A Little Silhouette

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
A photo I took of my girlfriend when I had my camera still - let me know what you think and feedback is welcome (getting a new camera soon when I can afford it).

Silhouette by DanielWinning, on Flickr

sorry I disagree - the subject is not sharp, I would have made the background more abstract looking and used the colours within it.

Not really sure what the image was with this shot, point and shoot something? The idea of the silhouette is a good one, but a bit more work I would say ;)

I love the choice of background in this one. I have a real soft spot for silhouettes and I think the idea behind placing her in front of those colours and textures is superb.

Definitely a load of potential there, but for me it would have been vastly improved with a more interesting pose.
IMO silhouettes of people generally work far better in profile so that there's a suggestion of a face. I tend to think that straight on (especially if the subject has long or curly hair) you just end up with a bit of a shapeless mass where the head should be.
It would have been nice to see her doing something a bit more dynamic and interesting with her arms and hands too. Maybe persuading her to remove her gloves so that you had more definition in her hands?
With silhouettes you're completely dependent on pose and body language to convey the emotion or mood of the image and in the current pose I'm just not feeling anything.

Was this shot taken somewhere local to you?
I'd love to see you go back when you have your new camera ( :woot: ) and give this another go, because the concept is great and I think there's a lovely image to be had there with a bit more planning and work.

really like it....good sharpness and well placed in the frame

Seriously? It's completely soft, and suffers from really bad camera shake due to the 1/6th shutter speed.

Standards of crit in here are sometimes just abysmal!

It doesn't actually detract from the shot, but stop just making stuff up.

No.. it's blurred even at forum res... view it on Flickr at larger sizes and it's blatant.

Back