A set from Lyme Regis

Edit My Images
Yes
Critique appreciated:

I'll do yours - please do the same for me further down the thread. (y)

1 - Good idea, but it's a bit flat and the stern needed to be in focus too. Highlights appear to be blown, and the image could have more density. This might have been worth trying B&W on because the lack of colour might increase the impact.

2 - Nice - good focussing and bokeh, great expression. Unfortunately she still disappears into the background a little and you needed to leave just a little more space because yu've cut across her shoe.

3&4 - Prefer the colour because it gives more strength to the shape of the wall and the blue is quite evocative. The B&W version is a bit flat, although larger versions of both might be more impressive. A little more space either side of the bends in the wall would have helped too.

5&6 - They aren't really saying anything TBH. 5 has no subject, shape or pattern to lead the eye through, and looks like an image taken at random - sorry. 6 has some shape but there's nothing compelling about it and it looks flat again.

All except 3 and 4 look like snaps to me, rather than intentional photographs created to convey a message or impression.

I *hope* that's useful - sorry if it comes off as just criticism.

Last edited:
Its easier to critique with settings. im not a fan of the shots im affraid and i think your exposures are a lil off. 4 and 5 seem a lil dark and lacking contrast. 1 has some blown highlights. 2 is the best shot bit youve just clipped the kids foot.

Good critique. Thanks guys.

1st, I'd say is just a little too bright at the top, I mean I'm all for punchy high contrast or high key or whatever, but I just think it should probably be a bit darker, also I think you've shown a bit too much of the space below the boat; again I understand you've probably tried to go for an edgy composition, but I think it would work better with a larger breathing space for the back of the boat.

2nd, Everything is perfect - beautiful soft lighting, great depth of field and background, except I'd like to see all of both feet; it's just ever so slightly chopped off.

3rd and 4th, Colour for sure on this one, and well it's very nice apart from the left side is chopped off. I think I would have done two shots merged to show just enough of the whole walkway.

5th, great colours, nice composition using the reflections, I just think the railing is a bit off putting.

6th - does nothing for me sorry!

If you wouldn't mind critiquing my 'Morrocan street photography' in return please?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the critique. Very helpful. I did have one without the foot cropping issue but didn't think it was as good.

Back