necessary, people turned up on the morning and if necessary they added another boat ... will wait and see on the weather as we have two weeks to choose :)

Lovely images, I really like no1 they really have the "cute factor"

We are spending a week in Northumberland from 17 June and plan a visit to the Farnes, this won't be the first time but not for quite a while. Praying for decent weather

Thanks Maggie. Northumberland is a fantastic area, my in laws have just bought a holiday home there so, although I'm from Teesside, I'm up there quite a lot.

We went with Serenity tours and they were excellent. I've been with them twice now, the first time was a full day trip and that gave me lots of opportunity for photography.

Hoping to visit the Farnes in a couple of weeks on the way back down from Scotland.

Unfortunately, we'll have the dog with us so it will have to be one of the "No Landing" cruises. It'll be nice to see it in the flesh though :)

Lovely set - I have booked a 2 week trip to the area ( Seahouses) Next June, so I will be visiting the island at least 4 - 5 times

I hope to shoot Puffins as they are on my Bucket list :D:D:D

Les

Lovely set - I have booked a 2 week trip to the area ( Seahouses) Next June, so I will be visiting the island at least 4 - 5 times

I hope to shoot Puffins as they are on my Bucket list :D:D:D

Les

Great although that's a long way off Les. Make sure you book on to the all day trips that was you get a couple of hours on Staple Island and then a couple on Inner Farne also. I'm tempted to go again myself, this time a solo mission so I can indulge!

Puffins are incredible birds to photograph, they have amazing personality. One bit of advice that worked for me is to not spend too long on trying to get flight photo, they are so fast that it isn't any easy task and you can spend all your time trying to get a good capture.

Your pictures are really great and well taken.
I spent a day there a few years ago, part of an RSPB weekend away but I distanced myself from the crowd and spent all my time watching, studying and filming the birds. I spent a lot of my time with the Puffins which was a real treat but also being able to get so close to the sheer volume of birds of all the different species on the rocks and cliffs is an amazing experience.
I often watch the footage back and try to re live the experience, some very fond memories of a special place.

I intend to go back there again soon, this time on my own and really take it all in.
As previously mentioned, do book the whole day as you need at least that amount of time to really appreciate the splendour of all the birds there.

Last edited:
Your pictures are really great and well taken.
I spent a day there a few years ago, part of an RSPB weekend away but I distanced myself from the crowd and spent all my time watching, studying and filming the birds. I spent a lot of my time with the Puffins which was a real treat but also being able to get so close to the sheer volume of birds of all the different species on the rocks and cliffs is an amazing experience.
I often watch the footage back and try to re live the experience, some very fond memories of a special place.

I intend to go back there again soon, this time on my own and really take it all in.
As previously mentioned, do book the whole day as you need at least that amount of time to really appreciate the splendour of all the birds there.

Chris that sounds like a brilliant day out. I'm like you, I like to try and get away from the crowds and enjoy time watching and photographing. I find being with nature and wildlife a very relaxing pass time and a good escape when I've had enough of people for a bit!

I would like to visit the gannets on Bass Rock, I've seen some excellent images from Richard Shucksmith taken near the Shetlands of them diving and they look great:

012a2451-37b7-4929-9675-e18b2b5800ed-2060x1236.jpeg

Back