A few Orthopterans

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
#1 Find me! Scroll down for answer
Chorotypus sp. IMG_3880 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Pseudophyllinae katydid nymph, face to face.
Pseudophyllinae katydid IMG_3905 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Pseudophyllinea nymph, profile
Pseudophyllinae katydid IMG_3901 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

#4 Pseudophyllinae, adult of the same species as above, I think.
Pseudophyllinae katydid IMG_3914 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

#5 Dragon-head katydid, Lesina sp.
Lesina sp. IMG_3864 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

#6 Dragon-head katydid, Lesina sp., full body shot.
Lesina sp. IMG_3834 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

The answer to #1. Dead leaf grasshopper, Chorotypus sp.
Chorotypus sp. IMG_3869 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

The same Dead leaf grasshopper, Chorotypus sp., front view. Yes, it's wavy shaped.
Chorotypus sp. IMG_3874 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

More Orthopterans of Malaysia: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2013/02/orthoptera-of-malaysia.html

What an amazing Camo... how did you spot it in the first place or where you just shooting sticks? lol

Did you see it move to know it was there?

Great set and I'm always amazed at your extreme closeup shots.

Gobsmacked yet again ;) amazing just amazing photos yet again Kurt.
WOW :D

You are quite simply one of the most brilliant macro-photographers around and I think we can all agree we're very privileged to have you posting your images here. They're such an inspiration.

The dead leaf grasshopper is just mind boggling but what a very cool creature. The face on shot is brilliant, and those Katydids, just sublime.

What an amazing Camo... how did you spot it in the first place or where you just shooting sticks? lol

Did you see it move to know it was there?

Great set and I'm always amazed at your extreme closeup shots.

Thanks, Bryn. I spotted the dead leaf grasshopper on a leaf while making my way out of the jungle at night :D. Lucky me :)

These were all taken with a 60mm F2 with no extension tubes nor teleconverter. Therefore all 1:1 or lower magnification. The bugs in Malaysia can get really huge.

Superb set

Thank you, Rob.

Gobsmacked yet again ;) amazing just amazing photos yet again Kurt.
WOW :D

Thanks, Graham.

You are quite simply one of the most brilliant macro-photographers around and I think we can all agree we're very privileged to have you posting your images here. They're such an inspiration.

The dead leaf grasshopper is just mind boggling but what a very cool creature. The face on shot is brilliant, and those Katydids, just sublime.

Thanks, Ian. I added the face on shot because I wanted viewers to see that it's not flat, even though it appeared so when viewed from the side (profile).

Back