A few from the weekend

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
I wondered if it would be worth going to Slimbridge on Sunday as the weather wasn't good but it was well worth it.

First a heron posed right in front of me

Grey heron by Jannyfox, on Flickr

Then a great spot arrived to snaffle some nuts before the squirrel stole them all.

They're my nuts.... no they're my nuts.... by Jannyfox, on Flickr

This is a composite of two images. It's the first time I've tried this, I didn't take them with the intention of compositing them and I know it's not brilliant, but it was a moment in time I just had to try to capture. Any pointers towards how to do it better would be appreciated.

Then a water rail put in an appearance.

Water rail by Jannyfox, on Flickr

I've seen them before there but only fleeting glimpses, but this one got quite bold. In fact I left the hide twice to go to other hides and each time I came back, out it came. Bold as it was, it was still skulking in a very dark corner in poor light and my lens (Tamron 70-300) struggled a bit, hence it's not the best image of a water rail, but since it was the first time I've managed to photograph one, I'm not complaining. Again, if anyone has any tips for these situations they'd be appreciated. I still have a lot to learn.

Nice selection of images there, and clearly a great spot to practice!
#2 for me, as the subject of the squirrel looking on I think is great :D

My comments:
1. He might look better in a portrait crop rather than landscape (but that's minor), but it actually looks like its focussed just 'behind' the head - in fact, at the base of the neck I think - you can see the grass is also quite sharp at the base of the feet, which is behind the head - maybe choose a slightly more open aperture, maybe 5.6-6.3 (to remove some of the depth of field), or/and use 'spot' focus to focus on the eye.

2 & 3 - both looks everso slightly oof, the squirrel in 2 is ok, but the woody has a bit of motion blur, which I'd assume was the feeder swinging.... quite simply, I'd up the speed. 1/125 is a bit too slow (in my opinion) for any 'moving' animal subjects, maybe up it to 1/250+ to freeze the action a bit quicker.
That said, when the light is against you, there is little you can do! although you might be able to have upped the ISO on the water rail to compensate for more speed, I'm not sure how well the 550D would cope with that though.

Anyway, I'll add in my disclaimers - own opinion, not an expert blah blah blah :D

Overall a good set and well worth your visit.

Herons never seem to bother too much, I'd hate to bump into one on a dark night

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Gavin, you're right about the heron might have looked better in portrait, but in the heat of the moment I didn't think about it (just one of the many lessons I have still to learn). It was spot metered (edited - focused was what I meant. It's been a long day....) but even close up I found the face a small target. It didn't help that it was moving very slightly as well. The woody - yes, she was never still for more than a split second. I should have upped the iso at that point but I didn't do that until I started shooting the water rail, when I went from my usual 400 up to 1600. I didn't want to go higher because, as you said, I wasn't sure how the 550 would deal with it. Having seen that it seems to deal with it pretty well, next time I'll try a few non critical test shots even higher and find out what works and what doesn't. The Tamron is, obviously, not exactly a fast lens and the water rail was never still either. I think you've highlighted that I really need to focus (my mind, that is, not the camera) a little bit less on getting any rubbish shot at all costs and a bit more on technique. Still, if it was too easy it wouldn't be as much fun.

Last edited:
although I hate shots of birds on feeders .. I really do, (it's the same as them having peanuts in their mouths), ….. the composition of the second image is attractive …. but still….. IMHO "birds on feeders" are just not acceptable

when you go for "portrait" birds, they are judged on clarity and technically quality ……… that's the way to look forward ….. to improve these aspects … and you can do this Jan with a bit of practice

composition is different ……….good composition can over-rule technical competence ….. and be very attractive

constructive personal criticism, I hope

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. I do see where you're coming from. I generally have the same feelings about birds on feeders, it was just this particular one with the woody and tree rat together. I'd have preferred both to be on the tree but would they oblige...........?
I was lumping composition and technical competence together as both areas I need to give more thought to.
Constructive criticism I like and will never be offended by. I find it too easy not to see the faults in my own images.

Back