A few swimming photos

I have to agree with Kipax, and as a 'seasoned' sports photographer he knows what he is talking about.

We seem to be debating again that a good sports shot should be "face in shot, ball in shot, etc etc" why can some people not accept that this does not have to be the case always. I am sure that if one is taking shots to put in a paper or ultimately sell to people then yes they would probably want to see a face. However not all photographers take pics with this goal in mind, therefore can try and succeed in taking different kinds of shots that do appeal to some people. I have said this before and will say again there are no rules, try something different sometimes, don't follow others all the time. Regards Chris.

We seem to be debating again that a good sports shot should be "face in shot, ball in shot, etc etc" why can some people not accept that this does not have to be the case always. I am sure that if one is taking shots to put in a paper or ultimately sell to people then yes they would probably want to see a face. However not all photographers take pics with this goal in mind, therefore can try and succeed in taking different kinds of shots that do appeal to some people. I have said this before and will say again there are no rules, try something different sometimes, don't follow others all the time. Regards Chris.

I am not debating that at all.. I am stating theres a difference between people stating...I like this pic and ....these are amazing pics... You may want to re read the thread before telling us all off :)

Not really a telling off, more telling how it is.

You state
" what you need is to catch the swimmer as they come UP through the water.. showing expresssions and wide open eyes..."

Why? Because that's how 99% of photographers do it? Like I said there are no rules, be different, be bold and don't always follow the norm.

If someone truly believes the picture is amazing then why shouldn't they say it?

End of the day it's all down to personnel choice, but please dont try and get someone to always do the same as you just because you like it that way.

And that's still not a telling off!

you didnt understand my post at all.. I ahve no problem with you or anyone else thinking the picture is good or liking it..you do..i dont.. thats what makes the world go around........ my problem is people saying its an amazing picture.. you really cant see the difference or what I am talking about.. seriously ? OK .. you like the pic.. great.. i dont like the pic... that OK? but then the likes say its amazing... but I dont say its rubbish .... does that make it easier to understand ?

I think that the thing you are not getting here is some folk do find the third shot "amazing","great" and "excellent".

You on the other hand do not like it for a portfolio and are using this dislike as though it is a fact, that the photo is not great, amazing etc.

Then you use this "fact" to say it is not helping the OP and is counterproductive.

This "fact" is not a fact, simply your opinion.

Now do you understand?

Last edited:
I think that the thing you are not getting here is some folk do find the third shot "amazing","great" and "excellent".

oh dear

there is nothign wrong with people finding the picture "amazing","great" and "excellent". is there anyone here apart from Mikesphotaes who doesnt follow that?

there is nothing wrong with telling the op that they think the picture is "amazing","great" and "excellent" .. is there anyone here apart from Mikesphotaes who doesnt follow that?

however telling someone looking for advice that it is an "amazing","great" and "excellent" picture... not that they think it is.. but as some sort of fact that it is an "amazing","great" and "excellent" picture.. thats wrong... hands up everyone accept Mikesphotaes (who we know isnt following this) who doesnt get that?

Mikesphotaes your either trying to find an argument and wind people up (which isnt happening) or you really do think that telling the OP he has cracked it and that he doesnt need to learn anything else because his pics are "amazing","great" and "excellent"

Your simply not following the difference between liking a picture.. and helping the OP with advice.. I am trying to help while your just telling him you like it... theres such a massive difference between the two things.. I find it incredible that you really cant see that?

Last edited:
I kinda like No 3,would i publish if i was a picture editor,maybe if i was looking for something different,as those you cant see the face you can feel the power of swimming :)

ps this is just my opinion and others may have a different view :)

ps this is just my opinion and others may have a different view :)

this is my point exactly.. your not telling the op its an amazng picture.. your not telling him he has cracked the whole concept of photographign swimming... your simply telling him you like the picture.... .... mikesphotoes... can you see the differnce here? the difference between saying you like a picture and telling the op its amazing.. as if thats it.. he is the worlds bets swimming photogrpaher

its the difference between offering an opinion and telling the op hes amazing..?

no? well blimey :)

The most unhelpful thing is people continuing the argument which seems to be based on semantics anyway!

I think everyone gets your point KIPAX, thanks to you and everyone else for your detailed advice, I feel in a much better position now. But I'd appreciate if you took the discussion elsewhere if it's going to keep going as it is!

Cheers, Sam

I think everyone gets your point KIPAX,

Mikesphotaes doesnt... how is me trying to educate him being unhelpful to you?

Again, i'd agree that seeing the face is important, I wasn't even going to upload it because of that. I guess its just lack of experience, this is why I'm on this forum though!
It's not important. The Composition is. If there was a unique splash pattern or amazing light. There is no need to see the persons face.

First shot is your best one btw. 2nd could have been good. U was on to something.

The most unhelpful thing is people continuing the argument which seems to be based on semantics anyway!

I think everyone gets your point KIPAX, thanks to you and everyone else for your detailed advice, I feel in a much better position now. But I'd appreciate if you took the discussion elsewhere if it's going to keep going as it is!

Cheers, Sam

Hi Sam i think you have taken KIPAX wrongly he has offers you some good points.

In the real world out their of a pro photographer things can be very harsh,you can spent a whole shoot trying to produce something different from the rest,only to turn up at an picture editor desk with a smile on your face,only to be told "whats this pile of crap" "I wanted what so and so has done now i got nothing to print".

That doesn't mean you cant try other stuff,but at the end of the day you have to learn the basic and turn in what an editor wants to prints,and maybe later as you get better known you can try and do something different and maybe get them printed.

:)

I agree with KIPAXs earlier points and respect his points as a professional and I understand what he's arguing about with mikesphotaes, but if I was KIPAX I'd have given up the argument because it's clearly not going anywhere. But if no one else can see that, carry on...

Because I'm looking for critique of my photos but it seems you two have taken over the thread with your argument. The critique is helpful, the argument isn't. Now I find myself arguing with you which, again, isn't particularly constructive

Sorry about that, Sam, no more posts from me on your thread.

I agree with KIPAXs earlier points and respect his points as a professional and I understand what he's arguing about with mikesphotaes, but if I was KIPAX I'd have given up the argument because it's clearly not going anywhere. But if no one else can see that, carry on...

Just think of it as its better that your thread and photos have been noticed,than ignored :D

Oh dear.

I nominated that 3rd photo for the Staff Pic(k) of the month and I've just come back to this thread to see all the bickering. :(

Well @SamJT , I can counteract all that by saying Congratulations. Your photo has be selected as the winner for February. Winners thread is HERE

Congratulations. Your photo has be selected as the winner for February. Winners thread is HERE

Congratulations and well deserved, great action photo :)

Oh dear.

I nominated that 3rd photo for the Staff Pic(k) of the month and I've just come back to this thread to see all the bickering. :(

Well @SamJT , I can counteract all that by saying Congratulations. Your photo has be selected as the winner for February. Winners thread is HERE

I think that says more about TP than the photo :thinking:

That 3rd shot is 'head and shoulders' above the first two.... :shifty: (see what I did there?)

Seeing it on its own in the pick of the month thread, it really is a belter. :clap:

Back