A few recent ones

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
So my usual subject matter is children but did do a few shots of a friend when he came round. Strangely the adult pics have led to more enquiries than the kids pics (no idea why!)

Anyway, a few recent ones

BWS Hood by Sir SR, on Flickr

because we were talking about shooting at f1.4 in another thread!

BWS mono by Sir SR, on Flickr

BWS_ by Sir SR, on Flickr

James-2 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Sinister by Sir SR, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

Always enjoy viewing your work Shaheed, it has a very distinct and recognisable style, bound by presentation, composition and skilled lighting. Another fine set.

Stunning again, do you have any recommendations for good resources to improve one's portrait photography? I see your using Lencarta smart flashes, how do you rate them? And which model(s) do you have?

Stunning again, do you have any recommendations for good resources to improve one's portrait photography? I see your using Lencarta smart flashes, how do you rate them? And which model(s) do you have?

100% recommend the smartflAshes. although light is light - I started out with speed lights and some of my fave shots are with natural light.

In terms if getting better, I can only tell you what I did. Take LOTS of pics. Look at pics you like, work out why you like them and think about the lighting. Take loads more pics! Put them up for comments/critique. Take comments on board. Take loads more pics!! When I ran out of willing subjects, I did self portraits (although lighting a range if still life subjects may be more beneficial)

Reading wise - light/science/magic, speed lighters handbook, hotshoe diaries. YouTube, strobist websites and the lencarta blog (no I don't work for them but good gear and helpful folk!)

Last and perhaps most importantly. I learned loads from the crit section here. We all do try to help and it has really helped me improve.

Hope that helps!

Shaheed

100% recommend the smartflAshes. although light is light - I started out with speed lights and some of my fave shots are with natural light.

In terms if getting better, I can only tell you what I did. Take LOTS of pics. Look at pics you like, work out why you like them and think about the lighting. Take loads more pics! Put them up for comments/critique. Take comments on board. Take loads more pics!! When I ran out of willing subjects, I did self portraits (although lighting a range if still life subjects may be more beneficial)

Reading wise - light/science/magic, speed lighters handbook, hotshoe diaries. YouTube, strobist websites and the lencarta blog (no I don't work for them but good gear and helpful folk!)

Last and perhaps most importantly. I learned loads from the crit section here. We all do try to help and it has really helped me improve.

Hope that helps!

Shaheed
So kind of you to help with all this info__Thanks.

Gaz

awesome set, I think number 4 is especially good, seems really relaxed but still get a sense of openness and engagement from the subject.

Cheers!

James had come straight from work - he wanted a pic doing and we had ten mins before the lads came round so it was very chilled!

He's a great subject and likes having his pic taken!

Thanks for looking and the kind words

Shahedc

strong portraits Shaheed, not so keen on the last one tbh

Thanks for looking and commenting - the last one wasn't a planned one, it was more that it caught him looking very sinister (which he isn't at all!). I do prefer the other shot of him though!

Impressive work, sir!
Have to say I'm not sold on the cropped heads in the last two though. Just my taste really, sorry.

Back