A question on clouds

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I have a question, forgive me if its simple for most people but because I am a beginner I am noticing everything around me ( wasn't before) hares my question..

What do most people do when out and about and see a photo opportunity ( landscape or other scene) and there's no drama in the sky ie no colour, shape. Nothing just a dull grey colour?

Is it post-processed?

I wouldn't use PP but others might. There's nothing wrong in that so long as you admit it's what you've done. But for me it's just an excuse to go back again another day when the light/conditions are better and try again.

Leave the sky as much out of shot as possible! OR, have a selection of "good" sky shots on your computer and be prepared to spend some time in PP adding them afterwards. Maybe aim for dramatic silhouettes? Have a play and see what you can come up with.

Hi
I have a question, forgive me if its simple for most people but because I am a beginner I am noticing everything around me ( wasn't before) hares my question..

What do most people do when out and about and see a photo opportunity ( landscape or other scene) and there's no drama in the sky ie no colour, shape. Nothing just a dull grey colour?

Is it post-processed?

Lighting can not be compensated for in post processing. With landscape, If the lighting is not right, then you don't take the photograph, that's my opinion. One of the skills in Landscape photography.. if it is a skill.. is the patience to get to know a location in all forms of lighting, and seasons, and revisit the place regularly to get the light just right.

However... why must a landscape always have "drama" in the sky? Who made up that stupid rule? Why go for the lowest common denominator: eye candy... why not be more subtle? Eschew the popular or you'll just be doing what everyone else is doing. Are grey skies not a feature of life in Britain? Why assume they are of no worth?

Unless you're very good in Photoshop, adding a sky from another photo usually looks pants. So I wouldn't bother. Is it so important to have "drama" that you resort to adding it digitally?

Last edited:
I would pp a sky that is in the photo, but would not add one from some other shot. I'm sure I don't have the skills to do it well, but it is not something I want to do anyway.

I feel that in taking landscape shots you should get the best out of what you are presented with, not add something that was not there.

As already well put above, a grey sky is a reason to go back and try again; and grey skies are what we have, from time to time, in the UK - use them to the best. This may be including them in the shot or using the very even light from a grey sky to help you produce a good shot that includes no sky at all.

Dave

Look for something to get around that, and hopefully come back to the same location in different weather.

For example, whenever I shoot outdoors in an overcast day, I look for interesting detail on the ground, and I look for scenes that will be interesting in black-and-white.

Why look for detail on the ground instead? Why do all this stuff to avoid a grey sky as if there's some rule that says grey skies are not allowed?

Why look for detail on the ground instead? Why do all this stuff to avoid a grey sky as if there's some rule that says grey skies are not allowed?
It just seems boring on most photos. I wanted to give the OP some ideas on what he can do if he looks at a scene and sees a bland, boring sky that he doesn't want.

Looking for detail on the ground is best in overcast days, because you want cast a shadow on it.

The other obvious issue, is that a flat grey sky is a giant soft box, it won't create the light on the ground that a more dramatic sky will produce.

A sky isn't just part of the picture, it's also your light source.

There's no such thing as 'bad' light, however you need to think about how your light affects your subject, and what that creates in your final image.

As David said though, there's more to shooting landscapes than creating eye candy.

Take the photo when they sky looks like you want it to - whether that is flat grey, clear blue, dramatic and stormy, or black and full of stars.

This. If you're not finding it interesting in the real world, no amount of photoshop can make it interesting as a photo. Make a note of location, come back when the weather's right.

Gotta agree with Phil - if the sky is dull/flat, then it probably won't be showing the lanscape off to it's best either. Dull, flat lighting is great for some things like details and macro shots, but not so great for creating interest in a landscape.

Last edited:
One of the skills in Landscape photography.. if it is a skill..

Lol :D Pookey, get that big wooden spoon in the pot and give it a good old stir. :bat:

The "Lanscape" forum posse will be here any time now with their hangman's noose looking for a well composed and aesthetically pleasing tree to swing you from. :exit:

Last edited:
No doubt.

Not stirring anything though... it's a valid point. Why discount grey skies as boring? We don't live in a world of perpetual sunsets and storms.

Thanks for all your input peeps. It was a question that bothered me. I have in the past seen some great shots in books, mags etc of a scene that's stunning. When I cover the sky with my hand the image still looks great. Is that the sign of a great photo or has it been photoshoped or am I just talking complete b****x:exit:

Thanks for all your input peeps. It was a question that bothered me. I have in the past seen some great shots in books, mags etc of a scene that's stunning. When I cover the sky with my hand the image still looks great. Is that the sign of a great photo or has it been photoshoped or am I just talking complete b****x:exit:
As above - it's the light.

Some subjects suit grey skies.

For example, waterfalls and scenes inside woodland where you don't want the high contrast levels that bright sunshine brings.

Industrial landscapes look best under grey skies, in my opinion, too. It's what could be called "honest light", with none of the glamour that the sun can bring.

And there's nothing so boring as a blue sky without cloud.

Sometimes you get a flat grey sky with gorgeous golden light pouring in from a break in the cloud cover at the side or from behind. Providing contrast and drama in the landscape.
In my opinion, those are the conditions for the most aesthetically pleasing, eye-candy landscapes.

Some subjects suit grey skies.

For example, waterfalls and scenes inside woodland where you don't want the high contrast levels that bright sunshine brings.

Industrial landscapes look best under grey skies, in my opinion, too. It's what could be called "honest light", with none of the glamour that the sun can bring.

And there's nothing so boring as a blue sky without cloud.
I think that's it, but it doesn't happen everyday. It's just experience I guess. Which I have none ( but I'm learning!)

I'd be patient and wait till the sun is a bit more down, or come back if possible. At end of the day you sometimes just have to walk about home with the camera and shoot another day.

Back