A highland wedding

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys,

Over the summer I've gradually been building up my experience shooting weddings, developing my own style and a bit of confidence.

This weekend I was over in Strathconan, a beautiful part of the highlands.

I've attached a few photos and a link to the rest of the set - any critique would be appreciated.

Cheers

1. _DSC8228 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

2. _DSC8349 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

3. _DSC8522 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

4. _DSC8832 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

5. _DSC9294 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

6. A moment in time. by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

Link to the full set here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.703218669753011.1073741924.401689806572567&type=1

There are some lovely shots in the full set too. I really like the colour processing, has a lovely feel IMO.

Excellent work

had a look on your facebook at the full set in my opinion they are just ok pictures nothing special - sorry
just something missing to give them the wow factor that you normally se in a wedding photo set.

Hmmmm ... interesting.

Must have a look at these in the morning ... :)

doing weddings is usuall a very stressfull day for photographers and the bride alike you really need to be at the top of your game to do this type of paid work
as there is no second chance. try to go as the second tog for a established photographer as you can't practise when the couple are cutting the cake or the first kiss
that way you will be getting the practice and experiance without all the stress being on you

Thanks - to be honest I dont stress over it. I explained to the coulpe that I have limited experience beforehand (they are friends and know this anyway). I just stay relaxed and do the best I can I suppose. They are really please with the results but I know I'll get honest feedback here and thats what I need if I want to get better at weddings.

I've got my first proper wedding gig coming up in April... I'll be chuffed to get results like this (and on your facebook link).

Ref the above 6 ...

#1 Lovely.

#2 You were very close to Pete Townshend Nose there, but you got away with it. Slightly more to the left would have given you just a bit more separation between head and reflection and turned a very nice shot into a winner, but that's a counsel of perfection, which you'll rarely get at a wedding.

#3 Nicely framed and well caught.

#4 As above, but in theory lose lose ten points for chopping the bride's fingers off. Problem is, of course, if you'd framed it to include those, you'd then get into a whole new set of issues with his hands, knees and so forth, which is why I personally would say bugger the chopped fingers and leave it as is.

#5 Gosh, something a bit different to the usual first "dance" shot! You also got a nice background, good timing and composition, guests looking happy to be there, and zero bride backfat all at once, so start now getting used to the idea that you're going to shoot a lot more weddings before that combination comes up again ...

#6 Well done for trying that one. For me it'd work even better if the processing was more towards a proper b/w print, and I'm not 100% sold on that crop. If I didn't have to keep the aspect ratio, I'd try cropping it in from the left to just past the r/h corner of that picture on the wall left of the mirror.

Off now to have a look at the full works ...

Last edited:
Hey Sid - thanks.
Really appreciate you taking some time to give a little feedback.
Cheers.

This is a great set. There is the odd one on your Facebook link I wouldn't have included but thats down to rase and style more then anything. The only comment I have is the processing. It looks very like you've used a VSCO pre set to me (I may well be wrong of course) but thats going to strike me as a photographer, rather then something a bride will pick up on, and you've been consistent with it

I don't often look at wedding photographs but the title caught my eye.

I recognised the Community Hall at Milton

Anyway - lovely set.

This is a great set. There is the odd one on your Facebook link I wouldn't have included but thats down to rase and style more then anything. The only comment I have is the processing. It looks very like you've used a VSCO pre set to me (I may well be wrong of course) but thats going to strike me as a photographer, rather then something a bride will pick up on, and you've been consistent with it

Thanks - yes. I've used an off the shelf action that ive tweaked a bit to suit me. I use it for most of the colour shots then adjust accordingly.

Thanks - yes. I've used an off the shelf action that ive tweaked a bit to suit me. I use it for most of the colour shots then adjust accordingly.

Still haven't had chance to look at the full set, but FWIW both of us here rate the processing of the two colour shots above as a lot nicer than much of what passes for the current vogue for "vintage" effect on here.

#5 - nice enough as it stands, but I can't help thinking that if you'd waited, they'd have done something more interesting - unless of course they'd already done it and you missed it!

#6 - shame about her bra on the left, but that's out of your control. Again, it's well seen but I bet as soon as you'd taken this one, the bride looked straight at her with the bra and bingo - a better picture.

#7 - one for the bin AFAIC, if for no other reason than she looks goofy

#8 - you were too far away and you focussed on the wrong person

#9,10 and 13 to 18 inclusive are all excellent.

#21 - another reject AFAIC. I don't see the point of it.

#22 - very nicely done, but a shame they're not central in the frame.

#23 - nicely seen, but when you're shooting a paid gig and they're about to start getting her into the frock, make it easier for yourself by asking them to do it with the bride facing the light ;)

#24,25,26 - lovely.

#27 - I can see what you were aiming for with this picture, but IMO it hasn't worked - mainly because of the light and the fact that the flowers in the kid's hair are somewhat lost in the fussiness of it. I reckon your picture was actually the obvious one.

#28-34 are all very well done indeed, even though I really don't get what's supposed to be going on in #31. It is a natural for a caption competition though :)

#36 - nice, but only just. For those shots, I always liked to do 2-3 frames in quick succession to reduce the odds on a blinker.

#38 - 61 - IMO every single one of those is either very good or absolutely first class. Even including the dreaded fake signing shot.

#63 - 68 as above.

#69 - well caught, but unfortunately not a portfolio picture, simply because of the unflattering expression

And after that they're fine, although you really needed more height for #71 to work best. Maybe next time try a Hail Mary whilst stood on a chair?

Well ... to my way of thinking, the only area where there's real scope for improvement is in making the most out of a developing situation, and that only really comes with experience and familiarity with how things tend to happen at weddings.

I'm seriously impressed.

Well ... to my way of thinking, the only area where there's real scope for improvement is in making the most out of a developing situation, and that only really comes with experience and familiarity with how things tend to happen at weddings.

I'm seriously impressed.

Wow thank you Sid. Thats what I need, some great food for thought in there.
Again, thanks for taking some of your time to do that.
Really appreciated mate.

ps - 31 (the holding hands round the corner one). Not something I have seen before but they wanted to hold hands, swap a present and say a little something to each other without seeing. I took a couple of snaps then left them to have a private moment.

Last edited:
... 31 (the holding hands round the corner one). Not something I have seen before but they wanted to hold hands, swap a present and say a little something to each other without seeing.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation!

... then left them to have a private moment.

Hmmm ... now wondering if that's a euphemism for "to consummate the marriage" ...

Thanks everyone - I dont feel so guilty about taking that 25 year old Glenmorangie as payment now lol

I have recently spent the day as an unofficial togger at a wedding on the understanding I would only be able to provide back-up snaps if anybody knows what I mean - there was an official togger. Neverthless I did do my best. It was without doubt bloody hard work. Anyway, to the point - that set is IMHO a super body of work and I am sure the B&G will be well chuffed with the results.

The whole set does indeed have its own style - would "conversationally formal" sound right or is that pretentious? There is clear technical ability and wonderful artistic merit to the whole set.

Excellent:banana:

Thanks - bit of a thread revival :) looking back on the cc from Sid though and the but about reading situations and learning how a scene can develop is something I've kept in mo d and it's really helped.

A beautiful set, the last one is a stunner for me! I find it difficult to get to do such creative shots with Asian couples on a hectic wedding day.

A job well done Michael! Some lovely moments captured.

C&C wise -

1. Nice shot - would maybe consider a different crop if possible (more space above head and her left shoulder)

2 + 3 splendid

4. Lovely - only niggle for me is the cropped hand

5. Love it! Elderly couple in background are awesome

From a personal taste point of view, I’m not a big fan of the processing used on the colour images - but that is just me :)

Really lovely set of photos, and great to read Serendipitous Sid's feedback on those shared here and on facebook. Like he said very impressive.

Back