A few from Twycross

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
After my trip to Twycross last week, I've remembered why its not one of my favourite places. These were the best of a bad bunch

1. Where are you going?
Twycross Zoo October 11, 2014 768_-Edit.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

2. Sorry did you want something?
Twycross Zoo October 11, 2014 767_-Edit.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

3. Yeah, a cuddle:hug:
Twycross Zoo October 11, 2014 738_-Edit.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

A few others too

4. Yeah, I've seen you
Twycross Zoo October 11, 2014 688_-Edit.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

5. Feeling peckish.
Twycross Zoo October 11, 2014 677_-Edit.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

First tip, don't go on weekends or school holidays ;)

I like the third otter shot, but the first 2 have too much OOF or blurred.

The lemur is wonderful. The otters - lovely captures, a little short of dof, and maybe could be cropped if the resolution allowed. Keep them coming and thanks for sharing.

Not one of the easiest is it Chris :(
I thought about going up there for the leopard cubs but not made it yet
Love that lemur shot (y)

How come?

I find that the place is a little run down now. A lot of the enclosures are brick with glass windows, even the new Leopard enclosures are brick and glass. The best place for the Snow Leopards are in the "Himalaya" reception area before you even go into the Zoo and even then you are shooting through glass which is always dirty around where they lie. I'm yet to see the Amur Leopards, they are always inside when I've been. I did see them this time but on a TV screen with a video link to their sleeping areas. In general the place isn't overly photogenic due to messy backgrounds and walls. A lot of the animals also tend to look miserable.

First tip, don't go on weekends or school holidays ;)

I like the third otter shot, but the first 2 have too much OOF or blurred.

Believe it or not I went on a Saturday and place was deserted, the car park at best was only half full. In fairness I agree on your critique, personally I find them all a bit meh. But I thought Ive made the effort to take them and process them, what the hell. We can't get it right all the time ;)

The lemur is wonderful. The otters - lovely captures, a little short of dof, and maybe could be cropped if the resolution allowed. Keep them coming and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback, for me the best ones are 4 followed by 3. The butterflies Ok, but insects don't really do it for me.

Not one of the easiest is it Chris :(
I thought about going up there for the leopard cubs but not made it yet
Love that lemur shot (y)

Your right, there are very few areas I find that make good pictures, even the elephant enclosure is starting to look a bit industrial. I'm still to be convinced that the leopards exist as I've not seen them. I was rather pleased with the lemur :D

What the hell are those Otters doing? :D

Not the easiest zoo to shoot as you said, Chris.
But you dun good :)
Lemur for me also (y)

Those otters in the first image look to be getting overly friendly!! :eek:

#4 is a great capture, did you use a 70-200 for these Chris?

I find that the place is a little run down now. A lot of the enclosures are brick with glass windows, even the new Leopard enclosures are brick and glass. The best place for the Snow Leopards are in the "Himalaya" reception area before you even go into the Zoo and even then you are shooting through glass which is always dirty around where they lie. I'm yet to see the Amur Leopards, they are always inside when I've been. I did see them this time but on a TV screen with a video link to their sleeping areas. In general the place isn't overly photogenic due to messy backgrounds and walls. A lot of the animals also tend to look miserable.

That's what I was afraid you'd say. I went to Drayton Manor Zoo many years ago (20 ish) and it put me off zoos for life. Animals looking bored and I'm sure if a bridge was available there would have been a queue of chimps and tigers waiting to throw themselves off.

All very upsetting.

#4 is a great capture, did you use a 70-200 for these Chris?

That's what I was afraid you'd say. I went to Drayton Manor Zoo many years ago (20 ish) and it put me off zoos for life. Animals looking bored and I'm sure if a bridge was available there would have been a queue of chimps and tigers waiting to throw themselves off.

All very upsetting.
Yes I was using the 70-200 with all of these.

With regards to zoos, after being to whipsnade and in particular YWP, it makes Twycross look very dated. It also looks as though money may be an issue too as a lot of the construction looks to have been done on the cheap

The lemur is great Chris a nice portrait
like the naughty otters too especially the last one, cant comment on sharpness as I'm viewing on a small screen
I've thought about going there for the snow leopards but apparently the glass makes it difficult to get reasonably sharp pictures

Last edited:
Back