A few from the Farnes

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent this weekend in the Farnes, weather was variable to say the least, was either baking hot or raining

1:

5855978118_f781a13d5d_o.jpg

2:

5855977682_0a80ae2420_o.jpg

3:

5855425407_a8d3977d76_o.jpg

4:

5855977940_f06dff3e7a_o.jpg

Still loads more to process and there's more on my Flickr link below

#4 is just stunning. I also like the OOF "shadow" bird in #1.

Great set Kevin, I love the simplicity of #3 (y) Them Puffins though just look like they have a little rose flower in their gob :LOL:

Number 3 all day long, fabulous action shot.

Could do with a tad more space for the bird to take off into..................:shrug:

Great set. I had my first trip there last week, and loved it. Will go back for sure. I like number two here, and makes me wish I'd spent more time on the Terns as I barely pointed my camera at them!

Thanks all,

Cheers Richard, I was following your posts on Facebook, looks like you managed some better weather than I did! It was only my second time there but I can see it being an annual trip.

How busy was it during the week? This weekend wasn't too horrendous but it was still pretty busy everywhere

How busy was it during the week? This weekend wasn't too horrendous but it was still pretty busy everywhere
Pretty busy on Staple when we arrived both days, but the boat company we used were very helpful and always made sure they collected us last so we alaways had a little bit of time on each island with hardly anybody else there.

Thanks again everyone

Keith you have no excuse living so close, best get practicing!

great shots well done
was thinking of going this Sunday. would prefer it in the week time but me and the missus have not got the same days off
what are sundays like ?? and what is the best boat to go with
its 210 miles each way for me so need to make sure i not having a long journey if its going to be too busy and a chance that the boats may be too full

Thanks all

Hi Mark, Sunday was fine to be honest, I've always used Billy Shiels boats, their full day trip with 2 hours on each island is £28. As long as you get there early and book your place there shouldn't be an issue, I went and bought my ticket at about 8:30 each morning and there was only about 10 people on the list by then, the boat takes about 60 people I think

There is also an issue that the boats may not be sailing due to weather and the sea state, inner farn will be closed if it raining to heavily and staple is hard to land on if there's too much swell.

Thanks all

Hi Mark, Sunday was fine to be honest, I've always used Billy Shiels boats, their full day trip with 2 hours on each island is £28. As long as you get there early and book your place there shouldn't be an issue, I went and bought my ticket at about 8:30 each morning and there was only about 10 people on the list by then, the boat takes about 60 people I think

There is also an issue that the boats may not be sailing due to weather and the sea state, inner farn will be closed if it raining to heavily and staple is hard to land on if there's too much swell.

tempting for this sunday
whats it like getting on and off the boats on the islands and whats the terrain like.
reason im asking is for the other half, she just recovering from a suspected broken ankle turns out to be ligament damage
she can get around, but as its weak she is very nervous walking on uneven ground especially if its slippy . im sure she will manage but would like to know in advance what we would be up against
besides camera gear what other stuff will we need to take with us

Staple island it rough terrain with large slippy boulders, it has a large step up from the moving boat and some narrow stairs to climb once off, inner farne has a path all the way around and has a proper landing jetty in calm water.

I'd probably suggest you do a trip to inner farne is she's nervous, there's still good opportunities on inner farne for terns, puffins in flight and on the ground, also a smaller amount of shag, kittiwake, razorbill and guillimot.

Camera gear wise, well if you want closeup head shots and such like as long a focal length as possible I was using a 600mm with 1.4x on full frame and I could have done with getting closer still, birds in flight somewhere in the range of 200-300mm on full frame. I also took a wideangle for getting shots of the terns from underneath mid attack. Flash can sometimes be useful for a bit of fill in on the terns too to prevent the sky getting blown out.

tempting for this sunday
whats it like getting on and off the boats on the islands and whats the terrain like.
reason im asking is for the other half, she just recovering from a suspected broken ankle turns out to be ligament damage
she can get around, but as its weak she is very nervous walking on uneven ground especially if its slippy . im sure she will manage but would like to know in advance what we would be up against
besides camera gear what other stuff will we need to take with us

Last edited:
Yup, I did the all day trip on both Saturday and Sunday

You do the all day trip Kevin? I reckon I was standing right next to you looking at a couple of those shots, lol.

#3 is the pick for me. Although I think they're all great

Can't pick a favourite image , 3&4 are equally excellent action shots :clap:

A really lovely set. I suspect you were on the same boat as me on Saturday.

I didn't manage any shots of the Tern adults, just seemed to be continously attacked by them! Am more than a little envoius of your puffin in flight shot.

Cheers Andrea, I probably was on the same boat there seemed to be quite a few photographers on there both days.

I managed to get blood pouring out of my head on the saturday by a well placed peck through my baseball cap into a vein on my head, that was within about 20 minutes of being on inner farne! The tern shots where down near the jetty as I was avoiding the head peckers after that

Back